Pre-Game Talk: Opening Week Part II (MIN, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Since Guenin and Holden's awful performance in pre-season was considered good in Roy's eyes, even a blowout loss to the Wild probably won't even be enough to pull them out.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Since Guenin and Holden's awful performance in pre-season was considered good in Roy's eyes, even a blowout loss to the Wild probably won't even be enough to pull them out.

Not at all true, they're both on short leashes. Gormley is better than both, so there's no way he doesn't jump ahead of Holden after he makes a colossal mistake this week. Stuart could very well supplant Guenin or Holden very quickly just by virtue of being a veteran.

Gormley will have the difficult job of making it impossible for Roy to sit him. Which I think his preseason showed he is capable of playing like if he can just have the fortune on playing in games where we do score.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lets just try to pretend those two don't exist so we can all remain excited for the game. :laugh:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
At least it had to be pointed out when Gormley wasn't playing well because he played wel a lot. Guenin and Holden were just consistently terrible. Every time they touched the ice, you knew we were about to get hemmed in.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It is one game yes, but we all know the flipside of the coach favorites are the guys they just dont like for whatever reason. Thats why half the time you see a guy get traded and he plays well for the new team your like "wow he's good why couldnt he do that over there" I dont know man ask the coach

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Didn't Roy said he was going to talk to his assistant coaches before making a decision on D pairings?

Obviously the assistant coaches felt like Guenin and Holden were better options than Gormley and Stuart.

I just don't know what do they see different than us because Guenin and Holden don't look like NHL players. And it doesn't help when Peter McNab praises those two all the time either.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I dream of the day when we're free from the torment of watching AHL depth defensemen play as regulars in our top-6.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He knew what he was doing. Z and Holden were a pair on Tues. actually Z mentioned it whenever it was he was interviewed.

Yep... he didn't want to embarrass Stuart publicly. He even tried to change the message for Stuart.

There will always be someone to hate.

Yep.

Yeah but it Guenin accidentally scores tonight, I'm going to laugh so frikkin' hard!!!

If that goal happens to be a GWG... I expect a shrine to be built out of crow bones.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
There will always be someone to hate.
Ain't that the truth.

I remember yelling at my TV that Gusarov was a piece of sh$t many, many times. Once he was retired I yelled at Skoula for making bonehead passes all the time. Now that Guenin is playing he gets the wrath of Kahn.

I believe fans like to complain about somebody or something when things don't go well; and sometimes even when they do 9-).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If they're going to make Rantanen play LW, I'd rather it just be next to Duchene. Ease him in here on the third line and then hopefully he'll get bumped up if he looks good.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd be willing to wager Guenin will have a better +/- than zadorov at the end of October

He gets to play next to Barrie so I wouldn't doubt it. Zadorov is still a bit raw and he's stuck with Holden, that's not a good combo. I'm not a big fan of the Zadorov-Stuart pairing either but at least Stuart is smart and can try to help the young guy a bit.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I seriously dont know how you can sit there with a straight face and say Holden AND Guenin were better than Gormley in pre season. How? What game were you watching behind the bench? Gormley can make a break out pass and he can read the play faster and better than those two dopes. The one knock I have on Gormley is hes not elusive enough and gets hit too often for my liking but thats it. Gormley can actually box players out of the crease. Nick Holden got outmuscled by Shawn freakin Horcoff. How does that go un noticed by you Patrick Roy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad