Speculation: Opening Night Roster Surprises?

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
I still think Lazar makes it. he brings energy, and it's contagious. I believe he was captain on one of the junior championship teams. Along with some of the players acquired; it seems like Botterill wants to bring some winning culture into the locker room. (plus he's Canadian.)

Reactions: Mitts888

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I still think Lazar makes it. he brings energy, and it's contagious. I believe he was captain on one of the junior championship teams. Along with some of the players acquired; it seems like Botterill wants to bring some winning culture into the locker room. (plus he's Canadian.)
Tongue in cheek?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Sure, like he has been all sorts of a winner since, what with being a flop as a Sen and then unable to stay in the NHL with the Flames.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Whom does y'all think playing in the first pp unit? Skinna - Eichel - Reinhart - Miller - Dahlin?

Y'all have a real solid group this season and if the package is righfully played, even playoffs is possible. I'm bowing down here treal hard baby.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Take out Miller, add Olofsson.
Is that like a bank y'all? Meaning have they trained together and is olofsson like that talented krueger would immediately push him to the limit like scarface did? On the first PP (I'm in aww baby right here)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is that like a bank y'all? Meaning have they trained together and is olofsson like that talented krueger would immediately push him to the limit like scarface did? On the first PP (I'm in aww baby right here)

Not sure at the word salad, but it is likely that Olofsson sees the first PP unit as the shooting option on the right side.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
PP1 as mentioned seems set in stone:

Eichel - Left half-wall
Dahlin - Point
Skinner - high slot
Olofsson - right half-wall
Reinhart - net

I can see Kruger having to cycle through a lot of guys to see what fits best for PP2. Risto, Miller, Mitts, Thompson, Erod, MoJo, Vesey, Sheary, Montour and Okposo all seem like realistic candidates, not that I'd particularly like to see some of those listed in that position.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Lol I'm laughin treal hard.

Gotta find some PP time for Miller, though- guess he just QBs the second unit? That first unit looks real good- only possible change would be to take out Skinner or Olofsson, put Miller at point, and have Dahlin as more of a roamer. Miller's got the clapper and might be more defensively responsible, and it leaves Dahlin free to dance down the wing if he likes. Just a thought, maybe an idea to shake things up if the PP isn't clicking at some point. I do think Olofsson looks good enough for PP1 though, and it feels odd leaving Skinner off PP1- although he didn't score many PP points last year, oddly enough.

Anyways, can we please get rid of Sheary? We got Vesey, he doesn't look terrible- one 15-20 goal scoring 1-dimensional player is enough. I just really f***ing hate Sheary's game and figure he can be moved with something else for some value.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Sure, like he has been all sorts of a winner since, what with being a flop as a Sen and then unable to stay in the NHL with the Flames.
Its unreal how bad this kid has been and posters are chosing him as a favorite over scoring for grit. I dont know if some may think he will change in Buffalo but he already had his change of scenary trade in Calgary and Buffalo hasnt been known to put anyone over the top.

Honestly if we go into the season with Elie and Lazar that is two more plugs in the bottom 6 who add absolutely nothing other than grit which is almost worthless to winning a hockey game.

If they cant defend or cant score there is no need for them in the modern NHL.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Opening night roster surprises???

Thursday October 3rd. Sobotka not on the roster. As part of ceremonial opening night puck drop, Sabretooth pushes a button thereby launching Vlad Sobotka - wearing a 1999 Dallas Stars #22 Brett Hull Sweater and Rory Fitzpatrick's skates with a puck between them bolted to the floor - in a Sabres logo-emblazoned blue, gold, & white rocket to the sun.

Not counting for the orbital variation in the distance between the sun and the earth, using the simple average value taught in grade school of 93 million miles, and a plausible mean velocity of 20000 miles per hour for the capsule over the duration of the trip, the total transit time to the sun will be 194 days, meaning the date of arrival with the sun will be April 4th 2020, COINCIDENTALLY (I think not ;) ) the final day of the 2019-20 Sabres season.

The rocket will arrive at 10pm / 2200 hours, immediately after the Sabres clinch the playoffs for the first time in 9 years.

Since Vlad Sobotka is the black hole of hockey, his arrival with the sun will destroy everything in our galaxy, along with our chance to finally watch Sabres playoff hockey.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

Gotta find some PP time for Miller, though- guess he just QBs the second unit? That first unit looks real good- only possible change would be to take out Skinner or Olofsson, put Miller at point, and have Dahlin as more of a roamer. Miller's got the clapper and might be more defensively responsible, and it leaves Dahlin free to dance down the wing if he likes. Just a thought, maybe an idea to shake things up if the PP isn't clicking at some point. I do think Olofsson looks good enough for PP1 though, and it feels odd leaving Skinner off PP1- although he didn't score many PP points last year, oddly enough.

Anyways, can we please get rid of Sheary? We got Vesey, he doesn't look terrible- one 15-20 goal scoring 1-dimensional player is enough. I just really ****ing hate Sheary's game and figure he can be moved with something else for some value.
Y'all already know. That's what I'm bout you know what I'm talkin bout. Miller has that incredible hard shot. That goes through suckas. Interesting to see if y'all is right and correctamundo with that olofsson talk. Y'all is treally knowing ice hockey I see that. I'ma keep poppin here every now and then out of huge respect y'all. Keep keepin on that thang up mayne :clap: :sun:

Deleted member 27798

Especially with the injuries to Bogo, Montour, and Pilut, anyone think Borgen has a shot at being with the big club...at least until the injuries clear up.

In terms of play in his own end, I'd like to know if he has the advantage over Joker and Nelson.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Opening night roster surprises???

Thursday October 3rd. Sobotka not on the roster. As part of ceremonial opening night puck drop, Sabretooth pushes a button thereby launching Vlad Sobotka - wearing a 1999 Dallas Stars #22 Brett Hull Sweater and Rory Fitzpatrick's skates with a puck between them bolted to the floor - in a Sabres logo-emblazoned blue, gold, & white rocket to the sun.

Not counting for the orbital variation in the distance between the sun and the earth, using the simple average value taught in grade school of 93 million miles, and a plausible mean velocity of 20000 miles per hour for the capsule over the duration of the trip, the total transit time to the sun will be 194 days, meaning the date of arrival with the sun will be April 4th 2020, COINCIDENTALLY (I think not ;) ) the final day of the 2019-20 Sabres season.

The rocket will arrive at 10pm / 2200 hours, immediately after the Sabres clinch the playoffs for the first time in 9 years.

Since Vlad Sobotka is the black hole of hockey, his arrival with the sun will destroy everything in our galaxy, along with our chance to finally watch Sabres playoff hockey.

congrats on winning the internet for the day my friend....speech, speech, speech!

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Especially with the injuries to Bogo, Montour, and Pilut, anyone think Borgen has a shot at being with the big club...at least until the injuries clear up.

In terms of play in his own end, I'd like to know if he has the advantage over Joker and Nelson.
he definitely has advantage over Nelson in my eyes

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Borgen looked really good with Dahlin at last year's Prospect Challenge, right? No harm in trying those 2 together instead of Dahlin - Nelson? (Any of the stats guys have data on how Dahlin-Nelson were as a pair?)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Borgen looked really good with Dahlin at last year's Prospect Challenge, right? No harm in trying those 2 together instead of Dahlin - Nelson? (Any of the stats guys have data on how Dahlin-Nelson were as a pair?)

IIRC Dahlin-Nelson did well, but they were mostly deployed together at the beginning of the season playing sheltered 3rd pairing minutes (~16 mins/game).

Reactions: DolanPlsGoSabres

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Speaking of PP units...I think it is quite clear who we want as PP1...but what about PP2? Lots of options....

Wonder if they would continue to use 2 RHD likey they did in last preseason game.

Johansson - Thompson? - Mitts
Risto - Miller

Depending on if Thompson makes it I guess. But could also see any of Sheary, ERod, Okposo or Vesey getting runs on it.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
he definitely has advantage over Nelson in my eyes
Borgen hasn't looked great in Pre-Season in my opinion. He seems to fit the bill of a third pairing defender in the NHL, but not someone that can play with Dahlin long-term. That said, Nelson is also in that same boat. They're kinda screwed until Montour (and even Bogo) get back to health.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Borgen hasn't looked great in Pre-Season in my opinion. He seems to fit the bill of a third pairing defender in the NHL, but not someone that can play with Dahlin long-term. That said, Nelson is also in that same boat. They're kinda screwed until Montour (and even Bogo) get back to health.

Miller-Risto-Jokiharju isn't a bad group of RD. There's no elite #1D there, but there still won't be when Montour and Bogo are healthy. But there's good depth there, and we should still be able to roll 3 pairings.

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
who on our team (a sub par team) has been all sorts of winner in the last 10 years? I think a team needs a bunch of different types of players to be successful, and I feel like he's an element we've been lacking in for a long time. like I said, I think he has an infectious attitude that we've been sorely missing. just my opinion.

Reactions: Dingo44

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Anyways, can we please get rid of Sheary? We got Vesey, he doesn't look terrible- one 15-20 goal scoring 1-dimensional player is enough. I just really ****ing hate Sheary's game and figure he can be moved with something else for some value.

when Jack played the point on the PP, we had the best PP in the NHL. So why have Jack play anywhere but the point?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Its unreal how bad this kid has been and posters are chosing him as a favorite over scoring for grit. I dont know if some may think he will change in Buffalo but he already had his change of scenary trade in Calgary and Buffalo hasnt been known to put anyone over the top.

Honestly if we go into the season with Elie and Lazar that is two more plugs in the bottom 6 who add absolutely nothing other than grit which is almost worthless to winning a hockey game.

If they cant defend or cant score there is no need for them in the modern NHL.

Have you watched him in the preseason? To my mind he has looked noticeably involved offensively, his D isn't bad, and he forechecks and backchecks well. He's 24 and his career hasn't gone as projected, but he just seems hungry as hell to stay in the NHL. I guarantee nothing, but I also wouldn't assume he sucks given he's looked pretty good in his time in Blue and Gold. I'd give him a shot to start the season, if he doesn't have it Rochester awaits. I'd take his all-around game over Sobotka or Sheary, though (I know, high bar).

Elie does suck though, what he's still doing around I don't know.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Have you watched him in the preseason? To my mind he has looked noticeably involved offensively, his D isn't bad, and he forechecks and backchecks well. He's 24 and his career hasn't gone as projected, but he just seems hungry as hell to stay in the NHL. I guarantee nothing, but I also wouldn't assume he sucks given he's looked pretty good in his time in Blue and Gold. I'd give him a shot to start the season, if he doesn't have it Rochester awaits. I'd take his all-around game over Sobotka or Sheary, though (I know, high bar).

Elie does suck though, what he's still doing around I don't know.
He has been playing against AHL rosters, he has done nothing any other player hasnt done who has already been sent down.

Add to our horrible offensive woes with some goals from the bottom 6 and I will change my tune until then any player can be engaged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad