Speculation: Opening Night Roster Surprises?

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Agree or not they feel he can drive a line from the wing.

I’m guessing they feel the best version of Sam is on the wing. Add in they feel he can drive a line from the wing and well he isn’t out at center.

They’re probably right. But I’m someone who has been advocating trying Sam at center. So it’s still frustrating.

If they feel he can drive his own line from the wing - which I'd agree with - they ought to stop wasting him on Eichel's right side.

Seeing them put most of their eggs in one basket with the forwards and Ristolainen skating on the top pair with Dahlin makes me fear that the new coach is going to repeat the same glaring mistakes as his predecessor.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
135 of those games before he turned 20... He should have NEVER been in the NHL at that age - OTT set his development back and then gave up & flipped him to CGY. Sort of the same thing the Sabres are doing to Mitts...

Lazar has had a deal & is still only 24 - but his upside is there. What upside should we expect from Elie/Girgs/Vlad?
Girgenson was rushed into the NHL at age 19 after a mediocre year in Rochester to play on some of the worst teams in hockey. He busted his ass trying to be a scorer only to be turned into a checker by Bylsma who had no interest in developing him. Girgensons was a tanker when he was 20 and suffered through some of the worst coaching and management in history. Lazar got to play on some decent teams and even in the playoffs. Lazar's raw deal was room temperature. Girgensons deal was body temperature. It was rawer. I want them on the same line. We'll call it the raw line.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Girgenson was rushed into the NHL at age 19 after a mediocre year in Rochester to play on some of the worst teams in hockey. He busted his ass trying to be a scorer only to be turned into a checker by Bylsma who had no interest in developing him. Girgensons was a tanker when he was 20 and suffered through some of the worst coaching and management in history. Lazar got to play on some decent teams and even in the playoffs. Lazar's raw deal was room temperature. Girgensons deal was body temperature. It was rawer. I want them on the same line. We'll call it the raw line.

Im not taking away from what Girgs is or how he got here, just stating his ceiling is what we've seen day in and day out for years now... Lazar is still relatively unknown as far as I'm concerned - based on his WJC and junior/AHL play his ceiling seems like it could be higher than what we've seen so far.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
After the "Roster Surgery" the biggest surprise will be.. The Sabres will be almost the same roster as last year..

Well...it does depend on the surgery, but sometimes on the outside you still look more or less the same post-surgery, but what's inside might be different. Hopefully the mentality planted by Phil and his checking detail is flushed out.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Lazar and Casey Nelson on waivers, along with Elie and Wilson.

Thompson, Asplund sent down (along with Pilut)

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
26 still up but 4 are going to IR..UPL, Bogo, Montour and Hunwick. So someone will likely be called up. Not sure if its cap purposes to have 22 active players or not but you would have to think Tage comes back up to fill the last spot.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You guys are selling me... I like the idea of Lazar. You can make the argument that he hasn't necessarily been "the answer" for other teams, but it's not like most of the guys we have/had were the answer for us either. If none of them are going to be the answer anyways, give the spot to the guy with heart and drive over the guys who don't.
ehhhh, forget answers, some of the Sabres don't even understand the question

Lazar-us! It's a thing, I'ma make it a thing.

All I can do is go by what I've seen, and Lazar has looked good in an incredibly small sample size- if it's not there send him down, but the blind negativity is tiring. Let's like, at least try to have hope that we won't be **** for once, aye? Not aimed at you, just the general negativity of a lot of posters. We have some dead weight that's been proven to be dead weight- Lazar ain't it. Meanwhile we're all high as **** on 24 year old Olofsson, and rightfully so I think, but we just write off Lazar who's all of 5 months older. I prefer him over Sheary or Sobotka at this point. I think he challenges Girgensons as our best grinder dude. If I'm wrong, no biggie, Amerks await- but I think dude could be useful.

I am low on Mitts though. Kid showed nothing last year, nothing in the preseason. Doubt it happens, but it'd be interesting if Krueger pushed for Mitts to start the year in the A, light a fire under his ass. I'd say it'd kill his confidence but he doesn't seem to have any- let him go ppg in the A and then bring him up when you get rid of some of that aforementioned dead weight.
Lazarus... dead... blind...

Lazarus! Lazarus!
Girgensons - Larsson - Lazar the miracle line

I do like the idea of having more than 4 passable centers on an NHL roster. 6-7 preferred.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->