Haven't seen it mentioned but looks like the lineup on Thursday night will be

Tkachuck-Stutzle-Batherson
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Jospeh
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Holden

Article mentions the lines up front are set but the situation on D is fluid. Zub has a minor injury, if he can't go Zaitsev will take his spot.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021

Haven't seen it mentioned but looks like the lineup on Thursday night will be

Tkachuck-Stutzle-Batherson
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Jospeh
Kelly-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Holden

Article mentions the lines up front are set but the situation on D is fluid. Zub has a minor injury, if he can't go Zaitsev will take his spot.

Someone mentioned that at Monday practice, Timmy was back with Alex and Claude.
🤷‍♂️

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Normally the 7th defenseman takes the hurt defenseman's spot to not disrupt the normal pairings. In this case the 7th defenseman would be Holden.
Except in this case the 7th dman is Zaitsev so they want Chabot with the better player for practice?

The Norris Stu switch actually looked pretty good, and seem like more natural fits given the strengths of the various players.

I’d run with it for a while.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good catch, so that lends credence to happy accident theory, though they di choose to pay it out as three columns for the forwards and two for the d which immediately suggests lines and pairings
I think the presentation of the roster was done by an amateur!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think this is the lineup I'd like to see, based on how preseason went. I was expecting more from Kelly.

Tkachuk-Stützle-Batherson
DeBrincat -Norris-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Joseph
Watson-Kastelic-Brassard

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Holden

Forsberg
Hellberg
Much rather have Kelly. Brings an element this team doesnt have in a pest and added physicality. He is also a much better PKer. Dont think the rat thing matters as much in pre season.

Not ideal to have the 2 pure goal scorers on the same line though. Giroux's playmaking is still good but we should have a dual threat (Stutzle, Batherson) on each line too

I find these duos make the most sense

DeBrincat-Stutzle
Norris-Batherson

Lines could be :

Tkachuk-Stutzle-DeBrincat
Giroux-Norris-Batherson

or the expected

DeBrincat-Stutzle-Giroux
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
They arent breaking up Giroux and Debrincat thats nuts. Debrincat can dish it just as well as shoot it, Norris on that line makes sense. Wasnt enough puck to go around with G and Stutzle in my opinion. Batherson has shown strong chemistry with Stutzle. To me the lines DJ is going with makes alot more sense than the Debrincat Stutzle Giroux line ever did.

I cant imagine Zaitsev is playing for any other reason than Zub is out. Kinda weird though they just wouldnt plug him into Zub's spot for practice unless Zub might actually not be able to play. Which is troublesome.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
DeBrincat-Norris-Giroux as a 2nd line is gonna be a matchup nightmare if that’s what it ends up being

Reactions: bert

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Someone mentioned that at Monday practice, Timmy was back with Alex and Claude.
🤷‍♂️
He spoke about Chabot-Zub and Sanderson-Hamonic as good players in preseason but no word on the others 3. Saying the lineup for game 1 could be different game 3,4,5 on D. So i fear we will see Zaitsev comme back soon at the first mistake, probably for Brann who is not the vet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Much rather have Kelly. Brings an element this team doesnt have in a pest and added physicality. He is also a much better PKer. Dont think the rat thing matters as much in pre season
If he plays the way he did last year, I'm good with Kelly, I was just really disappointed with his preseason.

Reactions: TheNewEra

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If he plays the way he did last year, I'm good with Kelly, I was just really disappointed with his preseason.
He scored though he always finds ways to score. If he stops being an agitator sure take him out but I think that's ingrained in him. Not as much emotion being played with in pre season. Don't think his game is suited for it. But we'll see.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He scored though he always finds ways to score. If he stops being an agitator sure take him out but I think that's ingrained in him. Not as much emotion being played with in pre season. Don't think his game is suited for it. But we'll see.
That's just it though, in past camps he's always been the hardest worker out there, I didn't see it this year, he seemed complacent by comparison.

Hopefully he can just flip the switch come reg season, but I'm worried (worried might be too strong a word here) he only played that way because he thought he needed to fight for a spot, and now that it's his, the spark isn't there. I kind of feel like having him be a scratch opening night might be the kit in the butt that gets him going again, he's not good enough to take nights off.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's just it though, in past camps he's always been the hardest worker out there, I didn't see it this year, he seemed complacent by comparison.

Hopefully he can just flip the switch come reg season, but I'm worried (worried might be too strong a word here) he only played that way because he thought he needed to fight for a spot, and now that it's his, the spark isn't there. I kind of feel like having him be a scratch opening night might be the kit in the butt that gets him going again, he's not good enough to take nights off.
Give him an actual game before you scratch him, he's a young player too. Screwing with his confidence isn't the move here. He also got hurt in pre season. He didn't get to play on the pp or with first liners like Brassard did. He's an undrafted player I doubt he forgot where he came from.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Give him an actual game before you scratch him, he's a young player too. Screwing with his confidence isn't the move here. He also got hurt in pre season. He didn't get to play on the pp or with first liners like Brassard did. He's an undrafted player I doubt he forgot where he came from.
If his confidence was so fragile that being a healthy scratch, something he's been many times before, was going to cause problems, he wouldn't have made it this far as an undrafted player. This wouldn't be the first time he faced adversity and it won't be the last. Really strange take on your part imo.

If health was the reason for his performance, the coaches would have a good idea of that and know if he's back to being healthy enough to compete at the level he needs to in order to have success, so if they think he's good to go, I'm fine with that. No PP time or playing on top lines is irrelevant to what I saw and what he needs to bring though, I'm not concerned that he didn't light it up, I am concerned with the energy and physicality, or lack there of, that he brought. That's what makes or breaks his game at the NHL level, so if he isn't showing it I don't see the point of having him in the lineup.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If his confidence was so fragile that being a healthy scratch, something he's been many times before, was going to cause problems, he wouldn't have made it this far as an undrafted player. This wouldn't be the first time he faced adversity and it won't be the last. Really strange take on your part imo.

If health was the reason for his performance, the coaches would have a good idea of that and know if he's back to being healthy enough to compete at the level he needs to in order to have success, so if they think he's good to go, I'm fine with that. No PP time or playing on top lines is irrelevant to what I saw and what he needs to bring though, I'm not concerned that he didn't light it up, I am concerned with the energy and physicality, or lack there of, that he brought. That's what makes or breaks his game at the NHL level, so if he isn't showing it I don't see the point of having him in the lineup.
Its opening night when you have been told you are on the team that's a strange thing for the coaching staff to do. What players did last year matters. Brassard doesnt fill the role that Kelly does. Screwing with players confidence who have a long term future with the team over a guy that is almost out of the league doesnt make a lick of sense. Sorry cant agree with that one.

Brassard had 1 game where he was a bottom 6er with no PP time and he was terrible. Opportunity absolutely matters. He showed best playing up in the lineup. These are the two players you are comparing its absolutely relevant. It was common knowledge that Kelly was battling injury in the pre season. If he isnt ready he shouldnt play but the coaching staff is going to base his evaluations on what he has shown them. He didnt forget how to play the game.

That's the first line IMO
I mean they have two first lines. Which is why its so exciting and the reason for being optimistic. Cant wait to get going!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its opening night when you have been told you are on the team that's a strange thing for the coaching staff to do. What players did last year matters. Brassard doesnt fill the role that Kelly does. Screwing with players confidence who have a long term future with the team over a guy that is almost out of the league doesnt make a lick of sense. Sorry cant agree with that one.

Brassard had 1 game where he was a bottom 6er with no PP time and he was terrible. Opportunity absolutely matters. He showed best playing up in the lineup. These are the two players you are comparing its absolutely relevant. It was common knowledge that Kelly was battling injury in the pre season. If he isnt ready he shouldnt play but the coaching staff is going to base his evaluations on what he has shown them. He didnt forget how to play the game.

I mean they have two first lines. Which is why its so exciting and the reason for being optimistic. Cant wait to get going!
If what you did last year didn't matter then he shouldn't be on the roster at all based on his preseason imo. He didn't bring what makes him effective, and if thats due to injury fine, but he doesn't help this team unless he's bringing the energy and physicality that was sorely lacking from his game in preseason.

Honestly if you think it's screwing with his confidence to have him sit opening night, well I disagree with you on that. He know where he is in his career, he shouldn't be taking anything for granted, if its due to injury you can make it clear he's back in when healthy, if its due to complacency you can make it clear what he needs to do to get back in. He isn't the type of guy to fold in the face of a little adversity. Both Brassard and Gambrell had better preseason, I like the idea of rewarding Brassard because he did well and knows full well that he likely sits more nights than he dresses but it could just as easily be Gambrell. Kelly will get games, likely more than Gambrell and Brassard combined if he plays the way he can and stays healthy, but as of right now I'm not seeing it. Guys need to earn their spots, especially fourth line guys, and imo he didn't do that. I had high hopes for him this year and I just don't see the spark so far, maybe he just needs a few more days rest and will be ready for opening night but based on preseason we have better option than what he's shown imo.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If what you did last year didn't matter then he shouldn't be on the roster at all based on his preseason imo. He didn't bring what makes him effective, and if thats due to injury fine, but he doesn't help this team unless he's bringing the energy and physicality that was sorely lacking from his game in preseason.

Honestly if you think it's screwing with his confidence to have him sit opening night, well I disagree with you on that. He know where he is in his career, he shouldn't be taking anything for granted, if its due to injury you can make it clear he's back in when healthy, if its due to complacency you can make it clear what he needs to do to get back in. He isn't the type of guy to fold in the face of a little adversity. Both Brassard and Gambrell had better preseason, I like the idea of rewarding Brassard because he did well and knows full well that he likely sits more nights than he dresses but it could just as easily be Gambrell. Kelly will get games, likely more than Gambrell and Brassard combined if he plays the way he can and stays healthy, but as of right now I'm not seeing it. Guys need to earn their spots, especially fourth line guys, and imo he didn't do that. I had high hopes for him this year and I just don't see the spark so far, maybe he just needs a few more days rest and will be ready for opening night but based on preseason we have better option than what he's shown imo.
If they are going to replace him it should be with a physical player or a guy who can PK. So Sabourin up or Gambrell. This lineup is already not very hard to play against having Brassard in a 4th line role doesnt make sense when there are other options. I dont think Brassard showed anything in terms of pre season play that says he should be rewarded with icetime in that roll. I like the signing and the player but he doesnt fit the identiy of that line. The team has lots of scorers and PP guys he is redundant when the top 6 is healthy.

I also think Kelly was better than you did I guess. He didnt turn pucks over, he pk'd and he produced. He wasnt as physical as usual but I think thats because he didnt want to get hurt in meaningless games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If they are going to replace him it should be with a physical player or a guy who can PK. So Sabourin up or Gambrell. This lineup is already not very hard to play against having Brassard in a 4th line role doesnt make sense when there are other options. I dont think Brassard showed anything in terms of pre season play that says he should be rewarded with icetime in that roll. I like the signing and the player but he doesnt fit the identiy of that line. The team has lots of scorers and PP guys he is redundant when the top 6 is healthy.

I also think Kelly was better than you did I guess. He didnt turn pucks over, he pk'd and he produced. He wasnt as physical as usual but I think thats because he didnt want to get hurt in meaningless games.

Yeah, I'd say we probably do have different evals of his preseason which is fine. I was just left really disappointed, hope he gets back to his old ways in the reg season, bacause I really liked him last year.

And good point about the PK, our top 3 PK forwards from last year are all off the roster for one reason or another (Paul, Brown, and Formenton), we've added Pinto who will kill penalties and looks like Joseph will get reps but we'll probably want options until the cream raises to the top and we know who this year's top units are

otown

Sep 4, 2009
With this lineup the pressure is on DJ to get results. Excuses will fall on deaf ears at this stage!
Time to perform at a playoff level!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
With this lineup the pressure is on DJ to get results. Excuses will fall on deaf ears at this stage!
Time to perform at a playoff level!
I don't think that is going to be achieved, so why set yourself up for disappointment? This is still a very young team with 4 centers averaging 22 years old. People's expectations are completely unrealistic

Reactions: Ice-Tray

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Kelly on the 4th line is a no-brainer for me, particularly on opening night. His energy, physicality, & motor are perfect for the 4th line. I also like the Kelly-Kastelic-Watson combination a lot. More than the sum of their parts.

Reactions: bert and Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't think that is going to be achieved, so why set yourself up for disappointment? This is still a very young team with 4 centers averaging 22 years old. People's expectations are completely unrealistic
I love the excitement, I just don’t think we should be pairing it with wanting heads to roll if we don’t take an immediate giant leap.

This team has room to make a substantial step forward and STILL not make the playoffs this year.

Go Sens!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kelly on the 4th line is a no-brainer for me, particularly on opening night. His energy, physicality, & motor are perfect for the 4th line. I also like the Kelly-Kastelic-Watson combination a lot. More than the sum of their parts.
See, that's the problem though, the attributes that you've pointed out make him a perfect 4th liner just seemed absent this preseason, at least to me. Bert mentioned he had some injury issue which might explain it or maybe he just didn't want to get hurt in meaningless preseason games, but to me he needs to be the player you're describing and not the one I saw in preseason if he wants a spot in the lineup.

I'm not against him being in the lineup, I just think he didn't do enough to write off exploring other options for opening night, particularly if Kastelic is playing who imo did provide that much needed physical play.

Hopefully he'll play like he did last year as I'd agree that a Kelly-Kastelic-Watson line has potential that exceeds the sum of the parts.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad