The Grigorenko "play it safe Lineup"

Van-Hodgson-Poms
Foligno-Ennis-Staff
Leino-Hecht-Ott
Ellis-Grigorenko-Kaleta

Sekera-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Leo-Regehr

X : Scott, Weber, Brennan, Pardy (waive 1 defensemen)
IR : Gerbe, McCormick

The "Grigorenko is like Myers" Lineup

Van-Grigorenko-Ott
Foligno-Ennis-Staff
Hecht-Hodgson-Pommer
Ellis-Leino-Kaleta

Sekera-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Leo-Regehr

X : Scott, Weber, Brennan, Pardy (waive 1 defensemen)
IR : Gerbe, McCormick

I'm hoping Pomms testimony of Hecht's prowess In Manheim is valid. That 3rd line could be a puck posession nightmare for opponents.

If Hecht is good to go, it also, hopefully, fills a PK slot for another year.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
What is your opening day roster for the Buffalo Sabres?

Vanek- Hodgson- Pomminville
Foligno- Ennis- Stafford
Leino- Grigorenko- Ott
Scott- Hecht- Kaleta

Defense:
Myers-Leopold
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Sekera

Ott - Hodgson - Vanek *
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Leino - Hecht - Pominville **
Gerbe (Scott) - McCormick (Ellis) - Kaleta ***

* Ott on Hodgson's line buys protection for his linemates and insurance on face-offs, something Hodgson is still average at. We also saw Vanek thrive when playing RW.
** Hecht and Pominville have a lot of history and chemistry - and I think Ruff will resort to pairing them up. Hopefully, their solid defensive awareness compensates for Leino on the line and maybe Leino will pick up his offense. It has the potential to be a really good puck-possession, 2-way line.
*** Scott and Ellis are fill-ins only for as long as Gerbe and McCormick remain out IMO.

The wild card is Grigorenko IMO - even if he impresses in camp, I still have a scary feeling the Sabres won't slot him in the top 9. Using him in 4th line minutes will stunt his development.

Myers - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Leopold - Regehr

Last edited:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I find that to be such a myth.

It depends on the player and situation of course. Grigorenko obviously isn't the ideal player for that situation, as playing him with teammates who can't finish is not taking advantage of his abilities unless you get him a lot of PP time.

In favor of it, though, is the fact he's played a large portion of his juniors season already, getting top minutes, as well as being a top player on his team in the World Juniors. So if this did happen, it's not like he didn't get a lot of time in already.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The one thing to consider about Grigo is one of his biggest weaknesses was his conditioning. They might want him in with the Sabres strength and conditioning coaches, and that could be beneficial.

Then again, I assume Quebec has that covered too...

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
I like the forward lines. I could also see switching Ott and Pommer.

I'd like to see one of the D traded, and I don't think Brennan will be in the AHL as he has to pass through waivers. I hope for something like...

Myers-Sekera
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Brennan

I think you have to have leopold in there, and I think Brennen still ahs to prove himself a little more before he is a top 6 d-man

my line would be

Vanek-Ennis-Pominville (Pure scoring line)
leino-Grigorenko-Stafford (could be a spark line)
Ott-Hogson-foligno (tough line that can score)
Ellis-Scott-Kaleta (punishing line)
extras- Leino, (gerbe should play as soon as he' ready)

I think having 2 lines that are purely made for scoring is good and i would put those 3rd and 4th lines out there to wear down the opponent and maybe get chances to score themselves. Im not in favor of putting two solid scorers with a tough guy because it doesn't do much for chemistry....If the third line chips in here and there and the fouth line is solid on D and knocks the other team around im fine with that

and defense

Myers/Sekera (sekera has proven he's a top 3 dman)
erhoff/sulzer
regher/leopold
x-1-Mcnabb,2 Brennen,3 Pardy,4 Webber

all three solid d-lines but any of those lines can add to the offense..

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm not a fan of Leopold-Myers, but given how the D performed down the stretch (when healthy), how can you not start with:

Leopold-Myers
Sekera-Regehr
Sulzer-Ehrhoff

That group played great down the stretch last year until they started dropping like flies, and were a huge reason the Sabres were even in the hunt for the playoffs entering the final 10 games.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Though I like the idea of a Sekera-Myers pair...but in a 48 game season you don't have the luxury of experimenting. Stick to what works, and then if it struggles or guys get hurt then look at moving things around.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Considering Grigs plays, the Sabre top 12 forwards regardless of combination are playoff quality... I'm concerned about defense and the off chance Miller is not ready for a playoff run...

Defense depth is the real Sabre issue..

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I'm with everyone that you can't break up F-E-S, they might have been lightning in a bottle... but I HAVE to know.

My preference for initial lines would be as follows:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Leino - Grigorenko - Ott (Ott takes draws)
Scott/Ellis - Hecht - Kaleta

Myers/Sekera
Sulzer/Ehrhoff
Regehr/Leopold
Brennan
Weber

I think with these lines you can shield Grigs away from top competition for the most part while still giving him capable wingers who can score when needed. I also want him glued to Thomas Vanek on the powerplay.

PP1:
Grigorenko
Vanek
Ott (I can be talked out of this, but I want my top faceoff man on the top unit)
Pominville
Ehrhoff

PP2:
Hodgson (possibly Foligno, but I think Hodgson's vision could be a real asset with Ennis' elusiveness)
Ennis
Stafford
Sekera
Myers

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I like having 2 PP units that attack using different systems.

Stafford - Ennis - Grigorenko
Myers - Pominville

Line works off the half boards on a constant cycle looking for Stafford in the low slot or the far side defenseman creeping into the high slot. Utilizes Ennis and Grigs mobility and playmaking ability to set up quality chances.

Leino - Hodgson - Vanek
Erhroff - Leopold

Works the point shot with a left right combo for 1 timers. Vanek sets up in his office while Hodgson and Leino use puck control to draw the pkers off the points. If they don't all 3 can snipe from the slot.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Opening night roster announced: *

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grig-Ott
Ellis-Hecht-Kaleta
Scott - extra
Gerbe - IR
McCormick - IR or waivers

8 D (Weber and Brennan- extras)
Pardy - waivers

Miller, Enroth

* just my prediction folks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta
Scott, McCormick

Leopold-Sekera
Regehr-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Weber

Miller
Enroth

Waived/dealt: Pardy, Ellis, Brennan

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Why would any of Pardy or Weber be waived? Both players would at least have alittle bit of trade value, Buffalo could always move Pardy and keep up to half of his salary.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why would any of Pardy or Weber be waived? Both players would at least have alittle bit of trade value, Buffalo could always move Pardy and keep up to have of his salary.

Pardy carries a $2 million contract. For a non-descript 5/6/7 guy, that's pricey. His contract cost impinges on his trade value, making him more likely to slip through waivers if it comes to that.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta
Scott, McCormick

Leopold-Sekera
Regehr-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Weber

Miller
Enroth

Waived/dealt: Pardy, Ellis, Brennan

This is what I'm really hoping our roster looks like on opening night, 4th line even has some skill, I really like it. In the games that may be more physical/chippy we can put in Scott.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Pardy carries a $2 million contract. For a non-descript 5/6/7 guy, that's pricey. His contract cost impinges on his trade value, making him more likely to slip through waivers if it comes to that.

Yes, but at 1million the Sabres could likely move him. Depends if Buffalo would rather pay 2m for him to playin the minors or move him and retain some of his cap hit. At 1mill their would be a market for him.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
My opening night lineup would be as follows:

Vanek - Hodgeson - Pommer
Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
Gerbe (If healthy)/Scott - Hecht - Kaleta

I like the VHP line because Vanek looked comfortable with CoHo last year, and I hope to build on that. Pommer can add to scoring and fill in for any defensive lapses cody or thomas have. He can also take faceoffs if CoHo is having trouble. FES is just too intruiging to break up right now. Even without the balance of skills and sizes, the sparks from last year can't be ignored. LGO IMO is the best line to set Grigorenko up for success. Not an overwhelming amount of minutes from the top line, generally weaker matchups, a setup guy in Leino, and some Gritt in Ott. My question is how does ott fair camping the crease? He could put up some big numbers there with grigorenko constantly throwing pucks at the net as he is prone to doing. G(s)HK will be as solid a defensive line as you could get, and IMO should double as our first PK unit. All three of them have the hands to put up some secondary scoring if needed as well. I like this line a lot.

Regehr -Myers
Sulzer- Ehrhoff
Leopold - Sekera

All three are skilled pairings that will hopefully get ready to go faster then last year. Not much to say individually. 2 of pardy weber and Brennan get traded for picks or prospects.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If the Sabres are willing to eat a bit of Pardy's salary (probably at least half), I think they could get a 5th-7th rounder. At $2m, I don't see many teams interested. He could probably move Weber for a 4th or 5th, but at this point the depth Weber provides is likely more valuable than that draft pick--and if you want to get that pick for Weber, just wait until the trade deadline and move him then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy is putting Leo on the market. Based on the Oduya and Fistric trades, Darcy is absolutely justified in holding out for at least a 2nd rounder for Leopold. The problem is that teams are probably loathe to move a 2nd before the season. On the other hand, playoff teams will be more likely to move a 2nd at the deadline when the demand for available players far exceeds the supply, and the team acquiring team has a better handle on its needs. I don't want Darcy to undersell on Leopold merely to fix his numbers crunch.

As for the Opening Day lineup, I'd go:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Grigorenko-Leino
Hecht-Kaleta

Sekera-Myers
Leopold-Regehr
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
TJ Brennan

Myers
x Enroth

I know people don't like playing seven defensemen because it's quirky and not generally accepted by The Establishment, but if you're going to keep Brennan on the roster, you might as well make the most of his one NHL skill, and that's his PP shot. I seriously doubt that Philly dresses Shelley if Buffalo scratches Scott, and the only justification I can see in dressing Scott is showing off your lone FA acquisition to the new crowd who may be thirsty for spilled blood against the hated Flyers. But Philly led the league in PIMs last year, and there's a good likelihood Buffalo will have a few PP opportunities on Sunday, so I say give Brennan (a Philly-area kid) an opportunity in a game for which I'm sure he'll be very amped up.

You can do a lot of things with Hecht-Kaleta combo. If you feel like making it a more defensive line, you can throw Ott, Hodgson or Pommer out there with them. Or, given Hecht's ability to play center or wing, you can double-shift a hot forward.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I like having 2 PP units that attack using different systems.

Stafford - Ennis - Grigorenko
Myers - Pominville

Line works off the half boards on a constant cycle looking for Stafford in the low slot or the far side defenseman creeping into the high slot. Utilizes Ennis and Grigs mobility and playmaking ability to set up quality chances.

Leino - Hodgson - Vanek
Erhroff - Leopold

Works the point shot with a left right combo for 1 timers. Vanek sets up in his office while Hodgson and Leino use puck control to draw the pkers off the points. If they don't all 3 can snipe from the slot.

Flip Leo and Pommer, then you have one RH shot and one LH shot on the back end of each unit. It makes one timers easier, plus Ehrhoff-Poms is a scary point shot combo. Also, for that 2nd unit, i'd consider sometimes replacing vanek with foligno so his body faces less abuse

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
As for the lineup, here's what I'm hoping for:
Poms-Hodgson-Van
FES
Leino-Grigs-Ott
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta

If we don't have grigs...
Poms-Hodgson-Van
FES
Leino-Hecht-Ott
Gerbe-Ellis/McCormick-Kaleta
are gerbe and/or mccormick going to be ready for the game sunday?

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Considering Grigs plays, the Sabre top 12 forwards regardless of combination are playoff quality... I'm concerned about defense and the off chance Miller is not ready for a playoff run...

Defense depth is the real Sabre issue..

Really? How so? That might be our biggest strength.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy is putting Leo on the market. Based on the Oduya and Fistric trades, Darcy is absolutely justified in holding out for at least a 2nd rounder for Leopold. The problem is that teams are probably loathe to move a 2nd before the season. On the other hand, playoff teams will be more likely to move a 2nd at the deadline when the demand for available players far exceeds the supply, and the team acquiring team has a better handle on its needs. I don't want Darcy to undersell on Leopold merely to fix his numbers crunch.

I agree. And with the short season there may be even fewer sellers at the trade deadline (April 3) this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad