Opening night roster has to be ______.

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
What is your opening day roster for the Buffalo Sabres?

Omitting the spectacular and many trades Darcy is SURE to pull off before the (19th/20th?) first game, here is a logical and, in my opinion, the most talented roster the sabres could play to start the season.

Vanek- Hodgson- Pomminville
Foligno- Ennis- Stafford
Leino- Grigorenko- Ott
Scott- Hecht- Kaleta

Gerbe/Tropp/McCormick injured, Adam AHL

Defense:
Myers-Leopold
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Sekera

Rotate Weber-Pardy as fit
McNabb, Pysyk, Brennan AHL

This is definitely the best group of players we could play opening day with the talent we currently have, with combinations variable. I would love to see some of these defense-men traded for a top 6 forward that could give us three legitimate scoring lines, and by trickle down, some skill on the fourth line (Ott) as well.

P.S. I also love the idea of pairing Grigorenko with Leino. Leino was at his best in Philly when paired with Briere and Hartnell (two VERY good players). He creates space and oppurtunities for skilled guys. Ville, I suspect, will never be a contribution unless paired with talent. His whole deal is hanging on to the puck and buying time for his line mates. If his mates are hacks and can't do anything with the puck, his skills are more or less wasted. You have to play your players to their strengths or get new players. cough**(ruff/regier)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
same, I also think its a forgone conclusion that Grigorenko will be with Buffalo if he can compete out there, in a short season their will likely be frequent injuries he could get a good opportunity.

buffswords

Feb 2, 2012
Hamburg NY
I agree. That is our best opening lineup with the players we have. But to make it better, I want Darcy to try to gat Maxime Talbit from the Flyers. Adds a little bit of grit and skill for a decent cap hit.

Vanek-CoHo-Leino/Pominville
F-E-S
Pominville/Leino-Talbot-Ott
I-Don't-Care

I too belive Leino needs to be around better people, not scraps like alot of last year.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
I agree. That is our best opening lineup with the players we have. But to make it better, I want Darcy to try to gat Maxime Talbit from the Flyers. Adds a little bit of grit and skill for a decent cap hit.

F-E-S
I-Don't-Care

I too belive Leino needs to be around better people, not scraps like alot of last year.

Leino was given plenty of chances last year and was a dud...

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I wanna see:

Leino - Hodgson - Vanek
Foligno- Ennis- Stafford
Ott - Grigorenko- Pomineville
Scott - Hecht- Kaleta

last chance for leino.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
All I know is that Grigs better get the 6 game tryout minimum. He is easily as of now one of the 12 best forwards in the organization and Thats all that matters. I could care less about "burning" a year of his ELC, trying to postpone it for a "full" season is loser talk.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
With who? Brad Boyes? A too injured to produce Derek Roy? The slowest line ever with Adam and Kassian? He played with two decent players for the first 40 games, Ennis and Stafford, but not at the same time, and with an anchor on each line in the aforementioned Boyes and Roy.

Leino didn't do himself any favors but to argue that he was put in a position to succeed is asinine. Ennis/Leino-Leino/Ennis-Stafford should have been a line for the first half of the season, but it took Ruff 40-something games to put that combination together because he had to work "his son" back into the lineup.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

You're right. 100% right. Leino was a dud last year. You're also saying 1/6th of his contract wasn't worth it. You're also saying production thru 5/6ths of his contract is unknown.

These next 30+ games (before traded deadline) will be a very good indicator as to what Leino can and can't do for the Sabres. At that point 1/3rd of his contract (for all intents and purposes) will have been played. I think then a more educated and informed opinion of Leino and his future as an effective NHLer will be clear. Knee jerk one bad season reactions for any player is simply dumb. But some sports fans can be ..... *bites tongue*

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
But to make it better, I want Darcy to try to gat Maxime Talbit from the Flyers. Adds a little bit of grit and skill for a decent cap hit.

I wanted him to sign him when he was an available FA. Still have no idea why he didn't even give the guy a look. No idea.

NoClue4u

Dec 8, 2008
Boston, MA
What is your opening day roster for the Buffalo Sabres?

Vanek- Hodgson- Pomminville
Foligno- Ennis- Stafford
Leino- Grigorenko- Ott
Scott- Hecht- Kaleta

Gerbe/Tropp/McCormick injured, Adam AHL

Defense:
Myers-Leopold
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Sekera

Rotate Weber-Pardy as fit
McNabb, Pysyk, Brennan AHL

I like the forward lines. I could also see switching Ott and Pommer.

I'd like to see one of the D traded, and I don't think Brennan will be in the AHL as he has to pass through waivers. I hope for something like...

Myers-Sekera
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Brennan

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
All I know is that Grigs better get the 6 game tryout minimum. He is easily as of now one of the 12 best forwards in the organization and Thats all that matters. I could care less about "burning" a year of his ELC, trying to postpone it for a "full" season is loser talk.

5 games... once he plays game 6 he can't go back...

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

F-E-S
I-Don't-Care

Leino-Roy-Pommers was together for quite some time.

I forget the site but I think one of the fantasy hockey websites lists most common linemates. If someone could post that it would be most helpful...I'm too lazy to look it up myself :laugh:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

I forget the site but I think one of the fantasy hockey websites lists most common linemates. If someone could post that it would be most helpful...I'm too lazy to look it up myself :laugh:
It was dobberhockey, but they've since put it behind their paywall, and only have line combos for the last three games available for free. Behindthenet is the next best thing, but you can't exclude defensemen for forwards and vice-versa, which is a total pain.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester

Loser talk?

You're looking long term with a guy like Grigorenko. He's almost definitely one of the best 12 forwards in the organization at this time, but that still doesn't mean he should be on the team. Whatever is best for his development is what needs to be considered, it's extremely short-sighted to simply say he's one of the best 12 forwards so he needs to be on the roster.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Loser talk?

You're looking long term with a guy like Grigorenko. He's almost definitely one of the best 12 forwards in the organization at this time, but that still doesn't mean he should be on the team. Whatever is best for his development is what needs to be considered, it's extremely short-sighted to simply say he's one of the best 12 forwards so he needs to be on the roster.

Agree with this. Btw ... "short sighted" is his middle name :biglaugh:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Loser talk?

Terry Pegula:The sole existence is to win the Stanley Cup.

It's a contradiction saying he is one of the 12 best forwards but that he should be sent back :shakehead This isn't the 90's anymore, cup winning and playoff teams are playing teenage rookies.Think Tyler Seguin needed another year of junior?:laugh: He was mediocre his rookie season and his 2nd year is now a legit 1st line player.Grigs is a similiar level prospect and I think he will do a lot better then most rookies do.He scored nearly a goal per game, he's ready and should be in the lineup.

And yes many fans want him to stay down so we can "preserve" his ELC so it won't get "wasted" in a 48 game season.(Which last time I checked counted just as much as an 82 one.)And it's not like a few million in cap space one year earlier then they want is a big deal at all.That is the loser talk I'm referring to.I'm sick of waiting for "next year", he's ready now and needs to be in our lineup.He gives us a better chance of winning, not debatable.Only thing debatable if it's better for his development to play the 2nd half of the season in the Q, or help his NHL team try to win for a cup.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Terry Pegula:The sole existence is to win the Stanley Cup.

It's a contradiction saying he is one of the 12 best forwards but that he should be sent back :shakehead This isn't the 90's anymore, cup winning and playoff teams are playing teenage rookies.Think Tyler Seguin needed another year of junior?:laugh: He was mediocre his rookie season and his 2nd year is now a legit 1st line player.Grigs is a similiar level prospect and I think he will do a lot better then most rookies do.He scored nearly a goal per game, he's ready and should be in the lineup.

And yes many fans want him to stay down so we can "preserve" his ELC so it won't get "wasted" in a 48 game season.(Which last time I checked counted just as much as an 82 one.)And it's not like a few million in cap space one year earlier then they want is a big deal at all.That is the loser talk I'm referring to.I'm sick of waiting for "next year", he's ready now and needs to be in our lineup.He gives us a better chance of winning, not debatable.Only thing debatable if it's better for his development to play the 2nd half of the season in the Q, or help his NHL team try to win for a cup.

Ummm ya actually thats debatable, we've never seen grigs play against men we dont know that he's ready and makes this team better. He could get shutdown by NHL D and be a defensive liability or he could light it up, we dont know yet

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Switch Leino and Ott, and I'm game.
I'd actually switch Grigo and Cody. Terrifying thought, but the kid is the best defensive center on the roster unless Ott can do more than just take faceoffs.

Edit, although Ott is fifth in the league in them (check NHL.com).

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Ummm ya actually thats debatable, we've never seen grigs play against men we dont know that he's ready and makes this team better. He could get shutdown by NHL D and be a defensive liability or he could light it up, we dont know yet

Exactly.

Against NHL teams Grigs may absolutely suuuuuuuck. He may be pretty good. No one knows and to say you do know what he will be like is ignorant, and nothing but hope. Pure simple hope. And in a short season, banking on the hope of a rookie being good or going thru the typical growing pains is very risky. It could turn out awesome. it could turn out real bad for him.

Hell, Foligno could very well digress this season. Being a rookie it wouldn't surprise me.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Or Grigs can come in and score 40+ points in 48 games this year, win the Calder and lead the Sabres back into the playoffs.We don't know yet and my prediction is just as valid and has the probability of happening as yours.

You are right, we don't know how Grigs will perform in the NHL this season, because he hasn't played an NHL game yet.What he has done though is lead the CHL in rookie scoring last year.He has scored almost a goal per game in the Q this year.He performed admirably at the WJC this year and was one of the most impressive players there this year.He has turned every major hockey analyst heads this year and has many people excited about his ability.

I have no doubt in my mind that Grigs is already far better then a guy like Jon Scott or Patrick Kaleta, two guys that are penciled in our lineup.Scott is barely NHL caliber and he is penciled in to play probably half the season.Kaleta, aside from drawing penalties,throwing borderline checks and playing on the PK doesn't do much else.Ruff has already gone on record saying that Grigs can make the team playing on the 3rd or 4th line and getting PP time.

Speculating about what Grigs may or may not do is exactly that, speculation.We won't know until he gets in training camp and goes against NHL talent.If Ruff + Regier didn't think he had a chance of making the team I don't think they would have bothered taking him out of Quebec for training camp missing several games while having a guy like Luke Adam not come up for it and be stuck in Rochester.At the very least R & R think Grigs is ahead of Luke Adam on the depth chart, and considering Adam centered our top line at the beginning of last season that could be a sign.

We got 10 days until the season opener, we shall see if he makes the team or not.With the amount of teenagers stepping right into the NHL more and more I think it isn't unreasonable predicting that Grigs can step in right away and produce.He is considered an elite prospect and most elite prospects step right in and play and produce.

The last 2 Calder Winners in Landeskog and Skinner were players drafted that same year and stepped in as 18 year olds to win the Calder.Myers won it the year before them, and he was a 19 year old just one year removed from his draft year.Since Lindy Ruff has been our head coach (97-12), there have been only 2 non goalie Calder winners who needed more then 1 year after their draft year to win the Calder.Aside from Steve Mason, all the Calder winners since the last lockout have been teenagers drafted that same year or just one year removed from their draft. There are just too many 18 and 19 year olds stepping in and playing major roles to just already be predetermined in thinking Grigs isn't ready and needs to be sent back before he even has one day at training camp.He is every bit the top prospect that Landeskog,Skinner,Myers etc were when they won the Calder.

We will see, I'm hoping he plays right away, it's not like we are a playoff team anyway that has any better options :dunno:

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

Vanek-Roy-Pominville was the only line together more at 6.75% of all EV shifts.

EV Frequency:
VILLE LEINO DEREK ROY JASON POMINVILLE 5.32%
VILLE LEINO DEREK ROY DREW STAFFORD 3.67%
VILLE LEINO DREW STAFFORD BRAD BOYES 2.33%
VILLE LEINO NATHAN GERBE PATRICK KALETA 1.97%
VILLE LEINO TYLER ENNIS DREW STAFFORD 1.26%
VILLE LEINO TYLER ENNIS BRAD BOYES 1.17%
VILLE LEINO LUKE ADAM ZACK KASSIAN 1.08%
PP Frequency:
VILLE LEINO LUKE ADAM DREW STAFFORD N/A 4.4%
VILLE LEINO DEREK ROY DREW STAFFORD N/A 2.5%
ZACK KASSIAN DEREK ROY LUKE ADAM VILLE LEINO 2%