Opening Night roster 2013-14

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Devin Setoguchi ($2.850m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Tomas Jurco ($0.709m) / Riley Sheahan ($2.100m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Luke Glendening ($0.628m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Drew Miller ($1.350m)
Mitchell Callahan ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Danny DeKeyser ($3.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m) / Alexei Marchenko ($0.667m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Ray Emery ($1.650m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
BURIED
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,376,212; BONUSES: $340,833
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,123,788

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What do we give up?

well i would assume tatar plus kindl plus something else(but i dont believe that something else is a big piece like a jurco or mantha but rather something smaller like frk or callahan or nasty)

i can see the pens moving him to free up roster space and will be looking for one good young piece and then just depth stuff(because of cap space)

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Just sign Niskanen. Letang will be too expensive and he is very injury prone, a problem that I feel can only get worse in Detroit. We are the mecca of injury proneness. Ship Kindl off for literally anything, like a conditional 7th.

Mantha/Pulkkinen-Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening
Miller/Callahan

The winger spot beside Dats/Z can be a callup between Mantha and Pulu, or we can sign someone to play there. Maybe Moulson or Gaborik.

Kronwall-Smith
DeKeyser-Niskanen
Ericsson-Backman
Sproul/Marchenko

Howard
Mrazek

This roster can contend for the cup imo

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not necessarily entirely what I want, but how Stastny might fit.

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Paul Stastny ($7.750m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.250m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Tomas Jurco ($0.709m)
Luke Glendening ($0.628m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Fedor Malykin ($0.975m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Danny DeKeyser ($2.350m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.500m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m) / Nick Jensen ($0.765m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($1.750m)
BUYOUTS
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,569,545; BONUSES: $350,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,530,455

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I could see this happening as well and it pisses me off. Let Jurco and Mantha (if he is ready) rot in the minors while we make sure to make spots for bottom six plugs that could be replaced at any time(miller, abby, glendening).

I have nothing against them but replace abby and miller with Mantha and Jurco and on paper the team has a much better chance at a cup.

Not to mention that this B.S. cost us Jarnkrok. Its pretty bad when someone who is considered among your highest rated prospects looks around at what is happening and would rather give it all up and go back home. Who can blame him after monitoring how Nyquist and Tatar were handled and people like cleary getting resigned. He was thinking he won't see playing time for another 3-4 years for no other reason then that is the way it is. These are the hidden costs of signing all these stop gap plug veterans. If it wasn't for injuries the prospects would have sat yet another season. When you were signing veterans to an already stacked team this system worked and there really was no room for young players. Now that this team has more holes than swiss cheese there is no reason not to bring younger players in to start developing under nhl minutes.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Cleary played over 50 games last season. He stopped because he injured his knee. Again.

There's little doubt in my mind if 19208309182309 veterans hadn't gotten injured all the kids would have seen far less playing time and we wouldn't have a clue as to the gem we have in Sheahan and the potential we have in Jurco.

The long term perspective tells you to screw signing multiple over the hill veterans to multi-year deals at the expense of your kids. Nyquist was clearly ready two years ago and even MORE clearly ready last year. He still didn't start the season with us. Tatar could easily have played a full season on the third line two years ago, again, he didn't.

This is the result of having too many veterans on the team. And unlike veterans such as Zetterberg or Datsyuk or Kronwall, some of them do not pull their damn weight and yet they were given preference by the organization. Isn't that far more shortsighted? You're going with a safe pick in a completely known quantity rather than taking the risk of a prospect you've been closely tracking but hasn't been tested in the NHL. But those vets are on their last legs and aren't the future of the team. That seems pretty short sighted. Look at all the veterans that aren't going to be on the team next year and tell me that wasn't a short-sighted stop gap measure.
Good points, i feel the same way, and have for a while.

NyquistIsMyGod*

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($1.750m)
BUYOUTS
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------

You'd give Paul Stastny 7.75M over 5-7 years?

- Paul Stastny is 28 years old
- Paul Stastny has 0 PPG seasons in the NHL
- Paul Stastny has played 9 NHL seasons
- Paul Stastny has 3 70 point seasons
- Paul Stastny has not hit 65 points 5 seasons
- Paul Stastny just played for an absolute offensive team
- ^^ Paul Stastny was 5th on the team in scoring (second highest PPG)
- 5 players on the Avalanche this season had 60+ points

I'm getting Datsyuk, who just re-signed for 7.5M per year has a Nicklas Lidstrom promise, meaning he's the highest paid forward.

Centers. Datsyuk (7.5M), Stastny (7.75M), Weiss (4.9M), Helm (2.7M)..

Seems to be much for me.,

Now we move towards Matt Niskanen. I think it's an awful idea again. I don't see anmy reason why he should get above 5.5M.

- Matt Niskanen has 1 40+ point season
- Matt Niskanen has hit 30 points twice
- Matt Niskanen has played 7 NHL seasons
- Matt Niskanen is 27 years old
- Matt Niskanen's career year is 46 points
- Matt Niskanen's numbers are on a team where he become the #1 offensive defenseman, on a team that's all offense for the most part. PPG wise for defenseman, he was second on his own team.

I just don't get either move too much. Spending 14M+ per season on Paul Stastny and Matt Niskanen is way too much. Way too much. I get the reason to get them. I get building depth in the middle and the need for an offensive defenseman, but free agency probably isn't the key. You're looking at the two biggest players at their position. You look at what free agency does for average players. These guys are goiong to get paid, and by that, way too much.

Sign Marek Zidlicky/Dan Boyle.
Kick some tires on Matt Moulson. Possibly Radim Vrbata. Buy low on Devin Setoguchi.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($1.750m)
BUYOUTS
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------

Sheahan on the first line?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You'd give Paul Stastny 7.75M over 5-7 years?

- Paul Stastny is 28 years old
- Paul Stastny has 0 PPG seasons in the NHL
- Paul Stastny has played 9 NHL seasons
- Paul Stastny has 3 70 point seasons
- Paul Stastny has not hit 65 points 5 seasons
- Paul Stastny just played for an absolute offensive team
- ^^ Paul Stastny was 5th on the team in scoring (second highest PPG)
- 5 players on the Avalanche this season had 60+ points

I'm getting Datsyuk, who just re-signed for 7.5M per year has a Nicklas Lidstrom promise, meaning he's the highest paid forward.

Centers. Datsyuk (7.5M), Stastny (7.75M), Weiss (4.9M), Helm (2.7M)..

Seems to be much for me.,

Now we move towards Matt Niskanen. I think it's an awful idea again. I don't see anmy reason why he should get above 5.5M.

- Matt Niskanen has 1 40+ point season
- Matt Niskanen has hit 30 points twice
- Matt Niskanen has played 7 NHL seasons
- Matt Niskanen is 27 years old
- Matt Niskanen's career year is 46 points
- Matt Niskanen's numbers are on a team where he become the #1 offensive defenseman, on a team that's all offense for the most part. PPG wise for defenseman, he was second on his own team.

I just don't get either move too much. Spending 14M+ per season on Paul Stastny and Matt Niskanen is way too much. Way too much. I get the reason to get them. I get building depth in the middle and the need for an offensive defenseman, but free agency probably isn't the key. You're looking at the two biggest players at their position. You look at what free agency does for average players. These guys are goiong to get paid, and by that, way too much.

Sign Marek Zidlicky/Dan Boyle.
Kick some tires on Matt Moulson. Possibly Radim Vrbata. Buy low on Devin Setoguchi.

Someone else said $7.5m for Stastny in another thread so I went above that just to be safe with the cap hit. same with Niskanen, who I haven't been high on, and I think the others considering Holland's recent history of getting good RFA deals.

When next season begins, Datsyuk will be 36. Zetterberg will be 34. Weiss will be 31 and coming off his second injury ruined season in a row. Helm's missed a ton of time the past few seasons because of back problems. And we don't have a lot of sure fire prospects at the position coming up through GR. A couple of guys who might hit or miss, but no one we can look at and say, "Yeah, he'll step in."

Stastny fills a hole in our development, and allows us to ease back on Z&D in the regular season, and you're really paying him to step in and probably be our #1 center in a a couple of years. He could even legitimately pull down more minutes per game next season. He has hit a PPG in one season, and being in the .8-.9 area isn't exactly poor production. He's routinely held down 18+ minutes and played in all situations.

I don't see paying someone more than Datsyuk being a factor, though. I don't think it matters.

I'd defend Niskanen more, but I used him largely because he'd probably be the most sought after D. I'd be fine with Zidlicky, Markov, or Boyle.

Sheahan on the first line?

He provides size for the line, he moves well, and he's really good with the puck down low. I wanted Jurco in the lineup, Abdelkader on the fourth line, and Weiss at center. Jurco would have just as many question marks, but he'd provide similar size. Tatar and Nyquist would make the line too small. Franzen is really the only other option, but I like his goal scoring on the second line with Nyquist. So Sheahan gets bumped up for me.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
He provides size for the line, he moves well, and he's really good with the puck down low. I wanted Jurco in the lineup, Abdelkader on the fourth line, and Weiss at center. Jurco would have just as many question marks, but he'd provide similar size. Tatar and Nyquist would make the line too small. Franzen is really the only other option, but I like his goal scoring on the second line with Nyquist. So Sheahan gets bumped up for me.

Sounds legit. Won't say it doesn't work, just wanted to chase that idea up, in order to understand what your thoughts were exactly.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Zetterberg - Datsuyk - Vanek or Gaborik
Nyqvist - Weiss or Legwand - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Komarov - Helm - Abdelkalder

If we cant get Komarov...I would like Roussel from Dallas...:D

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Zetterberg - Datsuyk - Vanek or Gaborik
Nyqvist - Weiss or Legwand - Franzen
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Komarov - Helm - Abdelkalder

If we cant get Komarov...I would like Roussel from Dallas...:D

If you're looking for new, smallish agitators to the 4th line, why not just go with the dirt cheap guy we already have in Glendening?

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
I'll be shocked if we actually land Stastny, but he could be a good "transition" option between [Datsyuk + Zetterberg] and [whoever we draft next to be our #1 center].

NyquistIsMyGod*

Stastny wouldn't be a "bad" fit, but 7.5M over 6 years is way too much for me. Way too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad