Opening Night roster 2013-14

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I couldn't have said it better myself. We need a few gritty players that can pop in 15 goals to sprinkle in. We don't need to become a huge team because Montreal isn't a huge team but that got some people on that team that are gritty and also can score.

Just be patient. Jurco will be that guy who'll have both attributes. Also Mantha could be that kind of nasty guy. And Nasty Nastasiuk, Callahan, TyBertuzzi, Glendening.

The growth for that gritty direction comes from inside. We can't buy it from outside. They have to start hating losing and then it comes out naturally.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
How would you all feel about this?

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Mantha
Nyquist- Weiss- Franzen
Jurco- Sheahan- Tatar
Callahan- Helm- Glendening
Abdelkader- Miller

Kronwall- Smith
DeKeyser- Sproul
Backman- Ericsson
Almquist

Howard
Mrazek

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

Nyquist- Weiss- Franzen
Jurco- Sheahan- Tatar
Abdelkader- Miller

Kronwall- Smith
DeKeyser- Sproul
Backman- Ericsson
Almquist

Howard
Mrazek

I like it. One of the best rosters I can realistically see on opening night.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Nyquist- Weiss- Franzen
Jurco- Sheahan- Tatar
Abdelkader- Miller

Kronwall- Smith
DeKeyser- Sproul
Backman- Ericsson
Almquist

Howard
Mrazek

Callahan ahead of Abdelkader? Like that would ever happen.

PureDust

Oct 28, 2013
SoCal
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Mantha-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening
Miller-Callahan

Kronwall-Smith
Boyle-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Sproul
Almquist

I personally really like this possible lineup. The D could always be better but of the FA scenarios I like this and find ways to boot Weiss/Kindl/Lashoff out the lineup

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Mantha-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abdelkader-Helm-Glendening
Miller-Callahan

Kronwall-Smith
Boyle-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Sproul
Almquist

I personally really like this possible lineup. The D could always be better but of the FA scenarios I like this and find ways to boot Weiss/Kindl/Lashoff out the lineup

That'd be a damn interesting lineup. The way i'd work the lines:

1) Z line: Let them be our #1 line many nights; Nyquist is young and Z has a new back
2) The Kid Line: Feed them minutes; they're young and energetic. Give them top line minutes when you can
3) Give Mantha a taste of the bigs with 3rd line type offensive minutes alongside two cagey veterans, which keeps them fresh in the long run
4) Let these boys play big minutes by playing against opposing top lines at home and eat up the majority of PK time, making life easier for 13 and 40.

- Datsyuk can still be an elite defensive forward IMO, but maybe now is the time to ease his load and let him play a bigger offensive role in limited minutes. He's having trouble staying healthy in recent years, so maybe you gladly swap losing his ability in some defensive situations to have him healthier and fresher in the long run.

skinneh

#FireHolland
Jul 17, 2009
Winnipeg

Nyquist- Weiss- Franzen
Jurco- Sheahan- Tatar
Abdelkader- Miller

Kronwall- Smith
DeKeyser- Sproul
Backman- Ericsson
Almquist

Howard
Mrazek

I love it. That is what I would want as well but there is no way I see Abs sitting. Put him in for Callahan or Glendening.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I love it. That is what I would want as well but there is no way I see Abs sitting. Put him in for Callahan or Glendening.

I don't see Glendening sitting, either, for that matter. I think Babcock will play him in one capacity or another.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
unfortunately I see this

nyquist/zetts/franzen
weiss/datsyuk/abby
tatar/sheahan/miller
callahan/helm/glendening

kronwall/ericsson
dekeyser/smith
kindl/marchenko
lashoff

howard/gus

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i'm not sure if that would make the playoffs.. euro twins would have to stay healthy.

I see holland trying for a trade but failing or whathaveyou and then finding free agency to be overpriced(which it likely will be)

jurco and mantha will be in grand rapids do to roster limits and waiver options and we will carry aprox ten million in cap space

skinneh

#FireHolland
Jul 17, 2009
Winnipeg
unfortunately I see this

nyquist/zetts/franzen
weiss/datsyuk/abby
tatar/sheahan/miller
callahan/helm/glendening

kronwall/ericsson
dekeyser/smith
kindl/marchenko
lashoff

howard/gus

I could see this happening as well and it pisses me off. Let Jurco and Mantha (if he is ready) rot in the minors while we make sure to make spots for bottom six plugs that could be replaced at any time(miller, abby, glendening).

I have nothing against them but replace abby and miller with Mantha and Jurco and on paper the team has a much better chance at a cup.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I could see this happening as well and it pisses me off. Let Jurco and Mantha (if he is ready) rot in the minors while we make sure to make spots for bottom six plugs that could be replaced at any time(miller, abby, glendening).

I have nothing against them but replace abby and miller with Mantha and Jurco and on paper the team has a much better chance at a cup.

Rot in the minors. Yeah, just like Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan. We really screwed up their development.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I see holland trying for a trade but failing or whathaveyou and then finding free agency to be overpriced(which it likely will be)

jurco and mantha will be in grand rapids do to roster limits and waiver options and we will carry aprox ten million in cap space

It would be such a waste to send Mantha to GR, I have no doubt he would roll there but he is ready for prime time, the kid is outright dominating the CHL and I think the sooner he gets to the big league the sooner he will aclimatize and begin dominating there.

PureDust

Oct 28, 2013
SoCal
That'd be a damn interesting lineup. The way i'd work the lines:

1) Z line: Let them be our #1 line many nights; Nyquist is young and Z has a new back
2) The Kid Line: Feed them minutes; they're young and energetic. Give them top line minutes when you can
3) Give Mantha a taste of the bigs with 3rd line type offensive minutes alongside two cagey veterans, which keeps them fresh in the long run
4) Let these boys play big minutes by playing against opposing top lines at home and eat up the majority of PK time, making life easier for 13 and 40.

- Datsyuk can still be an elite defensive forward IMO, but maybe now is the time to ease his load and let him play a bigger offensive role in limited minutes. He's having trouble staying healthy in recent years, so maybe you gladly swap losing his ability in some defensive situations to have him healthier and fresher in the long run.

That would be the perfect way to use this lineup. If they played the Datsyuk line 3rd line min and get them matched up against other 3rd lines that could be some scary offensive out put

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It would be such a waste to send Mantha to GR, I have no doubt he would roll there but he is ready for prime time, the kid is outright dominating the CHL and I think the sooner he gets to the big league the sooner he will aclimatize and begin dominating there.

Have you watched him play much? I predict his transition to professional hockey will not go as smoothly as most are projecting.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If you only have a short term perspective, then sure.

Yeah, because keeping Danny Cleary, Todd Bertuzzi, and Sammy over your prospects was necessary because they would have looked awful out there and needed the extra year in the AHL. Thats a short term and long term mistake. Playing garbage over your more talented prospects.

Brendan Smith really benefited from playing that extra year in the AHL. :sarcasm:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
This is something I can maybe see.

Mantha - Datsyuk - Moulson
Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Tatar - Sheahan - Weiss
Miller - Helm - Abdelkader
Glendening

Kronwall - Smith
Dekeyser - Ericsson
Boyle/Zidlicky - Backman/Ouellet

Howard/?

I'm not sure about the cap, but this isn't unreasonable. I'm hoping Alfie retires and Moulson (I like his game and is not too expensive) takes his spot. I might get yelled at for not slotting Jurco in, but he can benifit from another year in GR and can be a first call-up.

Thoughts?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, because keeping Danny Cleary, Todd Bertuzzi, and Sammy over your prospects was necessary because they would have looked awful out there and needed the extra year in the AHL. Thats a short term and long term mistake. Playing garbage over your more talented prospects.

Brendan Smith really benefited from playing that extra year in the AHL. :sarcasm:

Only Nyquist for the first 22 games last season was a clear bad decision last year in terms of roster. Everybody knew that.

How can you possibly complain about how Nyquist and Tatar and Sheahan and now Jurco have been groomed along? Give those guys to Edmonton from their draft day and do you really believe that they're all the players that they are today? MOD

Playing garbage isn't the end of the world when in the long term in benefits your talented prospects which in turn benefits your organization. That's called long term perspective. That's a main teaching point in business school. It's pretty much common sense in terms of a smart organizational decision when you have the opportunity. Some people only have a short term perspective, however. These people are lost.

And how are you negatively judging Smith when he's coming off playing the best hockey of his career and looks like he finally made the next step? Many defencemen don't take that next step until their older.

Last edited by a moderator:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Only Nyquist for the first 22 games last season was a clear bad decision last year in terms of roster. Everybody knew that.

How can you possibly complain about how Nyquist and Tatar and Sheahan and now Jurco have been groomed along? Give those guys to Edmonton from their draft day and do you really believe that they're all the players that they are today? MOD

Playing garbage isn't the end of the world when in the long term in benefits your talented prospects which in turn benefits your organization. That's called long term perspective. That's a main teaching point in business school. It's pretty much common sense in terms of a smart organizational decision when you have the opportunity. Some people only have a short term perspective, however. These people are lost.

And how are you negatively judging Smith when he's coming off playing the best hockey of his career and looks like he finally made the next step? Many defencemen don't take that next step until their older.

Smith looked like dog**** his first full year up. That extra year of rotting in the AHL was a waste of time. He was only going to improve by playing in the NHL. Unfortunately Ken Holland is an idiot.

I can easily complain about how Nyquist and Tatar's development have been mishandled. Would you like me to try?

Sheahan and Jurco don't even smell the NHL if the old and washed up garbage players don't get hurt or play slightly better than a corpse on the ice.

Nobody is asking for the draft picks to play the second they are drafted. That is what you fail to grasp.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Cleary played over 50 games last season. He stopped because he injured his knee. Again.

There's little doubt in my mind if 19208309182309 veterans hadn't gotten injured all the kids would have seen far less playing time and we wouldn't have a clue as to the gem we have in Sheahan and the potential we have in Jurco.

The long term perspective tells you to screw signing multiple over the hill veterans to multi-year deals at the expense of your kids. Nyquist was clearly ready two years ago and even MORE clearly ready last year. He still didn't start the season with us. Tatar could easily have played a full season on the third line two years ago, again, he didn't.

This is the result of having too many veterans on the team. And unlike veterans such as Zetterberg or Datsyuk or Kronwall, some of them do not pull their damn weight and yet they were given preference by the organization. Isn't that far more shortsighted? You're going with a safe pick in a completely known quantity rather than taking the risk of a prospect you've been closely tracking but hasn't been tested in the NHL. But those vets are on their last legs and aren't the future of the team. That seems pretty short sighted. Look at all the veterans that aren't going to be on the team next year and tell me that wasn't a short-sighted stop gap measure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad