Pre-Game Talk: Opening Night Oilers v Canucks Wed WITH FANS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I mean true, you don’t know for sure till you try them, but based on how all 3 play, it’s easy see and predict that the amount of offence they will generate will be at a third line level

I think they might surprise. I like the combo on paper myself. Let’s see what they do!

0BEBE35B-7770-462D-965D-9D4E3686816A.gif

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I put zero stock into anything that happened in the preseason. Turris and Shore are still black holes.
Maybe but with how they played you have to give it a go in the real season. Pre season doesn’t mean much but it doesn’t mean nothing. Crazy would be not playing them together after they lit it up the way they did.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
A line doesn't need a triggerman to be successful. And I don't think RNH has ever centred a player like Hyman, though I could be wrong.

Closest he would've had is Taylor Hall, and for the most part produced well with that type of player on his wing.

Hyman may not be quite the player Hall was here, but he's very much has the north south game in his repertoire. So there's definitely potential for decent chemistry between the 2.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's proven that he can produce as a centre in the NHL. I agree that he shouldn't be relied on to drive his own line, which is why I specifically mentioned Hyman's elite ability to grind for the puck and drive the net.

Hyman doesn't need to be a trigger man. And I don't think RNH needs a hired gun to produce points. Also, RNH himself has a deadly wrister and snap shot. If he can get the puck to the net, Hyman can clean it up. Time will tell.

Who is going to get RNH the puck in a position to get off his snap shot? His snap shot is mostly effective on the PP because he has time and space and elite playmakers to play off of. Playing him with two skilled grinders negates his shot and furthermore, neither Hyman or Yamamoto are high shot generators so that negates RNH's playmaking too.

I think it'll be a heavy possession line that generates a lot of offensive zone time but you can see already that they won't generate many high danger chances which, as I said before, is great for the 3rd line if they can wear down the opposition but not for a 2nd line that needs to be more than just a line that kills time until McDrai come back on the ice. I love Hyman as a high end complimentary winger but a line driver he is not and when RNH is relied upon as a line driver, we've seen how that works out time and time, and time again.

Puljujarvi on that line would make much more sense because he's developing confidence with the puck and can supplement RNH with distributing and puckhandling, plus he has the shot that Hyman and Yamamoto don't have.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
No he won't. Why risk for Hyman to drive a line (since RNH can't) instead of putting an actual driver on his C like McDavid or Draisaitl.

Depending on the match ups from the other team, you can slide Draisaitl and Hyman up n down between the 2 lines as needed.

The opposition not knowing what combination coming off the bench can throw off their ability to match lines.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
When Zach Hyman had success in the nhl being the best player on his line?

I don't think that's relevant. My saying that he can drive RNH's line is not the same as saying he'll be the best player on the line. But I do think people underestimate Hyman.

Maybe it doesn't work out. We'll see. But I honestly think people are conflating the Oilers' not having secondary scoring last year with the Oilers playing Draisaitl and McDavid together. I think Hyman and RNH and whomever can make a legitimate second scoring line. So I'm not as concerned about a McDrai line here and there.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I'm giving Tippett a break on those lines for now. He sees our opening schedule and if they can get a good start then it'll be huge.

Reactions: yukoner88

PumpkinBomb

Jul 22, 2020
Based on the practice lines they indeed intend to load up the top line with McD/Drai/Pulju... horrible idea in my opinion, what made Tippett do this?

ok so the intent isn’t to play them the whole season together.

Tippet will never say it publicly but McDavid and Drai will be paired together against teams that have no depth. So Van and Calgary and a few others. McDavid and Drai are pretty much guaranteed 3 points each and as long as the goaltending is even average it’s an easy two points.
Against teams that can actually defend they will spread the wealth around

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What about it do you like on paper?

All 3 are good as forecheckers esp the 2 wingers as F1s and when RNH does play C he generally plays a great F2 cutting off the outlet or backing up the D on a pinch. If that works well it wears down the D over a game and builds sustained ozone pressure the following line can take advantage of. They may not score at a top end 2nd line pace but their effectiveness may mean a lower GA with more o zone time and creating offence for follow on lines - like McDrai.

And if it turns out not to be effective we can switch around anytime.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All 3 are good as forecheckers esp the 2 wingers as F1s and when RNH does play C he generally plays a great F2 cutting off the outlet or backing up the D on a pinch. If that works well it wears down the D over a game and builds sustained ozone pressure the following line can take advantage of. They may not score at a top end 2nd line pace but their effectiveness may mean a lower GA with more o zone time and creating offence for follow on lines - like McDrai.

And if it turns out not to be effective we can switch around anytime.
So pretty much a repeat of our 3rd line. Which isn’t bad, but again it solely relies on our top line for all the offense

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just out of curiosity:

Past 3 seasons... individual pts/60 at 5 on 5 for all Oilers:

1 McDavid 3.04
2 Draisaitl 2.69
3 Hyman 1.97
4 Ryan 1.81
5 RNH 1.75
6 Yamamoto 1.72
7 Kassian 1.62
8 Foegele 1.54
9 Sceviour 1.36
10 Turris 1.32
11 Shore 1.30
12 Puljujarvi 1.23
13 Perlini 1.10
14 Benson 0.88
15 McLeod 0.56

*Archibald 1.14

1 Barrie 1.30
2 Nurse 1.12
3 Bouchard 0.92
4 Keith 0.88
5 Ceci 0.87
6 Koekkoek 0.80
7 Russell 0.70
8 Lagesson 0.37

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
So pretty much a repeat of our 3rd line. Which isn’t bad, but again it solely relies on our top line for all the offense

Having Foegele, Ryan, and Perlini among the bottom 6 really improves the abilities of the lower half of the line up compared to the prior 2 seasons. We aren't nearly as top heavy as before, so loading up the top line at times is much less of a worry as it was before...in my opinion anyway

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The ability to repeatedly hem a team in the ozone cannot be understated and when the forechecking line has the goalscoring capabilities as this line should have it makes for a force multiplier.

We’ve not had 3 lines that can forecheck with goal scoring capabilities like what we’ve had now since probably 06. Add the rush line of McDrai w PJ, the puck being in the ozone end for longer stretches of time which also brings the GA down and these lines could be very effective esp against teams that aren’t very deep.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The ability to repeatedly hem a team in the ozone cannot be understated and when the forechecking line has the goalscoring capabilities as this line should have it makes for a force multiplier.

We’ve not had 3 lines that can forecheck with goal scoring capabilities like what we’ve had now since probably 06. Add the rush line of McDrai w PJ and the puck being in the ozone end for longer stretches of time it brings the GA down and it could be very effective esp against teams that aren’t very deep.
In theory yes. The issue this team has always had is we will have stretches where we hem them in, can’t score and then a rush chances against goes in. So having only 1 line with strong goal scorers and most of our defense struggles with rush chances makes it quite difficult. Maybe Yamamoto or Hyman will become a good shooters but who knows

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
In theory yes. The issue this team has always had is we will have stretches where we hem them in, can’t score and then a rush chances against goes in. So having only 1 line with strong goal scorers and most of our defense struggles with rush chances makes it quite difficult. Maybe Yamamoto or Hyman will become a good shooters but who knows

I think our 3-4 lines will contribute far more than what we’ve had recently. If Hyman and Yamo can get things going on line 2 we’ve really got a great combo. Willing to see what happens and yes it might not work.

I think McDrai get separated for stronger teams however.

Reactions: brentashton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad