Pre-Game Talk: Opening Night Oilers v Canucks Wed WITH FANS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
What's going to be the split between Koskinen and Smith? I'm wondering if Koskinen is worth keeping on the bench in fantasy.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If RNH and Hyman make a legitimate 2nd scoring line, then why not exersise the option to play the most dominant offensive unit in hockey?

I've said before that I'd rather not see Draisaitl and McDavid together all the time (and I don't think that will be the case), but I also don't mind seeing RNH and Hyman together if their line is a bona fide offensive threat.

Regardless of whether Draisaitl plays with McDavid, I think Holland has given the Oilers offensive waves, which, in my opinion, was the Oilers' biggest issue in the playoffs. (I was texting Stauffer before that series started saying that the Jets' game plan would be to shut down McDavid and Draisaitl and take their chances with the rest of the team, which is exactly what they did.)

If Hyman and RNH don't click, then sticking Draisaitl with McDavid may become a problem. But if they do, then Draisaitl and McDavid are just too dominant to not play together sometimes. (Also remember, Zetterberg and Datsyuk played a lot together on the same line.)

TLDR: Let's see how Hyman and RNH play together before complaining about McDrai.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not trying Hyman with Draisaitl in the pre-season is also another baffling decision from Coach Knows-Best.

Draisaitl is the closest player we have stylistically to Matthews, except he's a far better playmaker on top of being a top end scorer, so even if Hyman + McDavid wasn't gang busters in the pre-season, why not at least try Drai + Hyman?

What's the f***ing point of playing McDavid and Draisaitl together in pre-season games?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What's going to be the split between Koskinen and Smith? I'm wondering if Koskinen is worth keeping on the bench in fantasy.
Tippett said he doesn’t want either guy sitting long. I think it will be pretty close to 50/50.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Why are we signing sceviour over playing McLeod or Benson? I missed a few pre season games but from what I remember he didn’t do much at all

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If RNH and Hyman make a legitimate 2nd scoring line, then why not exersise the option to play the most dominant offensive unit in hockey?

I've said before that I'd rather not see Draisaitl and McDavid together all the time (and I don't think that will be the case), but I also don't mind seeing RNH and Hyman together if their line is a bona fide offensive threat.

Regardless of whether Draisaitl plays with McDavid, I think Holland has given the Oilers offensive waves, which, in my opinion, was the Oilers' biggest issue in the playoffs. (I was texting Stauffer before that series started saying that the Jets' game plan would be to shut down McDavid and Draisaitl and take their chances with the rest of the team, which is exactly what they did.)

If Hyman and RNH don't click, then sticking Draisaitl with McDavid may become a problem. But if they do, then Draisaitl and McDavid are just too dominant to not play together sometimes. (Also remember, Zetterberg and Datsyuk played a lot together on the same line.)

TLDR: Let's see how Hyman and RNH play together before complaining about McDrai.
Cause RNH and Hyman won’t be a legit scoring line as RNH is not a legit NHL center. I mean sure, miracles could happen

Reactions: McAsuno

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I mean we've seen the "Can RNH drive his own line?" movie like 50 times already, but sure, lets go watch the same movie for the 51st time.

The whole *point* of Hyman was that he plays well with really high end talents like Matthews and Marner, and now we're not even using him in that role either. Genius Tippett, genius.

Hyman RNH and Honey Badger could be a trio. Won’t know till you test drive them.

Doesn’t hurt. My opinion. Your entitled to yours and I totally understand your opinion.

(See @CycloneSweep I am not hating on anyone :))

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hyman RNH and Honey Badger could be a trio. Won’t know till you test drive them.

Doesn’t hurt. My opinion. Your entitled to yours and I totally understand your opinion.

(See @CycloneSweep I am not hating on anyone :))
I mean true, you don’t know for sure till you try them, but based on how all 3 play, it’s easy see and predict that the amount of offence they will generate will be at a third line level

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Why are we signing sceviour over playing McLeod or Benson? I missed a few pre season games but from what I remember he didn’t do much at all

Sceviour had an impact the last two games against the Nucks. Strong PKing and set up a goal.

It wasn't much but it was still more than McLeod and Benson.

Reactions: bone

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tippett can ride McDavid-Draisaitl-Smith enough to put up a reasonably successful and entertaining regular season, but I think he has been badly exposed in the playoffs the last two seasons and I don't think he's learned a damn thing.

Which likely means his tenure here is not going to last much longer. He got the team to take some positive steps, but I don't think he knows how to get the team to take *the* next big step.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Cause RNH and Hyman won’t be a legit scoring line as RNH is not a legit NHL center. I mean sure, miracles could happen

If you don't think RNH is a centre then that's sort of the end of the discussion. I do think he's a centre, and I would like to see him play with one of the better puck-hounds, net drivers in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If you don't think RNH is a centre then that's sort of the end of the discussion. I do think he's a centre, and I would like to see him play with one of the better puck-hounds, net drivers in the NHL.
He is weak on the puck and up the middle, not good at face offs either. Sure give him 2 puck hounds but none of those guys have a good shot. So unless they plan to pass it into the net. Wait. That’s it! Nuge is a puck distributer. Having not a single winger that likes to shoot doesn’t work.

If they wanted a chance in hell for the line to work, swap Puljujarvi and Yamamoto

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
He is weak on the puck and up the middle, not good at face offs either. Sure give him 2 puck hounds but none of those guys have a good shot. So unless they plan to pass it into the net. Wait. That’s it!

He's proven that he can produce as a centre in the NHL. I agree that he shouldn't be relied on to drive his own line, which is why I specifically mentioned Hyman's elite ability to grind for the puck and drive the net.

Hyman doesn't need to be a trigger man. And I don't think RNH needs a hired gun to produce points. Also, RNH himself has a deadly wrister and snap shot. If he can get the puck to the net, Hyman can clean it up. Time will tell.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I’m thinking Tippett will split McDavid and Draisaitl up for game 1. He started the lines that way in preseason after all.

I’m pretty sure the lines were like this in practice today because RNH was sick and Tippett would rather get McLeod/Shore more time practicing as centers than as wingers.

Let’s wait till they announce the line combos for Wednesday before we start freaking out.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's proven that he can produce as a centre in the NHL. I agree that he shouldn't be relied on to drive his own line, which is why I specifically mentioned Hyman's elite ability to grind for the puck and drive the net.

Hyman doesn't need to be a trigger man. And I don't think RNH needs a hired gun to produce points. Also, RNH himself has a deadly wrister and snap shot. If he can get the puck to the net, Hyman can clean it up. Time will tell.
Nuge is very inaccurate with his shot. Having Nuge be the puck distributer and shooter on his line is a way to fail. Nuge has done best when he has a guy who can at least shoot on his line. And that’s not Hyman or Yamamoto

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

The only time Nugent-Hopkins is successful on a top 6 line is when he’s playing with someone better than him. Be it Hall, Draisaitl, McDavid. Every time Nuge has been asked to carry a line he has failed. Let’s keep trying it though.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Nuge is very inaccurate with his shot. Having Nuge be the puck distributer and shooter on his line is a way to fail. Nuge has done best when he has a guy who can at least shoot on his line. And that’s not Hyman or Yamamoto

A line doesn't need a triggerman to be successful. And I don't think RNH has ever centred a player like Hyman, though I could be wrong.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The only time Nugent-Hopkins is successful on a top 6 line is when he’s playing with someone better than him. Be it Hall, Draisaitl, McDavid. Every time Nuge has been asked to carry a line he has failed. Let’s keep trying it though.

I've implied it but I will state it clearly: Hyman will drive that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad