Pre-Game Talk: Opening Night Oilers v Canucks Wed WITH FANS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
trading a decent player for a player with higher potential that fits a need is not throwing a player away. this is Bear Foegele all over. Strome has a higher ceiling than yamamoto and has the size and skills to be an effective bottom line player if needed. Strome has "declined" as he was thrown into a 1/2 C role with toews gone he wasnt ready for. If Dach wasnt as good as he was it would have been even worse.

Strome has declined in his last 2 seasons. He's played almost 100 games more than Yamamoto. Yamo deserves to showcase what he can do first before trading him. Plus, we just signed him so he wont be getting moved until next season or the deadline

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
the only chance the canucks have is demko tbh, he has the ability to steal games. if the oilers get after him early and often they will win. 6-1
I disagree, Vancouver is a much better team than you give them credit for and the last 2 games proved it. They couldn’t score but they were arguably the better team or as good for both

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I disagree, Vancouver is a much better team than you give them credit for and the last 2 games proved it. They couldn’t score but they were arguably the better team or as good for both

I foresee an Oilers 2018-19 season. They'll have some hot streaks and some bad slumps and end up middle of the pack with a fired Benning mid-season. For Dynasties fans, hopefully Green can survive the purge but doubtful and hopefully he doesn't do some of the more damaging things Chia did on his way out the door (Kosko contract and Manning acquisition though the OEL contract could end up being his Kosko gift on the way out the door)

Reactions: Mr Positive

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
ah so you agree, Caleb Jones should have stayed.

I mean Caleb Jones the player will never live up to Caleb Jones the myth.

Not sure. I think we all knew Jones needed to take a step in 2020 to move the needle. However he didn’t.

Out of the two 24 year old defencemen that were traded, Jones was the one that most looked like surplus goods especially with guys like Samorukov and Broberg on the farm.

Caleb Jones is already doing Caleb Jones things......he's out for 6 weeks to start the season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I foresee an Oilers 2018-19 season. They'll have some hot streaks and some bad slumps and end up middle of the pack with a fired Benning mid-season. For Dynasties fans, hopefully Green can survive the purge but doubtful and hopefully he doesn't do some of the more damaging things Chia did on his way out the door (Kosko contract and Manning acquisition though the OEL contract could end up being his Kosko gift on the way out the door)
Eh. I think their defence is miles better than ours was that season and they may not have McDrai, but their top 9 is much deeper overall. I see Vancouver being anywhere between 2-4 in the division to be honest.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Strome has declined in his last 2 seasons. He's played almost 100 games more than Yamamoto. Yamo deserves to showcase what he can do first before trading him. Plus, we just signed him so he wont be getting moved until next season or the deadline
I already explained the drop in Stromes numbers, he is also only 1 year older than yamamoto and has more points in 1 season that yams has in his whole career. i think they will probably end up with similar numbers overall but strome is more versatile and his size will also make him more durable over his career.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I already explained the drop in Stromes numbers, he is also only 1 year older than yamamoto and has more points in 1 season that yams has in his whole career. i think they will probably end up with similar numbers overall but strome is more versatile and his size will also make him more durable over his career.
I agree on that but I don't want to give up on Yamamoto after 1 sophomore slump season.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
I have a flashback to last seasons first game...we thought it would be a sure win...and we got embarrassed by the nucks...hopefully not again today but wouldn't be surprised tbh.

Enough negativity... 5-2 win incoming!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If we have to have her at all, I'd rather it be for the five minute panel discussion in a group of 4 peers rather than 100 or so minutes of colour commentary with just the play-by-play commentator. #OilerPositives

Good I can mute the panel and not miss the PBP but then I realize I’m back to Singh and it’s NOOOOOOOOOO all over again.

Reactions: McTonyBrar and bone

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I have a flashback to last seasons first game...we thought it would be a sure win...and we got embarrassed by the nucks...hopefully not again today but wouldn't be surprised tbh.

Enough negativity... 5-2 win incoming!

Yeah that game was not fun to watch. From memory, the Oilers defense looked completely lost and blew coverage a handful of times. Hopefully Tipp has them ready to go tonight!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I agree on that but I don't want to give up on Yamamoto after 1 sophomore slump season.
i get that too, but with stromes potential we would have to give up something of value. I deally we could dump turris + 3rd but i dont think that works. Plus with chicagos make up with debrincat, caguilla, kane etc i doubt they want another sub 6' skill fwd. originally i was just thinking along the lines of the cap space needed.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

As of today, Yamamoto is a better all around player then Strome. The only way I’d take Strome on this team is if he’s a UFA and signs with us for league minimum.

The only thing he has going for him is draft pedigree and being close friends with Mcdavid.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Eh. I think their defence is miles better than ours was that season and they may not have McDrai, but their top 9 is much deeper overall. I see Vancouver being anywhere between 2-4 in the division to be honest.

We'll see. I can see it happening that way as well, but many thought the same thing about Edmonton going into that year.

Defense, I'm not sure Hughes, OEL, Myers, Poolman, Rathbone, Schenn, Hunt, Burroughs is so much better as to be considered miles better than Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, Sekera, Russell, Benning, Bouchard, Garrison situation that Edmonton started that year with.

Top 9 for this years Vancouver squad might be deeper, but the top 3 on that Oilers team was light years better. I'm not sure the advantage of gained of Pearson, Garland, Highmore, Dickinson, Hoglander and a three year older Chiasson over Kassian, Lucic, Puljujarvi, Strome, Caggiula and todays's Chiasson is enough to offset the gain of of McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH over Petterson, Horvat, and Miller.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
As of today, Yamamoto is a better all around player then Strome. The only way I’d take Strome on this team is if he’s a UFA and signs with us for league minimum.

The only thing he has going for him is draft pedigree and being close friends with Mcdavid.
Strome for Kassian maybe.. not Yamamoto.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
ARE YOU GUYS PUMPED?!?

I just went to TSN and Sportsnet, the Leafs and Canadians are playing tonight! Waaahoooo whooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad