Line Combos: Opening Night Lineup

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
With preseason winding down soon and the final cuts soon to be made, what do you think our opening lineup, extras and first call ups will be?

I am going to be optimistic and say that Mitchell (followed by McGinn about a week later) will be healthy to start the season.

Forwards

ROR - Dutchy - Tangs (I'd rather keep trying Iggy)
Landy - MacK - Iggy (See above)
Talbot - Mitchell - Briere (I'd like to see Winch instead of Talbot, maybe Mitchell on LW)
McLeod - Winch - Cliche

Everberg (Should play over Cliche but probably won't and will get sent down when McGinn returns)

Defense

Stuart - EJ
Holden - Barrie (Holden passes Hejda on depth chart and third pairing treads water)
Hejda - Guenin/Wilson (Spleck, but I can see this happening)

Wilson/Guenin - Redmond (Until Redmond practices more with the team and is more familiar with the systems)

Varly
Berra

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Guenin hasn't shown anything to deserve being on the opening night roster. Pretty sure the D has all but earned their spots.

Stuart - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Redmond

Guenin, Wilson

Last edited:

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Guenin hasn't shown anything to deserve being on the opening night roster. Pretty sure the D has all but earned their spots.

Stuart - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Redmond

Guenin, Wilson

Other than having played last year, which I am worried that Roy values this from his role/lower end guys to start out. Guenin has already played Roy's system so there wouldn't be any adjustment, even if he would play at a lesser quality than Redmond. I think that is part of why Wilson sticks around too.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Stuart - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Redmond

Guenin, Wilson

I'm thinking we take it slow with Redmond in the same way we did Holden, and Guenin's PK ability helps keep him in the lineup to start the year.

I would love to see Redmond in as the #6 instead of Guenin and Noreau get the 8th spot over Wilson, but I don't think it will happen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To start the season I think it will be:

ROR-Duchene-Tangs
Landy-MacK-Iginla
Talbot-Briere-Winchester
McLeod-Cliche-Everberg
Rendulic

Mitchell and McGinn still not totally healthy

Stuart-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Holden
Redmond
Guenin

Varly
Berra

As soon as McGinn and Mitchell get healthy, Rendulic goes down and one of Cliche/Guenin/Wilson joins him (likely Cliche as Roy likes 8D). Winchester and Everberg may swap lines if Cliche still has faceoff issues. Wilson will have his job taken away by Redmond within 4-5 games.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Horrendous defense. We're in for a long 82 games or another Varly miracle season.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
O'Reilly-Duchene-Tanguay
Lando-Mackinnon-Iginla
Rendulic-Winchester-Briere
McLeod-Cliche-Talbot
Everberg

(Everberg and Rendulic sent down when Malkin and McPing return)

Stuart-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Redmond
Guenin, Wilson

Varly
Berra

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's pretty close to what I think Hench, though I'd put Winchester at center. I agree Redmond will have that 6 spot eventually but Roy will ease him in. Holden will probably be second pair by the end of the season. Cliche will be the last extra standing, he'll never leave because surely someone else will be injured when Bordy returns.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I just don't see any way Rendulic plays over Everberg, especially in a bottom 6 role. I certainly hope Mitchell is back though. The 3rd like is much better with him at center, and pushes Winchester to the 4th line, where he's a better fit and will help that line with offensive zone time.

I still see Redmond in that 6th D spot and I think Holden will play more than Hejda, no matter what pairing he's on.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I still see Redmond in that 6th D spot and I think Holden will play more than Hejda, no matter what pairing he's on.

Holden will without a doubt simply because he gets time on every unit.

In the end... a Holden-Redmond pairing may get more ES minutes than Hejda-Barrie. If it ends up Holden-Barrie it won't even be close.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Wilson gets in ahead of Redmond, it won't be because of his camp/pre-season. It will be because Roy's throwing him a bone hoping he takes it and runs with the opportunity. He hasn't shown any improvement that I've seen or heard. Redmond's definitely been better in the games I've seen, and has received some praise from others that have watched him.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
If everyone is healthy opening night this is the lineup I would like to see

ROR-Duchene-Tangs
Landy-MacK-Iginla
Mcginn-Mitchell-Briere-
Talbot-Winchester-Mcleod
*Cliche

Stuart-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Redmond
*Wilson
*Guenin

Varly
Berra

* I would rather keep Everberg up over Cliche but if it is for the 13th forward I would rather have him go to the AHL and round out his game. I really like his potential as a bottom 6 player in the future. I feel that his game needs a little seasoning in the AHL

I am curious to see if they end up making a trade or sending a player like Cliche down when Bordy returns.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I would like the top 3 lines to all be like a 1st line just like the beginning of last year.

Duchene seems to have chemistry with supporting players like mcginn, parenteau over players other star players like mackinnon or stastny.

I think these forward combinations could be really cool:

Tanguay Mackinnon Iginla (similar to st Louis/stamkos combo)
Briere Duchene Hishon (one of the fastest lines with all talented offensively)
Landeskog Oreilly Mcginn ( Solid, defensive, physical)
Mcleod Mitchell Talbot

Hard for other teams to stop all three of those lines.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
landeskog-mackinnon-iginla
o'reilly-duchene-tanguay
everberg-hishon-briere
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot
cliché

stuart-johnson
hejda-barrie
holden-redmond
Wilson-guenin

varlamov
berra

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Lando-MacK-Iggy
ROR-Dutchy-Tangs
Talbs-Winchester-Briere
McLeod-Cliche-Everberg
Rendulic

Mitchell (day-to-day), McGinn (day-to-day), Bordy (IR)

Stu-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Holden
Redmond
Guenin

Varly
Berra

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
landeskog-mackinnon-iginla
o'reilly-duchene-tanguay
everberg-hishon-briere
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot
cliché

stuart-johnson
hejda-barrie
holden-redmond
Wilson-guenin

varlamov
berra

McGinn and Mitchell still hurt in this scenario?

BTW, I really hope Hishon can earn a spot on this roster. He oozes talent.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Assuming full health the only question is Wilson or Redmond and which of the top lines Tanguay and Iginla will play on.

O'Reilly Duchene Tanguay/Iginla
Landeskog MacKinnon Tanguay/Iginla
McGinn Mitchell Briere
McLeod Winchester Talbot
Cliche

Stuart EJ
Hejda Barrie
Holden Wilson/Redmond
Wilson/Redmond
Guenin

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
Niagara IceDog fan here...does ex-icedog captain agozzino have any chance of making the Avs year or being called up at some point?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Niagara IceDog fan here...does ex-icedog captain agozzino have any chance of making the Avs year or being called up at some point?

No, if everyone is remotely healthy there won't be a spot and I think some of the bigger guys are more suited for a bottom 6 role. That said, he's been consistently solid and depending what they need I would not be surprised if he received a callup at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad