Line Combos: Opening Night Lineup vs Chicago

aloonda*

My dream 2nd line would be Val-Spezza-Hemsky. I'm not to concerned who they put beside Benn and Seguin, that line will be good regardless.

that line could make cole look real good imo, then move him at the tdl

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
it's going to be a cluster**** at F if Raptor can play, which would be a great thing.

That being said if Peverley can play I wonder if his minutes would have to be limited which would force him into the fourth line because of it. I would almost think if he is cleared to play then there likely wouldn't be restrictions but I dunno. Is 10-12 minutes at the NHL level giving 100% less dangerous than 15-17 minutes at 100%?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
How long until Ritchie gets into this lineup?
First call up?

No real idea yet. It's going to depend on how healthy Eaves is, what happens with Cole (if anything), what happens with Glennie, how strong of a camp Ritchie has, and how well he's playing in the minors if he doesn't make the opening day roster.

My only guess is that he starts the year in Austin and finishes the year in Dallas, which isn't going to help anyone's fantasy hockey questions.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
No real idea yet. It's going to depend on how healthy Eaves is, what happens with Cole (if anything), what happens with Glennie, how strong of a camp Ritchie has, and how well he's playing in the minors if he doesn't make the opening day roster.

My only guess is that he starts the year in Austin and finishes the year in Dallas, which isn't going to help anyone's fantasy hockey questions.

I think it also depends on the injury. If they ultimately decided they felt he needed another AHL year, then they could treat him like Jack Campbell. By that, Jack was told he needed to prove he could play every third or fourth game or they wanted him playing as many games as possible in the AHL. With Ritchie, I'm sure there's a similar directive, you prove you can play 15 or 16 minutes a game in a Top 6 role with PP time consistently or we're going to want you playing major minutes in every situation in Austin.

We know he can play a Bottom 6 role, but I think it's unlikely we'd see him in that role this season. If a Top 6 winger goes down though ... or Cole sucks ... I could easily see him being the first call up.

Bottom 6 call ups are going to have a tough time though ... even Pevs isn't healthy. They've got Eaves and Glennie as potential extras already in the NHL if Pevs can't go. If he can ... either a vet like Horcoff or Cole or young guy like Sceviour could be the extra guy with Eaves.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also ... I wouldn't be surprised if Sceviour was the default Top 6 winger replacement ahead of Ritchie either ... especially on short term stuff.

yanko6

Benn there done that
Mar 16, 2013
Texas
Looking at what Nill is doing with the Goalie position, I think he's decided that if you are going to be on this roster come opening day you had to earn it. I really think he wants there to be a competition for every roster spot moving forward.

Except for Gonchar and Cole of course.

yanko6

Benn there done that
Mar 16, 2013
Texas
Who knows, both got benched in the playoffs afterall

True, but barring an increase in suckage i doubt that happens in the regular season. That said, I'm all for giving Cole one more chance. He's a much better fit in the system than Gonchar. Who knows maybe he can click with Spezza/Hemsky assuming those two can stay healthy.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Yeah, Cole seemed a little all over the place last year, some points he would take over a game others it would seem he just couldn't catch a pass. I think he would fit best on a just crash towards the net like the Roussel Eakin Garbutt line. He can still shoot and pot rebounds, he just seemed to have a hard time catching passes

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
that line could make cole look real good imo, then move him at the tdl
Cole already had time with Seguin and Benn last season. He started the year on their line. And it sure as hell didn't make him look good. Obviously, given he didn't stay on the line very long.

I don't see why Sceviour isn't given the nod for a top 6 role ahead of Cole. They need to find a way to get rid of him. We have plenty of candidates for bottom 6 roles, players who can play defense. I mean our feeder team just won the Calder Cup. There's options galore there. I'd rather see one of them get an opportunity.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I guess Nill was more direct with Freidman:
40. The Stars' plan for Ales Hemsky is to start him with Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin. "They are shooters," GM Jim Nill said. "We need a passer with them." Asked who Spezza gets, Nill first mentioned Valeri Nichushkin. After living with a local family much of last year, he is now on his own. Nill expects a similarly big step on the ice in the player's second season, and lining up with Spezza could do that.

That'll give you a rightie on at least 3 lines depending on what happens with the Eakin line.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I like it.

Is it October yet?

It's a Pejorative Slured 5 of 6 now matter how it shakes out. I'm so excited.

Very hopeful that Peverley is healthy and able to come back this fall. Peverley-Spezza-Nichushkin is a line I'd love to see after they give Cole a shot.

Primetimey*

Benn - Seguin - Hemsky
Nichushkin - Spezza - Ritchie

???

I wonder what they are thinking for the second line. Cole, Ritchie, Scveiour, who?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Benn - Seguin - Hemsky
Nichushkin - Spezza - Ritchie

???

I wonder what they are thinking for the second line. Cole, Ritchie, Scveiour, who?

I'd assume Cole. Sceviour would be nice.

Ritchie is going to have to push a one - way off the game day roster to get in.

Glennie gets waived and someone like Cole, Horcoff, or Sceviour comes out.

I think he'd have to put together a fairly impressive camp to accomplish that. To me it seems like he might have to over prove himself like Campbell. Nill said Campbell had to prove more than just capable of handling NHL shooters on a consistent basis. He had to prove he deserved a game every 3 or 4 games.

I would imagine Ritchie was given a similar message. Even though he could play a Bottom 6 role, I bet he needs to prove he's ready for Top 6 and PP time full time to stick right now.

I don't think that's impossible at all though.

Primetimey*

I think Cole is penciled in there, it is just weird going from playoff scratch to top six forward.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I think Cole is penciled in there, it is just weird going from playoff scratch to top six forward.

He has a 5.5 mil cap hit, you gotta at least him him a shot at regaining his a) play & b) value. If we never give him a shot we are going to have to keep that contract buried in the bottom 6 and won't be able to trade it, whereas you give him a shot in the top 6 right off the bat it gives him a chance to regain his play early in the year and you can determine if he becomes someone you want to hold onto for a playoff run, or he gains value and you can trade him as a UFA contract.

Not at least giving Cole a shot at the top 6 just means we will be stuck with his contract on the bottom 6 with no one wanting him, or he goes through waivers at some point.

I'd be cool with giving Cole the top 6 spot with Nichushkin & Spezza (assuming he doesn't totally **** the bed in training camp) and have Ritchie in Texas just waiting, along with Sceviour available to move up from the bottom six.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Wasn't Cole not too healthy when he was getting scratched in the playoffs?

Dude had 16 goals in 75 games. Could see him potting 20 playing with Spezza. His problem at this point is his hands just turn into rocks sometimes. But right now he seems a good option to try with Spezza and Nikachu. Sceviour yeah I can see that being an option too..He and Spezza, neither are burners so they can keep each other company.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Benn-Seguin-Hemsky
Cole-Spezza-Nichushkin
Garbutt-Eakin-Roussel
Horcoff-Fiddler-Sceviour
Eaves

Looks pretty darn good.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Wasn't Cole not too healthy when he was getting scratched in the playoffs?

Dude had 16 goals in 75 games. Could see him potting 20 playing with Spezza. His problem at this point is his hands just turn into rocks sometimes. But right now he seems a good option to try with Spezza and Nikachu. Sceviour yeah I can see that being an option too..He and Spezza, neither are burners so they can keep each other company.

That's a possibility. He was coming off an injury, and he never really played well coming back.

It's better to the alternative that he just regressed more.

I agree playing with Spezza could prove to be a boost for him, and I'm hoping for the best. He still has speed and was always good on the forecheck IMO. Even if he doesn't score a ton, that could be a valuable role on the line. Then if Peverley ever got to where he could play ... he could really upgrade that line.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I hate that quote from Nill, talk about a simplistic view. Ignoring the chemistry that exists between Hemsky and Spezza makes zero sense.

MetalGodAOD*

The quote means nothing, since Ruff will decide the lineup and it'll all be different after the first slump anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad