Line Combos: Opening Night Lineup vs Chicago

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This is a situation where I just disagree that Benn and Seguin need a playmaker alongside them. Between the two of them they managed to get themselves to the top of the scoring race last year. They did so by passing to one another and shooting.

I worry that putting Hemsky with those two further concentrates the talent up front to one line. To get the most out of Spezza you need to give him the tools to succeed. Are Nichushkin and Erik Cole really the pieces he can best utilize? We're still going to need every win we can get to make it back into the playoffs and get the best possible seeding. Forgoing ready-made chemistry does not give you the best chance to hit the ground running.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
This is a situation where I just disagree that Benn and Seguin need a playmaker alongside them. Between the two of them they managed to get themselves to the top of the scoring race last year. They did so by passing to one another and shooting.

I worry that putting Hemsky with those two further concentrates the talent up front to one line. To get the most out of Spezza you need to give him the tools to succeed. Are Nichushkin and Erik Cole really the pieces he can best utilize? We're still going to need every win we can get to make it back into the playoffs and get the best possible seeding. Forgoing ready-made chemistry does not give you the best chance to hit the ground running.

I'd rather see Cole on the line with Benn and Seguin since they can at least drag a few points out of him. And I agree that Benn and Seguin play their best when they're passing between each other and shooting. Whoever gets put on a line with them will get some points just by collecting rebounds or being open at the right time but I really don't see a point in putting another strong offensive player on that line instead of increasing the line depth. And that leaves Spezza with Nichushkin and Hemsky as a really solid scoring second line

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Nuke's physical gifts open up space for Benn and Seguin to work their magic. Also the point of this offseason was to make a 2nd scoring line, not going bananas loading more offense onto the 1st.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Peverley being out is making the prediction for top six hard. He would compliment Spezza perfectly.
Without Pevs I'd seriously look at putting together a top six like this:

Benn - Seguin - Glennie
Nuke - Spezza - Hemsky

Three reasons.
1) Glennie has the speed to keep up with the Bros
2) He could play along the boards and grind out pucks to the Bros
3) HF would go berserk
[Bonus: No Cole in top six]

Besides might as well try to get something out of him before demoting him to the bottom six. Playing with those two would give most players at least somewhat decent amount of points, let alone a player with a history of scoring. I do understand that more than a few posters would be against this :laugh:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Peverley being out is making the prediction for top six hard. He would compliment Spezza perfectly.
Without Pevs I'd seriously look at putting together a top six like this:

Benn - Seguin - Glennie
Nuke - Spezza - Hemsky

Three reasons.
1) Glennie has the speed to keep up with the Bros
2) He could play along the boards and grind out pucks to the Bros
3) HF would go berserk
[Bonus: No Cole in top six]

Besides might as well try to get something out of him before demoting him to the bottom six. Playing with those two would give most players at least somewhat decent amount of points, let alone a player with a history of scoring. I do understand that more than a few posters would be against this :laugh:

I doubt it happens but there is some logic to trying him out there. The collective meltdown if Glennie somehow made that situation work and they formed the ultimate bro line would be amazing.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
As funny as that would be ... I think they go Sceviour well before Glennie.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
The more I think about it, the more I'm not a fan of the Eaves signing. Wish we could've given Glennie a shot in that role instead

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I'm not a fan of the Eaves signing. Wish we could've given Glennie a shot in that role instead

I agree, but he still has a shot if he outplays Eaves. I wouldn't be surprised if Eaves winds up waived and clears easily.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Eaves can't stay healthy. He might not even make it through training camp, who knows. I don't have a problem with signing a veteran bottom 6 guy for just over the league minimum. I'm not thrilled that he's taking up a spot for a young guy but it's good insurance to have. I agree that if he's outplayed in training camp that he will probably be waived and sent down if he clears. No biggie.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I doubt it happens but there is some logic to trying him out there. The collective meltdown if Glennie somehow made that situation work and they formed the ultimate bro line would be amazing.

before glennie got hurt last preseason, I want to think he was playing with them, well for at least the game he got hurt in

yanko6

Benn there done that
Mar 16, 2013
Texas
Wasn't Cole not too healthy when he was getting scratched in the playoffs?

Dude had 16 goals in 75 games. Could see him potting 20 playing with Spezza. His problem at this point is his hands just turn into rocks sometimes. But right now he seems a good option to try with Spezza and Nikachu. Sceviour yeah I can see that being an option too..He and Spezza, neither are burners so they can keep each other company.

I think we have several guys in Dallas and Austin that if given the same opportunity could easly equal Cole's 16 if not more. I'm not going to lose any sleep thinking what if should Ruff benched him the entire year.

john skull

Jul 1, 2004
New York City
There is no way Glennie makes the big club's top six, right? I mean, it just doesn't seem possible to me. He can't even hold down a top six spot in CP, doesn't score that much, can't stay on the ice, isn't a big physical presence, I wish I knew what his possession stats were like but he can't be that good defensively. Surely this is some "#1 goalie and norris trophy winner in 2 years time" type bs right?

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Sure he is on a path to being a bottom six NHLer, but he does have good set of skills and incredible speed. He can also be a grinder and compliment two high skill guys by being the guy who plays along the boards. Not very likely but plausible that he could play top six. Maybe the bros could spark his production and confidence up :dunno:

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Glennie with Benn/Seguin wouldn't be much different than Sceviour or even Cole. All three are 3rd string on that line. What he does well is he's better defensively than the other two. He's the fastest skater and probably better on the boards. I would never advocate Glennie as the shooter for Spezza but if Hemsky goes back with Spezza then Glennie has just as much, maybe even more to offer as far as dirty work goes for the bros than anyone else.

Nichushkin can obviously be good with them but I think he can be great with Spezza feeding him the puck. So I expect to see several different things this preseason and I hope Glennie gets every chance to make the roster because he has way more upside for this organization than Cole or Eaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad