Speculation: Opening Night Lines?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Does anyone find it odd that the assistant captains haven't been named yet? I guess maybe we find out on Thursday when the players take the ice with the letters?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does anyone find it odd that the assistant captains haven't been named yet? I guess maybe we find out on Thursday when the players take the ice with the letters?

With this roster?

No... lol

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
We are also about $8M in retained and buyout costs. Only DDK and Fabbri are mildly overpaid now. I feel the rest is fair enough.
Exactly.

And I'd rather have this roster with $12 million in cap space (plus whatever LTIR room they end up with) than the seasons the Wings spent to the cap on washed up vets and still had a crap roster.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Fabbri is well over .5 pts per game, how do you figure he's overpaid at $3M?. A similar player in FA would likely cost over $4M.

Unless of course you're talking about his propensity for injury.

This. Getting a second line winger that can be a 50 point guy, which is what Fabbri has been since coming to Detroit, at less than $3M is not overpaid. It's not even fairly paid. We are underpaying Fabbri for what he has provided to this point. Not by a lot, but certainly underpaying.

Reactions: Gniwder

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Does the team get an extra roster spot when Bert is ineligible to travel to Canada? The protocol just says he's suspended, and a suspension doesn't necessarily mean an extra roster spot. For vaccinated players, it's treated the same as an injury.

I kinda speed read this thing because I haven't had dinner yet.... and I did not see anything about roster space.

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2021-22/2021-22COVIDProtocol.pdf

My point was more that it would potentially bring them closer to having to use emergency recall, or just simply recall a forward anytime one goes on IR, since they otherwise have 12 other forwards including Bertuzzi.

But I too am not really sure how Bertuzzi's situation would work with Emergency Recall. The CBA states that it's for when injury, illness or a League suspension causes a team to have less than 2G, 6D or 12F. I'm not sure if Bertuzzi's situation adds to that or not. Though, I'm pretty sure the league has allowed teams to use Emergency Recall when a player is away for personal reasons like a death in the family or wife having a kid (and just in case it causes a stir, I'm not comparing Bertuzzi's situation to those in any sort of way other than being outside of what the CBA states).

On the whole, I just figured that it's highly likely Bertuzzi not going to Canada for nine games will increase the need for a forward recall around those games.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I have been really enjoying Seider not being included on all of the pre-season chatter from all the "analysts", neither in Calder talk nor in discussing how the Wings will fair, this year.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I have been really enjoying Seider not being included on all of the pre-season chatter from all the "analysts", neither in Calder talk nor in discussing how the Wings will fair, this year.
Unless you're an offensive dynamo you're just not going to get a lot of coverage as a defenseman.

Reactions: golffuul

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We have a spot at center for him. They just keep trying to shoehorn Rasmussen into a role he won't be good at. Just turn the f***ing guy into our 3rd line winger and be done with it.

Yeah makes sense to just give up on a 9th overall pick when theyre 22 and have played one partial season of center in their pro careers.

6'6, physical centers sound like they wouldnt help at all in the playoffs when games get tougher.

Come on man

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Swap Veleno/Berggren with Vlad at some point and I can roll with this.

I also look forward to the day where I don’t see Dekeyser as the first name listed on the left side of our defense.

If we replaced Namestikov with Veleno this would be exactly what I hoped for. Considering how much the Wings usually let me down on the opening roster, I'm content with this.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah makes sense to just give up on a 9th overall pick when theyre 22 and have played one partial season of center in their pro careers.

6'6, physical centers sound like they wouldnt help at all in the playoffs when games get tougher.

Come on man

Rasmussen could help his case if the guy had better than NHL average skating. He's not a plodder but he's also not someone you want pushing the play through the neutral zone.

And it would help if his physicality actually helped him gain possession of the puck. Most of his hits have zero impact on the play. He's not separating people from the puck with them. Just hitting someone after they've already made a breakout pass, and then chasing the play back to his zone. That wouldn't be bad if he was the kind of hitter that defensemen feared...but Rasmussen is not.

Also if Rasmussen was the 29th or 39th overall pick instead of the 9th overall pick you wouldn't even be mentioning where he was drafted. Get past that. He's been with the organization full time since 2018. It's time for Ras to prove it or lose it.

Reactions: Gniwder

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
This. Getting a second line winger that can be a 50 point guy, which is what Fabbri has been since coming to Detroit, at less than $3M is not overpaid. It's not even fairly paid. We are underpaying Fabbri for what he has provided to this point. Not by a lot, but certainly underpaying.
If you divide his points over a whole season it's not good. He's made of balsa and paper machete. Half point a game for half the games doesn't win you much.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Rasmussen could help his case if the guy had better than NHL average skating. He's not a plodder but he's also not someone you want pushing the play through the neutral zone.

And it would help if his physicality actually helped him gain possession of the puck. Most of his hits have zero impact on the play. He's not separating people from the puck with them. Just hitting someone after they've already made a breakout pass, and then chasing the play back to his zone. That wouldn't be bad if he was the kind of hitter that defensemen feared...but Rasmussen is not.

Also if Rasmussen was the 29th or 39th overall pick instead of the 9th overall pick you wouldn't even be mentioning where he was drafted. Get past that. He's been with the organization full time since 2018. It's time for Ras to prove it or lose it.

Once again, hes young and after one season of playing center, none of those things are final products. The wings arent going to be good, why wouldnt you develop him for at least one more year before just saying f*** it and throwing him on the wing? What do the wings have to lose? People love Veleno, but he hasnt had a good offensive season since junior. Rasmussen was the number one center in Grand Rapids a couple years ago while Veleno was a fourth liner

Rasmussen is a better center than Veleno.

Fight me.

Anyone who has consistently watched them both play with Grand Rapids would agree with that. Rasmussen was significantly better in Grand Rapids at center than Veleno has been in Grand Rapids or Sweden (the odd time he played center)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad