Speculation: Opening Night Lines?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Once again, hes young and after one season of playing center, none of those things are final products. The wings arent going to be good, why wouldnt you develop him for at least one more year before just saying f*** it and throwing him on the wing? What do the wings have to lose? People love Veleno, but he hasnt had a good offensive season since junior. Rasmussen was the number one center in Grand Rapids a couple years ago while Veleno was a fourth liner

Anyone who has consistently watched them both play with Grand Rapids would agree with that. Rasmussen was significantly better in Grand Rapids at center than Veleno has been in Grand Rapids or Sweden (the odd time he played center)

I think Veleno can get to being a good center at the NHL level. A part of that is him actually playing the #1C role in Grand Rapids and showing his growth this season with the big off-season. He won't be there long if he does what he should, but he is behind Rasmussen right now. I know you have heard it as well, but my sources, players that played against both in the AHL... Also have a couple friends in the business on the scouting side. Rasmussen is valued a little higher outside of our fan-base with hockey types because of how unique he really is. I just wish they could get him to play meaner hockey in Detroit, I think that is his next step.

Veleno still has things to learn at that level, now he can knock most of them out in a month. I think he will go down and do that, but until he does I am not convinced this is damaging to him at all. I think he made off-season gains, I like where he is at, we should see him soon in my opinion, this gives us better organizational depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: sepster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
They kept those lines very intack on the first 4 games and some notes:

First line is fine, it just gels together.
Second has been defensively the weakest link. They create chances, offensively it looks good, but is not burying chances.
3rd line is overachieveing. Like as a bulldozer line, they have been doing good work thanks mostly to Erne and Rasmussen.
4th line is not weak link either.

DeKeyser-Hronek has been the weakest D-pair, especially when they match with the second line.
Staal-Lindström ir working fine, as well as Leddy-Seider.

As going forward, we should tweak these a bit.

We did already see new defence pairing at the 3rd period of Flames-game.

Leddy-Lindström was put together, as well as Staal-Hronek. This left DeKeyser-Seider to the 3rd one. I really like these combinations, like, there's some skill missing in current Staal-Lindström pair, Lindström has to be the puckmoving guy and that's not optimal. Same at LEddy-Seider, Seider has to be the defensive guy and I want him to drive offense. At DeKeyser-Seider pair, the role split is obviois. Seider can create offense, DeKeyser is the defensive guy. Staal-Hronek will work identical and Leddy-Lindström as well, Lindström as the defensive one.

Hope we will see at road games:
DeKeyser - Seider
Staal - Hronek
Leddy - Lindström

At forward lines, that middle6 just will need some fix. 2nd line Fabbri-Suter-Zadina is physically too weak and there's no net-front precence. Erne should be promoted in here. 3rd line has opposite problem, too much bulldozers and no skill. You just add Zadina there, and it has then great balance. Nothing wrong at 1st or 4th lines.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Fabbri - Suter - Erne
Namest - Ras - Zadina
Smith - Stephens - Gagner

There you go. Good and balanced road trip lines. Just swap Zadina and Erne.

But, Bertuzzi Problem happens first time at Montreal, then you have to adjust something. I would put Erne straight to 1st line, to have a physical guy there. Then promote Smith to 3rd line, and still try this 2nd line together as the same. But for the Chicago-game Bertuzzi is back, I'd go with that new middle6, Zadina with Rasmussen etc. Think that bulldozer 3rd works at home games, but on road, you need to split the talent up.

At Montreal
Erne - Larkin - Raymond
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina
Namest - Ras - Smith
Gagner - Stephens - Rowney

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
A handful of games in and I'd like to see something like this

Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Suter - Rasmussen - Erne
Namestikov - Stephens - Gagner
*Rowney, Smith

Leddy - Seider
Staal - Hronek
Oesterle - Lindstrom
*Dekeyser - Stetcher

Ned
Greiss

I certainly don't want to see this team "buy," as we're nowhere near playoff contention imo, but I would be very open to a low-cost LHD addition to stop some of the bleeding on this blueline.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Once we get Vrana back...

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond
Bertuzzi-X-Vrana
Veleno-Rasmussen-Zadina
Vlad-Stephens-Erne/Smith

Leddy-Seider
Y-Hronek
Staal-Lindstrom/Stecher

We need to make Dekeyser and Suter disappear. Then we need to solve for X and Y.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
A handful of games in and I'd like to see something like this

Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Suter - Rasmussen - Erne
Namestikov - Stephens - Gagner
Rowney

Leddy - Seider
Staal - Hronek
Oesterle - Lindstrom
*Dekeyser - Stetcher

Ned
Greiss

I certainly don't want to see this team "buy," as we're nowhere near playoff contention imo, but I would be very open to a low-cost LHD addition to stop some of the bleeding on this blueline.

very similar to mine, but I'd rotate DDK/Oesterle & trade both asap. Try letting Stech play (3LD if he can)

Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Suter - Rasmussen - Erne
Namestikov - Stephens - Smith/Gagner
Rowney, Smith

Leddy - Seider
Staal - Hronek
DDK/Oesterle - Lindstrom
Oest/DDK- Stetcher

Ned/Greiss equal rotation gp til 1 grabs the cheese. But, go with the "hot hand". They should've started Greiss vs. CGY as he was winning. Blash!

once Vrana returns, add F&Z =L2.

Veleno drops to 3C, Ras to 4W/C, Smith/Gags TDL/waiver/GR/pressbox.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad