Speculation: Opening night line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What the reports said about this whole Dumba RNH situation, I can't remember precisely. Was it rumoured that Edmonton asked Dumba and some little plus for RNH and Fletch declined on that or how it went..

Tbh, I can't see Edmonton accepting Dumba as a return for RNH without major addition.

I'm guessing that EDM asked for Coyle or Nino on top of Dumba. If so, I'm glad that Fletcher balked.

I like Haula, and he is a bargain at 1M, but hockey wise you would've had to consider it. That deal would've been unattractive financially, though, as we would've had to have eaten 2.5M in cap, and we'd still be looking for a C. Hindsight is 20/20. When the deal was rumored, the World Cup of Hockey hadn't been played. RNH had an injury riddled, ineffective season, while Haula looked terrific in the last half. During the WCOH Haula was ok but unremarkable, while RNH looked good, albeit playing with some terrific talent on the U23 team. Extremely small sample size to base any opinions on. Haula actually fits our club well.

If Reilly shows well and his skills seems to mirror Dumba's, then it would free us up to move Dumba for a forward....perhaps a top forward prospect? Reilly isn't draft eligible, so that would be a BIG bonus.

All this is pure speculation. I don't see a move happening anytime soon, and I think BB has to make a decision regarding Folin, Reilly, and Prosser. Maybe he is trying to prod Dumba, but it could also be that he simply wants to see more of Folin and Reilly. I'm betting that he likes Folin's size and ability to add some toughness, but Reilly's talent is hard to ignore.

Decisions, decisions.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I could see a Reilly/Brodin second pair, Scandella/Folin (Dumba) 3rd pairing.

Reilly falls into the same category as Tuch. Good enough to make the team, but if it isn't for meaningful minutes every night let them play top mins in Iowa until injures force callups.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Parise- Staal- Coyle
Nino- Koivu- Granny
Zucker- JEE- Pomms Maybe these guys gel? Or it gets blown up quick.
Bert- Haula- Stew The catch you sleeping 4th line. Big hit or breakaway.

Suter- Spurgeon Could roll all 3 all game long.
Scandella- Dumba
Reilly- Brodin

PP1
Parise- Coyle- Nino
Dumba- Reilly
Deflections, battlers and point shots

PP2
Granlund-Koivu- Pomms
Haula- Brodin
Control, pass and wear.

Take Suter off the PP. He is good there but good is just good. He cant play over 25min a game any more.
Haula can get back on D and if the other team is in a lazy change instant PP break away.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Not sure I understand Nino on 3rd line and Zucker on 4th line. I guess Boudreau wants 4 scoring lines?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Reilly playing 10 minutes of bottom-pairing minutes + 2nd PP unit will help him develop at this point in his career.

It's not like he'll be a 4th line forward who doesn't play any special teams.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Not sure I understand Nino on 3rd line and Zucker on 4th line. I guess Boudreau wants 4 scoring lines?

Zucker-JEE have been paired together all preseason, might be a comfort thing for JEE.

Nino-Haula paired to see if they can rekindle last years magic. Short preseason for Nino with WCH.

All 4 lines have 1 RHS this way too.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Gotta keep Granlund & Pominville together; rekindle that magic.

If they find it again, watch out. It would be so great for Pominville to resurrect his career under a new coach, in a new system. If that happens, we have one of the absolute best winger groups in the league.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Gotta keep Granlund & Pominville together; rekindle that magic.

More like they need someone to shoot on that line. The real question is if Pommer can score a couple goals early in the season on his 8-10 SA a game.

I do like the idea of Pommer on the PK. He was decent at it in Buffalo.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Reilly playing 10 minutes of bottom-pairing minutes + 2nd PP unit will help him develop at this point in his career.

It's not like he'll be a 4th line forward who doesn't play any special teams.

Didn't we just try that with Dumba?

Iowa should be an improved team, strong defense, solid goalteanding, and a passable FWD group. 25 mins a night there with PP and PK time would be better than the 10 mins of protected time in MN.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's one wimpy fourth line. It's nice to have speed, but if you're so small and weak that the big boys keep taking your pucks and won't let you play then it doesn't help much. And how are they going to take the puck off anybody?
It's really like a third line, but an inexperienced one. Don't see a lot of defence ability there, except Ek, possibly. Maybe Bertschy was working out a lot during the summer?

Seems like Carter's shoulder never fully healed from 2014-15 season. Too bad. I liked him. The team could use his toughness.

Can't help but feel that there has to be another signing coming up. Maybe a trade of Prosser for a fourth liner? If we can sign a Porter for nothing, don't know if that is wise.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Didn't we just try that with Dumba?

Iowa should be an improved team, strong defense, solid goalteanding, and a passable FWD group. 25 mins a night there with PP and PK time would be better than the 10 mins of protected time in MN.

Reilly is 23. We did it with Dumba at 19, 20 and 21 when he should have been getting big minutes in Iowa.

Reilly isn't likely to physically mature anymore, and he already looked competent last year. NHL experience is probably best for him at this point.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I find the lack of forwards to be disturbing, especially while we keep 8 D. It's highly likely
that Ek will go back to Sweden after 9 games, and tissue soft Bertschy doesn't seem to fit what BB wants at all, especially if we've already got a speed/skill guy on the other wing. Last thing you want is Ek being the guy who has to stand up to the Reaves and Peluso's of the world.

I'm guessing that Fletcher is scanning the waiver wire looking for decent fourth liners, perhaps using Prosser( or Folin) as trade bait, also? Our entire fourth line from last year is gone ( Stoll, Porter, Carter). They weren't world beaters, but IMO Fletcher has been caught with his pants down depending on " internal improvement" to replace them.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reilly is 23. We did it with Dumba at 19, 20 and 21 when he should have been getting big minutes in Iowa.

Reilly isn't likely to physically mature anymore, and he already looked competent last year. NHL experience is probably best for him at this point.

Yes, it would be no accident if Reilly looks ready from an athletic standpoint to play in the NHL. Still has to adjust to the speed and power, but he has above average wheels and puck skills, and enough strength to survive.

Having Brodin's ability to play both sides well is handy. Gives us some flexibility when choosing the D roster.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I find the lack of forwards to be disturbing, especially while we keep 8 D. It's highly likely
that Ek will go back to Sweden after 9 games, and tissue soft Bertschy doesn't seem to fit what BB wants at all, especially if we've already got a speed/skill guy on the other wing. Last thing you want is Ek being the guy who has to stand up to the Reaves and Peluso's of the world.

I'm guessing that Fletcher is scanning the waiver wire looking for decent fourth liners, perhaps using Prosser( or Folin) as trade bait, also? Our entire fourth line from last year is gone ( Stoll, Porter, Carter). They weren't world beaters, but IMO Fletcher has been caught with his pants down depending on " internal improvement" to replace them.

Meh hemming the Peluso's and Reaves in their own zone is more important. Last years fourth line was one of the worst fourth lines in the league. So it was addition by subtraction.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Our 4th line last year was terrible. It's a good thing they are all gone. Personally, i'm excited for a skilled 4th line.

Between Haula line, and Koivu line we've got enough guys that can play D zone minutes, and still drive the possession the right way and produce offense. Ek, Zucker and Bert can take O zone starts and concentrate on offense.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

Center looks really thin (as usual) assuming that Ek gets his handful of games and goes back down.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild must be banking on Graovac or Tuch showing improvement down in the AHL, pronto. I mean, Dalpe? I had hoped that Stewart would be on the fourth line.

What are the Wild going to do when they get an injury, let alone two, how about three, to the front line?

The D can take a couple of hits and keep going, I think. Depends on how reliable Reilly gets. We know he's got an offensive game, but can he be a somewhat solid defender? Or does he need to be protected by a Brodin? Don't think Dumba is the guy you want for that job, and Folin is still a question mark. Sure would be nice if Olofsson gets and stays healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad