Speculation: Opening night line-up predictions?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I've been on board with fixing Sid's line and addressing Malkin's later in the season. Moving him to wing for now with Beau out is a stopgap solution.

The PP setup will drive me nuts though. They better not be catering to Kunitz. The guy's turning 35 and is in no way a better netfront presence than PH. Bump him off, save his body some wear and tear and get Ehrhoff on the top unit.

I'm sure Tocchet will do alot of good things for this team, but if he fails to see the obvious with the PP, that's strike 1 for me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've been on board with fixing Sid's line and addressing Malkin's later in the season. Moving him to wing for now with Beau out is a stopgap solution.

The PP setup will drive me nuts though. They better not be catering to Kunitz. The guy's turning 35 and is in no way a better netfront presence than PH. Bump him off, save his body some wear and tear and get Ehrhoff on the top unit.

I'm sure Tocchet will do alot of good things for this team, but if he fails to see the obvious with the PP, that's strike 1 for me.

Was it you I had the long going discussion about it not being a certainty that Kunitz would lose his spot on the top PP unit to Hornqvist, and you saying there's no way Kunitz keeps that spot?

It was earlier in the summer when folks were convinced Hornqvist would be entrenched in that spot on the top unit in favor of Kunitz, and I said "I'll believe it when I see it".

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Was it you I had the long going discussion about it not being a certainty that Kunitz would lose his spot on the top PP unit to Hornqvist, and you saying there's no way Kunitz keeps that spot?

It was earlier in the summer when folks were convinced Hornqvist would be entrenched in that spot on the top unit in favor of Kunitz, and I said "I'll believe it when I see it".

I said PH is a vastly superior netfront presence. Correct.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I said PH is a vastly superior netfront presence. Correct.

It may not happen on day 1, but PH will be the net front guy by the end of the season, and Ehrhoff will be the QB. That's the least of my concerns with this team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It may not happen on day 1, but PH will be the net front guy by the end of the season, and Ehrhoff will be the QB. That's the least of my concerns with this team.

It's not the least of mine. It's ridiculously obvious what the PP set up should be, yet they aren't doing it. Why are they catering to Kunitz to make a worse PP? I'd rather see Hornqvist off the top PP than run Malkin at the point over Ehrhoff.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's not the least of mine. It's ridiculously obvious what the PP set up should be, yet they aren't doing it. Why are they catering to Kunitz to make a worse PP? I'd rather see Hornqvist off the top PP than run Malkin at the point over Ehrhoff.

Wait, Ehrhoff isn't on the top unit, either? Who are they running up front, if Malkin's manning the point with Letang?

I'm confused. Are both Kunitz and Hornqvist penciled in up front, but Kunitz is slotted as the net front presence?

Did Dan Bylsma return as head coach when I wasn't looking?!?!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It may not happen on day 1, but PH will be the net front guy by the end of the season, and Ehrhoff will be the QB.

Yeah, that's what I think. I can understand why people would be aggravated that Tocchet's being a bit gun shy about it instead of just pulling the trigger. I mean, it's pretty clear where this is probably going.

In a week, a month, two months, whenever, you're going to see some quote about managing Kunitz' ice time to keep him fresh from one of the coaches and that'll be the end of him on the first unit, barring injury.

___________|------|___________
___________Kunitz___________
Bennett_____________________
___________Sutter___________
__________________Lefty with a hard slapshot
_____Martin_________________

Isn't that bad of a second unit, either, imo.

Last edited:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Yeah, that's what I think. I can understand why people would be aggravated that Tocchet's being a bit gun shy about it instead of just pulling the trigger. I mean, it's pretty clear where this is probably going.

In a week, a month, two months, whenever, you're going to see some quote about managing Kunitz' ice time to keep him fresh from one of the coaches and that'll be the end of him on the first unit, barring injury.

Bennett____Kunitz

___________Sutter
__________________Lefty with a hard slapshot
_____Martin

Isn't a bad of a second unit, either, imo.

I assume that'd be either Despres or Maatta

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

This board is overly sensitive to vets getting preferential treatment, and understandably so. The last coaching group went way overboard with that stuff, and stubbornly clung to it. But the new group has to manage new personalities in the room, get buy-in from the whole team, and put the best lineups on the ice.

How I would go about achieving those goals is to gradually get PH time in front of the net, and get Ehrhoff time on 1st PP at the point. And then it will become painfully obvious to everyone on the team what the proper setup should be. During that time Horns and Ehrhoff will have time to establish themselves as leaders in the room (in the case of PH especially).

If you just demote Kunitz on day 1, you risk fracturing the room right away, which is in no one's best interests.

The team's makeup and their lines and special teams units at the end of the regular season are what's important, not the practices before the 1st game.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I assume that'd be either Despres or Maatta

Inclined to think one of those guys will be taking Martin's job when he's traded (everyone in the media seems convinced he will be). Johnston seems to be flirting with the idea of Dupuis there.

He has the biggest slapshot of anyone not on the first unit and some point experience, but I don't know about him trying to hold the point with his hands.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
so, new coach, new regime... Malkin on the wing? :help:

His first practice with the team was yesterday.

The only issue should be that he's even being considered to play at all. If he's not ready to play center (and how could he be, he's only had 2 practices) should he really be in the lineup of Game 1 out of 82?

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
How I would go about achieving those goals is to gradually get PH time in front of the net, and get Ehrhoff time on 1st PP at the point.

By this do you mean throughout the course of the season sprinkling in Hornqvist in place of Kunitz on PP1? You don't think a wiley veteran like Kunitz will pick up on that with the same result? Heck, Adams already tried to take out Sundqvist when he felt his position was in danger! :laugh:

And then it will become painfully obvious to everyone on the team what the proper setup should be.

If there's anything I've seen the last 5 years it's that nothing is ever painful enough to be obvious to this group. It was painfully obvious KCD needed to be split up and Iginla was being grossly misused. I have little faith that change can come from within with this group. Watching Sid and Kunitz play keep-away from Bennett when their buddy Pascal was taken off the first line last season speaks to that.

During that time Horns and Ehrhoff will have time to establish themselves as leaders in the room (in the case of PH especially).

Why are we pretending like it’s some league-wide secret that Hornqvist is the premier net-front presence on the PP, or that Ehrhoff is a proven commodity manning the point? It reminds me a lot of Dupuis being assured his first line RW spot even when we traded for a HOF RW.

If you just demote Kunitz on day 1, you risk fracturing the room right away, which is in no one's best interests. The team's makeup and their lines and special teams units at the end of the regular season are what's important, not the practices before the 1st game.

Rip the band-aid off in one stroke. You just fired management and traded away a star winger who had great chemistry with one of your franchise players. There’s already fracturing taking place, and if there’s a player who could use a certain fracturing, maybe Mr. Team Canada could use the slap.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Rip the band-aid off in one stroke. You just fired management and traded away a star winger who had great chemistry with one of your franchise players. There’s already fracturing taking place, and if there’s a player who could use a certain fracturing, maybe Mr. Team Canada could use the slap.

Yeah, I mean, this team is already fractured before Bylsma got fired and that's what they're trying to fix. I can get not wanting the team to turn on you, and they're fragile, but at some point you have to do what's best for the stupid team, and I doubt most of them would care. Do you know what will fracture them, though? Giving players preferential treatment to spite yourself and then making the rest of them compensate for that which will inevitably lead to failure.

Kunitz is also 35 and they should be thinking about preserving him to try and drag out whatever top 6 time he has left. Kunitz also needs a kick in the ass, imo, at least try to see if he can play more like he used to than he's been doing. PP2 and put him with Malkin (poor Kunitz, it's such a punishment), bad habits need to be broken, too.

I find it weirdly insulting to everyone involved if they're treating Kunitz like a child who needs to be coddled and Hornqvist like something they might try to sneak in if it doesn't upset someone. It's the same with Letang on PP1 over Ehrhoff if they're going with 4 forwards, there's one player who is clearly better at that role.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I'm trying to remain optimistic because I do like the off season moves and I do like MJ as a head coach but I really hate Malkin playing wing and I hate Kunitz on PP1 just as much. Gonna give it time and see what happens.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
If Malkin on wing really is about conditioning, then I'm okay with it. You expend more energy as a center. If he doesn't have the stamina to play center now, but can get by on wing....well it's better to have him in the lineup as a wing than not at all.

But once he's 100% he better be back at center.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why are we pretending like it’s some league-wide secret that Hornqvist is the premier net-front presence on the PP, or that Ehrhoff is a proven commodity manning the point? It reminds me a lot of Dupuis being assured his first line RW spot even when we traded for a HOF RW.

This.

And this.

The whole point of adding Hornqvist was because he brought something to the table (go to the net, net front presence) that we didn't already have. So it makes zero sense not to use him in that position, all because we don't want to hurt Chris Kunitz's feelings.

Has the organization not learned anything from the "promise Dupuis his spot on the top line" fiasco? Start from scratch and let players earn their spots. Don't just keep returning veterans in certain spots because that's where they played previously.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Well with the update from MJ about Malkin and Määttä playing the line up is looking like

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Dupuis - Sutter - Malkin
Downie - Goc - Spaling
Sill - Adams - Ebbett

Letang - Ehrhoff
Martin - Määttä
Despres - Scuderi

Fleury

I know ebbett and sill were sent down, but that could likely be to salary cap issues. And they could be back for the opener

Kapanen is also thought to be heading back to Finland. But we'll see in the time leading up to tomorrow's game.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Well with the update from MJ about Malkin and Määttä playing the line up is looking like

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Dupuis - Sutter - Malkin
Downie - Goc - Spaling
Sill - Adams - Ebbett

Letang - Ehrhoff
Martin - Määttä
Despres - Scuderi

Fleury

I know ebbett and sill were sent down, but that could likely be to salary cap issues. And they could be back for the opener

Kapanen is also thought to be heading back to Finland. But we'll see in the time leading up to tomorrow's game.

I think Comeau is on the 3rd line with Goc but I could be wrong

The 4th line will be two of Ebbett, Sill or Adams and Downie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad