Speculation: Opening night line-up predictions?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I haven't been on this board in awhile. So people on here still complain about Kunitz and Dupuis? STILL?? For 5 years now? Reading some of this stuff on here..... :banghead:

True. We can't argue agt the playoff success this team has had the last 5 years.

Not like the coach and GM just got fired or anything.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
We had 5 forwards that put up 50 points.. we lost Jussi and Neal.. replaced them with Hornqvist/Spaling. So I doubt we will have the same amount of 50 point scorers, unless Spaling goes on an absolute tear.

so what, downie, goc, dupuis, bennett, and spaling won't add up to the other 50 points? all of those players are basically new additions, and i know replacing glass kobasew adams pyatt gibbons and megna's monstrous point totals might be a huge task but i think they can do it

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
If this has been discussed then I am sorry, but Johnston seems to be flirting heavily with the idea of playing Geno on Sid's wing to start the season. (Or when he is ready to play.)

These are Johnston's words here. "The combinations, I talked to him a little bit [Tuesday], whenever he does come back we might even put him on the wing, might even put him on the right wing," Johnston said. "We're trying to see what is the best fit right now. Beau Bennett was going to be a factor in what we do with our lines heading into training camp, but Beau's obviously out for a little while.

"Just to get [Malkin] back and I like the way Sutter's playing right now … He [Malkin] is a great center and we can use him at center, we know that. But getting him in with the best people right now, we may look at him playing the wing."

I really don't know what to say to this.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
all I can say is I am glad Orpik is no longer with us .... did anyone see this one TSN?

"Washington – It’s understandable that Washington wanted to improve defensively this summer, but a pile of money in the direction of always-outshot Brooks Orpik is just wildly confusing. Orpik’s minus-4.6% RelativeCorsi% over the last three seasons is 238th out of 251 qualified defenders, and more than a handful of the guys who rank below him have washed out of the league. It won’t be long before Orpik is jumped in the lineup by better options, much like Bolland in Florida."

http://www.tsn.ca/yost-analytics-storylines-for-each-nhl-team-this-season-1.101347

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can't handle Dupuis' hands in the top 6 again. I don't know if they got worse, if I'd gotten used to them or if I just forgot how bad they are, but I can't do it again.

The top six, in general, doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence. Obviously, there's still an entire season to go. Maybe JR will pull the trigger on a big deal between now and the trade deadline. But if this is the top six -- whichever variation of winger Johnston ends up using -- then I don't like our Cup chances.

It's kind of scary that, after all these seasons of talking about it, this club has two -- TWO -- legitimate top six wingers. At some point in Crosby and Malkin's careers, they'll both get to play with two good wingers, right? Right?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I had to read that sentence a good 2 or 3 times to figure out WTF you were saying :laugh:

Is "Horny" the official nickname going around here?

Oh, it's official.

horny.jpg

Snapdragin

Aug 14, 2014
PA
Looks like it could be something like this now:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornquist
Dupuis-Sutter-Malkin
Downie-Spaling-Kapanen
Adams/Sill-Goc-Comeau

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I want a Penguins version of that "Me So Horny" t-shirt.

Wait...the Pens marketing people would never be that clever.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
It looks like that this could be the lineup on Thursday, if Malkin is ready to go.

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Malkin
Comeau-Goc-Downie
Adams-Spaling-Sill

I´ve read that Johnston would like to play Comeau-Goc-Spaling together, but I doubt that Downie will be on the 4th line. Sill could play C as well, it will be interesting to see what Johnston will decide to do. Personally I´d like to see Kunitz with Malkin, but it won´t happen, at least not at the start.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Hi guys, can someone tell me if I should start Malkin on my fantasy team on Thursday? I have to go to work soon so you'll have to tell me really soon thanks for your help

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Hi guys, can someone tell me if I should start Malkin on my fantasy team on Thursday? I have to go to work soon so you'll have to tell me really soon thanks for your help

No one knows yet. Not even Geno himself.

If your options are Malkin or Spaling, start Geno. If your options are Malkin or Hornqvist, start Hornqvist to be safe. You get the idea. If you have good replacement options, nothing wrong with playing it safe and get the guaranteed start. But if the replacement options are bottom-6'ers, go for the home run by starting Geno.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
flame away, but I would like to try Downie with Sid and Horny
Re-unite Kunitz with Malkin (if they're really gonna try him on the wing....)

Downie - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Sutter - Malkin
Comeau - Goc - Dupuis
Adams - Spaling - Sill

I'd rather see Malkin at center and Adams shot to the moon
Downie - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Sutter
Dupuis - Spaling - Kapanen
Comeau - Goc - Sill

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
No one knows yet. Not even Geno himself.

If your options are Malkin or Spaling, start Geno. If your options are Malkin or Hornqvist, start Hornqvist to be safe. You get the idea. If you have good replacement options, nothing wrong with playing it safe and get the guaranteed start. But if the replacement options are bottom-6'ers, go for the home run by starting Geno.

Solid advice. I am probably going to start Malkin as my other options are Kucherov(who I am considering given his pre-season performance), Conacher or Lindstrom. One game from Malkin(but even that is not guaranteed) is likely better than two games from the other guys.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It would of been interesting to see what def would of been the healthy scratch tomorrow had Bort stayed healthy, I'm guessing either Despres or Scuderi.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Opening night, top 6 appears to be:

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Dupuis - Sutter - Malkin

If Johnston sticks with the Goc line, then the bottom 6 will look like:

Spaling - Goc - Comeau
Downie - Ebbett - Adams/Sill

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Opening night, top 6 appears to be:

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Dupuis - Sutter - Malkin

If Johnston sticks with the Goc line, then the bottom 6 will look like:

Spaling - Goc - Comeau
Downie - Ebbett - Adams/Sill

Poor Geno. :(

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Wait, so is Kappy still here? Sundqvist got sent back right?

Sorry, I've been out of touch for the last couple days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad