GDT: OPENING NIGHT IN SMASHVILLE: 2015-10-08 Canes v. Preds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
There is still something that bugs me about that 3rd line. There was a lot of speed but not much sense. Arvidsson-Hodgson-Jarnkrok is far from Stanley Cup champion's third line.

Just "something" that bugs you? That sounds like a singular, rather than plural, item. If I had to condense what bugged me about the 3rd line into a singular item, I'd say it's that the trio look fruity together.

I realize it's just one game, truly. But they looked so disjointed, off, as a whole that I found it hard to pinpoint where they individually were or weren't up to par.... I think it would have helped if Hodgson had one a couple more face-offs, but even then, they just seemed like three individual guys on the ice at the same time.

Arvidsson looked like every other rookie I've seen - skated fast, tried to do everything, be everywhere, be all things to all people maybe, and had both goods and bads to go with that. But I didn't see a thing in him that truly stood out as saying "this guy is better than the slew of other 3rd line rookies I've seen before". I don't count the penalty against him any more than I count his goal for him (both were total flukes, imo), but the fast forchecking and 2 shots to offset the 2 give-aways and otherwise looking lost... that's just average rookie stuff.

Jarnkrok is supposed to be the smartest guy on the team? He seemed like an average rookie too. Just sorta taking up space. No shots, no missed shots, no hits, no take-aways... If he hadn't helped Arvidsson deflect a puck off his belly, blocked 1 shot and taken (lost) 1 faceoff, he wouldn't show up on the score sheet other than for the 13mins of ice time he ate up.

Hodgson pleased me in ways I needed him to please me at least a little to keep my faith a while longer - he appears faster, got into board play, heck he even was pushing guys out of his goalie's crease, all awesome! But he also didn't have the good stuff I've known him for... that pass back on the 2nd goal was either off its mark to Jones or really off its mark to the guy in the high slot. Either way, it wasn't a typical Hodgson tape-to-tape sweet pass. His faceoffs were blah, not as rough as Fisher/Riberio, but still not good enough, and he often looked like he wasn't entirely sure what to expect of his linemates in the dzone. He had one almost sweet play in the ozone that coulda been a quasi break in from the high slot, but lost his footing (prob a skate issue as he then later flipped twice altogether, checked his boot, and signaled the bench for a chance while his wingers kept going).

All in, I saw the 3rd as fruity looking. Just three individual guys doing stuff without any click together, lookin' average as individuals and below average as a so-called "top 9" trio. Which probably explains their rather limited ice-time.

Oh, and I dunno if PL typically runs the 3rd at 10-11 mins, and nor do I know if that's a good benchmark for Arvidsson and Jarnkrok, but for Hodgson, it's not gonna be enough to let him perform at his peak. ES, PP or PK, doesn't matter, but he's the type who will need more ice, at least 14-15 mins to be hitting his prime. Everyone's got their optimal range, I think that's his. Dunno about the other guys though.

Yeah, total fruity 3rd line. Hope it's changed very quickly.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I just got home from the game. I noticed I was frustrated with Hodgson a few times just judging by the way he appears to "float" out there. This isn't in a smooth way. ..I'm talking about in a lazy way. Is that just the way he looks?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I just got home from the game. I noticed I was frustrated with Hodgson a few times just judging by the way he appears to "float" out there. This isn't in a smooth way. ..I'm talking about in a lazy way. Is that just the way he looks?

I think part of it is the way he looks, yup. Another part could be that he appeared rather uncertain what to expect of his linemates, esp. in the d-zone. Having followed him for a few years, I was actually looking to see improved speed and more of a physical game, and both elements appeared improved. I'm cautiously optimistic there's more "ump" in both respects to come once he gets comfortable with the linemates.

That said, I haven't any doubt you're gonna have lots of those frustrating moments where he appears to be floating - that's just part of his style. He's more the cerebral rather than heart-on-sleeve type. So like, think a Henrik Sedin as opposed to a Kesler. He's not "soft" and if he's fixed his stride over the summer then his speed should be back to 'bout average, but he's never gonna wow you looking like he's driven ;-)

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think part of it is the way he looks, yup. Another part could be that he appeared rather uncertain what to expect of his linemates, esp. in the d-zone. Having followed him for a few years, I was actually looking to see improved speed and more of a physical game, and both elements appeared improved. I'm cautiously optimistic there's more "ump" in both respects to come once he gets comfortable with the linemates.

That said, I haven't any doubt you're gonna have lots of those frustrating moments where he appears to be floating - that's just part of his style. He's more the cerebral rather than heart-on-sleeve type. So like, think a Henrik Sedin as opposed to a Kesler. He's not "soft" and if he's fixed his stride over the summer then his speed should be back to 'bout average, but he's never gonna wow you looking like he's driven ;-)

I suspect he will be the target of many then. I'm not sure how that presentation will line up with this fan base.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They came out in the 1st period ready to compete and win, which was good to see. They withdrew after that, which wasn't. It's also disconcerting that this wasn't a very good opponent that gave them so much trouble for much of the game. A better team would've made the Preds pay with more than one flukey goal. Still, it's only the first game of the season and they have some time to work on the bad habits before playing one of the really good teams. It also helps to get two points out of games where you're still working on things, of course.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
All I know for sure is we didn't blow them out so we probably suck.

Yeah, it sure isn't taking long for the board to round into its usual form, is it?? A whole lot of overreacting already. People, its one game. A game THAT WE WON. May be time to dig out a famous Aaron Rodgers quote...............

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't have an issue with people breaking down games, but feels like some of yall are expecting way too much, especially from the 3rd that was gonna be shakey to begin with.

Hodgson was out most of camp, which means not only has he not seen much play time, but almost zero time with his line mates. Arvidsson is a rookie, and Jarnkrok has been moved to wing. If you were expecting a top notch looking line tonight, your expectations were way too high.

Maybe I've gotten used to it, but the first couple of weeks is all about finding your legs and hoping Pekka is on so you steal some.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't have an issue with people breaking down games, but feels like some of yall are expecting way too much, especially from the 3rd that was gonna be shakey to begin with.

Hodgson was out most of camp, which means not only has he not seen much play time, but almost zero time with his line mates. Arvidsson is a rookie, and Jarnkrok has been moved to wing. If you were expecting a top notch looking line tonight, your expectations were way too high.

Maybe I've gotten used to it, but the first couple of weeks is all about finding your legs and hoping Pekka is on so you steal some.

The bolded above is 100% on the money- you took the words right out of my mouth. To be judging and making all kind of absolutes after ONE game is just silly....

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I suspect he will be the target of many then. I'm not sure how that presentation will line up with this fan base.

lol. I count myself as part of Hodgson's "fan base", totally loyal for sure too. It's just to be legit, blinders off, etc., ya kinda gotta bow the head and suck it up that the kid's got issues.

I've watched/followed him since his Vancouver days, and really do see him as a Henrik Sedin type - just without a twin brother locked at the hip to do the closing, and his natural development trajectory trashed after a lost year to the misdiagnosed/mismanaged back injury (slowed his average speed too, and I *believe* left him shy of playing more physical, dunno, just guessing, cuz his game sure weakened after that).

Still, like Henrik, Hodgson ain't "soft", but rather strong on his skates (in board play, protecting the puck, etc.), has awesome vision, total natural playmaker, very cerebral, sound positioning (when comfortable/knowing his linemates), a wicked shot from the half boards or high slot, and very soft, patient hands in tight. Until last year, Hodgson was neck 'n neck or better than Henrik in all offensive and defensive stats (compared to Henrik at the same age).

But there's a reason it took Henrik and his bro a good 5-6 years into the league before locals in Vancouver entirely stopped calling them the "sisters" - it's a style of play that doesn't inspire ra-ra love 'n adoration for heart-on-sleeve play.

Hodgson has the added disadvantage of no twin bro to have lifelong offensive chemistry with and a trashed rep after the Vancouver trade fiasco, then being plugged in over his head as 1C in a bottom dwelling Buffalo, and finally the coach's primary doghouse dweller. The kid can't afford to be Henrik 2.0. He's gotta magically conjure up some Kesler, Iginla, Bertuzzi, (Evander) Kane, Ladd, heck even some John Scott would help the kid!

Otherwise, even Hodgson's fan base will continue to cringe, grimace, and just wish to gawd the kid would at least try to LOOK on the outside half of what's gotta be on the inside to have made it to the NHL.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
The bolded above is 100% on the money- you took the words right out of my mouth. To be judging and making all kind of absolutes after ONE game is just silly....

If you're taking about me being silly re: just one game and judging Hodgson (harshly) too quickly, point taken. But then I've been following the kid for 4+ years, so it's not just one game to me.

The trio's limited time together is a factor sure, already flagged btw. Also, a rookie, a newly converted wing, and a project returning from off-season of training that fundamentally changed his skating = 3 individuals with "reasons" for not performing at even individual peak, much less as an effective trio.

Nevertheless, the 3rd line did not as a whole perform well tonight. They just didn't, period. And I'm not optimistic they will click going forward either. If that sounds silly, or too harsh too soon, okay. That's still my take though.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
Just as last year I am a big advocate of Colin Wilson. The Wilson-Fisher-Smith line looked impressive. Especially the speed of Colin on the rush. If things go well for that line and they get a good chemistry going it will be strong for the team.

The first line and the defense looked great, putting pressure on the Canes most of the night.

The second period wasn't great but, it was even. At least they didn't give up a goal til the final moments of the game. Just like most teams in Tennessee. I feel we get out ahead and don't hold the lead. If our teams could learn to push through a game instead of taking a more conservative style when we get the lead. Then we will be set.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Which brings me to the PP... I mean, it wasn't bad, generated chances, sure, but I'm not referring to that last PP in the 3rd where they might have tried to close the deal and couldn't even seem to set up. Scary.

You must have previously watched teams with deadly PP's.

Our PP actually looked much better than last year. Lots of really good chances. Sure, the last PP was a crapfest, but better teams than us have PP's without a shot.

On another note, I thought Willie Daunic did a solid job on the play-by-play. Better than I expected.

Biggest win of the night - Stu made it through the night without saying "grade A scoring chance."

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Happy with two points.

This is the same record from last season looked pretty good for the first 10 minutes, actually dangerous. After that meh. Of the three goals Smiths was the only one I consider close to a hockey play. Shame Pekka could not hold on to the shutout.

Predators were clearly the better team but still managed to get out played in the 2nd and 3rd. Nothing new here but its gotta change right? But them again I guess im the only one that got a sick feeling after the Canes or(Webers skate goal). Just kept waiting on that pressure to crack them but they held on. Carolina is not a very good team.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
You must have previously watched teams with deadly PP's.

:laugh: Nah, total opposite in fact. You see, I'm desperate to see "awesome". Awesome across the board, PP, PK, ES. Anything and everything. And not merely desperate because hockey has been off for so long over the summer that my thumbs hurt with all the natural seasonal twiddling. But extra desperate because the last two seasons I was primarily watching the Sabres.

Really, truly, try spending two years watching the NHL's bottom dwelling power play then switch focus onto a team which reportedly actually plays offense and tell me you don't end up drooling with anticipation for three summer months, desperately waiting to see a power play that at least resembles a power play!

My expectations may have been too high. ;)

Our PP actually looked much better than last year. Lots of really good chances. Sure, the last PP was a crapfest, but better teams than us have PP's without a shot.

True. True. I'll calm down about the power play. Got two days to get over the last two years and calm...

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If you're taking about me being silly re: just one game and judging Hodgson (harshly) too quickly, point taken. But then I've been following the kid for 4+ years, so it's not just one game to me.

The trio's limited time together is a factor sure, already flagged btw. Also, a rookie, a newly converted wing, and a project returning from off-season of training that fundamentally changed his skating = 3 individuals with "reasons" for not performing at even individual peak, much less as an effective trio.

Nevertheless, the 3rd line did not as a whole perform well tonight. They just didn't, period. And I'm not optimistic they will click going forward either. If that sounds silly, or too harsh too soon, okay. That's still my take though.

He did about what I expected, I was surprised late in the game he took a couple shifts in Fishers place though. Maybe PL's feeling the water to move Fish down to 3rd I dunno just one game. But who ever asked about CoHo floating yes that's what the guy does he was labled as lazy for it in Buffalo too.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
:laugh: Nah, total opposite in fact. You see, I'm desperate to see "awesome". Awesome across the board, PP, PK, ES. Anything and everything. And not merely desperate because hockey has been off for so long over the summer that my thumbs hurt with all the natural seasonal twiddling. But extra desperate because the last two seasons I was primarily watching the Sabres.

Really, truly, try spending two years watching the NHL's bottom dwelling power play then switch focus onto a team which reportedly actually plays offense and tell me you don't end up drooling with anticipation for three summer months, desperately waiting to see a power play that at least resembles a power play!

My expectations may have been too high. ;)

True. True. I'll calm down about the power play. Got two days to get over the last two years and calm...

Did you happen to catch the Sabres game? The kids first was pure bliss. Kane had one called back that cost them going to OT probably.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
He did about what I expected, I was surprised late in the game he took a couple shifts in Fishers place though. Maybe PL's feeling the water to move Fish down to 3rd I dunno just one game. But who ever asked about CoHo floating yes that's what the guy does he was labled as lazy for it in Buffalo too.

You've watched Hodgson in the past - what did you think about his speed? Or getting physical with guys in his goalie's crease? Those were things I was hopeful to see improvement with (more would be nice, but it was just a first game back), and I did - my imagination? Otherwise he looked mostly uncertain what to expect with his new linemates.

Individually the trio seemed average, together less than inspiring.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
You've watched Hodgson in the past - what did you think about his speed? Or getting physical with guys in his goalie's crease? Those were things I was hopeful to see improvement with (more would be nice, but it was just a first game back), and I did - my imagination? Otherwise he looked mostly uncertain what to expect with his new linemates.

Individually the trio seemed average, together less than inspiring.

I agree they seemed average. Hodgson looked better than he did last year. I guess I would describe it as playing with a purpose rather than going thru the motions like last year in Buffalo where he had been beaten down for a long time. So yes his game is better. Was it better than when He was playing 1st line with talent around him no. He did go to the gritty areas last night something he needs to do to be effective. I think Lavi like what he saw or he would not have moved him up late in the game to see how he worked with Smith and Wilson. But its one game against a weak team we will have to see in a week when we hit the Pens, Blues, and the true contending teams. We will get a better idea then.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Did you happen to catch the Sabres game? The kids first was pure bliss. Kane had one called back that cost them going to OT probably.

Caught most of it (I run a trio of monitors/LCDs, so multiple games concurrently), but missed the goal live so had to catch the replay. Eichel is the real deal I think. Kane looked ready to become is own image. The big thing I took though was how the Sabres still have two very desperately weak wingers in Moulson (the floater) and Ennis (the toe tripping heart on sleeve). Fair enough to dump the goat Hodgson, but I'd be more worried about 31 year old Moulson's 4 years of NTC... I wish they could find a (reasonably explainable for the egos in play, lol) way to flip Moulson and Ennis to the 3rd, Gionta to the 4th, and let each of Girgensens, Larsson and Reinhart actually have a chance to demonstrate their respective ceilings.

Going back to the Preds - I finally saw/see what you mean re: Smith. Lottsa empty rush there. I can envision the rush of creating chances that end up magically fizzling. (PS: in the social scene, Raymond's gf presented as the "other half" of that type of couple whose party invites get lost in the mail, coincidence? lol).

I'm very hopeful PL's favourable commentary about the 3rd line tonight was empty good manners, soon to be followed up with some shuffling.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I agree they seemed average. Hodgson looked better than he did last year. I guess I would describe it as playing with a purpose rather than going thru the motions like last year in Buffalo where he had been beaten down for a long time. So yes his game is better. Was it better than when He was playing 1st line with talent around him no. He did go to the gritty areas last night something he needs to do to be effective. I think Lavi like what he saw or he would not have moved him up late in the game to see how he worked with Smith and Wilson. But its one game against a weak team we will have to see in a week when we hit the Pens, Blues, and the true contending teams. We will get a better idea then.

Thanks for your insights. And bonus - glad it wasn't my imagination. Really.

The kid's back issues (followed by being lulled from two years leading a bottom dweller in production that he could rely on his cerebral game?) played a big part in his speed and physical issues I think. Meaning I suspect it's more than being in a contract year for him - he did work on his core/root physical issues in the off season.

Re: the late 3rd shift (or two?) with Wilson & Smith... If he hadn't gotten that extra shift, he'd have ended up less than 10mins of ice time. As it is, his TOI was least among all fowards and defense. I wouldn't be so sure that he was "promoted" as a combo of his very limited usage to that point, possibly combined with the fact Fisher and Riberio struggled even more than Hodgson did in the dot. Dunno, just guessing, and guessing that extra shift(s) doesn't mean more than nothing.

All in, I agree - the last 8 of the first 10 games will be a big test. Of the individuals and the line compositions.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Caught most of it (I run a trio of monitors/LCDs, so multiple games concurrently), but missed the goal live so had to catch the replay. Eichel is the real deal I think. Kane looked ready to become is own image. The big thing I took though was how the Sabres still have two very desperately weak wingers in Moulson (the floater) and Ennis (the toe tripping heart on sleeve). Fair enough to dump the goat Hodgson, but I'd be more worried about 31 year old Moulson's 4 years of NTC... I wish they could find a (reasonably explainable for the egos in play, lol) way to flip Moulson and Ennis to the 3rd, Gionta to the 4th, and let each of Girgensens, Larsson and Reinhart actually have a chance to demonstrate their respective ceilings.

Going back to the Preds - I finally saw/see what you mean re: Smith. Lottsa empty rush there. I can envision the rush of creating chances that end up magically fizzling. (PS: in the social scene, Raymond's gf presented as the "other half" of that type of couple whose party invites get lost in the mail, coincidence? lol).

I'm very hopeful PL's favourable commentary about the 3rd line tonight was empty good manners, soon to be followed up with some shuffling.

IMO Gionta being out cost them the game you could tell the young guys were too loosy goosy and Gionta is a big influence with calming that down. The Sens are not a good team but there not terrible either so things will get better soon in Buffalo.

Your correct about Smith's empty rush's somehow some way they have got to get some consistency out of him. He did get a goal tonight which fluky or not added to get the win. I hope he gets hot for these first 10 games there sure gonna need it. No matter how bad I dislike him its team first always. Nobody mention much about Neal but he had a few smoking chances tonight hes gotta start to bury those also.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
IMO Gionta being out cost them the game you could tell the young guys were too loosy goosy and Gionta is a big influence with calming that down. The Sens are not a good team but there not terrible either so things will get better soon in Buffalo.

Your correct about Smith's empty rush's somehow some way they have got to get some consistency out of him. He did get a goal tonight which fluky or not added to get the win. I hope he gets hot for these first 10 games there sure gonna need it. No matter how bad I dislike him its team first always. Nobody mention much about Neal but he had a few smoking chances tonight hes gotta start to bury those also.

Re: Sabres, I don't see the need for Gionta the same way. If not for trying to find a way to slot in 4 yr NTC Moulson where his (far worse than Hodgson ever) floating game could be sheltered best, I'd readily slug Gionta to the 3rd. As it is, I think the Sabres need to look at Gionta on the 4th if only to leave room for Moulson's garbage contributions on the 3rd. But that's another story, another forum ;-)

I really truly very much was thankful to enjoy watching the Pred's entire top line. It was hard to keep track of where Forsberg and Neal ended and started. The entire trio was precisely what I'd expect of a genuine 1st line. Maybe that's why Neal didn't stand out to me so much to mention - he totally fit a 1st line I'll be glad to watch for the season.

It's the middle 3rd, in my (not so) humble opinion, which isn't going to fly over the harsh haul. Neither the 2nd or 3rd lines are SC winners (again, in my non-humble opinion and only based on 1 game of course), but I do think they contain elements of a legit middle six.. Fisher is wow to me! His dot issue tonight notwithstanding, he was wow, a treat to watch, a genuine two-way guy who plays it hard and physical, but smart too, nothing over the top, no hotdogging, yet he doesn't let up either (oh, how I wish Hodgson "looked" on the outside more like Fisher does), bounces pucks out... His effort deserves responding finish.

I don't presently understand why Wilson and Smith appear locked at the hip as a preference, but I've only had the benefit of watching them together for one game. There has to be something to keeping them together or PL wouldn't have done so thus far.

Guess I better really hope Hodgson takes to this team and warrants an extension on his contract, because regardless I've become attracted to the team - after just one game too ;-)

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Happy with two points.

This is the same record from last season looked pretty good for the first 10 minutes, actually dangerous. After that meh. Of the three goals Smiths was the only one I consider close to a hockey play. Shame Pekka could not hold on to the shutout.

Predators were clearly the better team but still managed to get out played in the 2nd and 3rd. Nothing new here but its gotta change right? But them again I guess im the only one that got a sick feeling after the Canes or(Webers skate goal). Just kept waiting on that pressure to crack them but they held on. Carolina is not a very good team.

I agree for the most part. The Canes are not a very good team, but they do have a lot of offensive talent. Taking the pressure off a team like that plays into their hands big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad