Line Combos: Opening night forward lines...whatcha got?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
people keep discussing this in the trade proposals thread which isn't really the place...figured I'd make a thread

What I'd like:
Beleskey-Krejci-Connolly
Marchy-Bergy-Hayes
Loui-Spooner-Pasta
Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin

That's *if* Kelly is still on the roster. I'd hate to keep him for 3 mil just to be a 4th liner, but with Paille gone I can see them thinking they need his PK ability more than ever. Anyway with this group healthy Talbot and Rinaldo should never see the ice but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one or both of them on the 4th line on opening night :shakehead

My logic on the top 9 is this:
Connolly belongs with Krejci. Best pure passer on the team and the best pure shooter. Beleskey can be the forechecker and go to the net and has enough finish to clean up chances the other two create.

Hayes I'm not sure I love with Marchand and Bergy because of the speed/skill difference, but maybe he can be a Recchi-esque net-front presence with those two. Both will have to adjust to playing with a shooter as opposed to a playmaker like Smith, but this seems like the best fit for Hayes. I guess you could swap Hayes with Connolly if needed, but I'd like to see what Krejci and Connolly can do together first.

Loui-Spooner-Pasta makes so much sense to me. Spooner and Pasta have great chemistry and Loui gets to be the defensive chaperone who will limit time spent in the D-zone and bat down pucks in the neutral zone to start the rush the other way. Also has more than enough skill to keep up with the kids. I could see this line being as effective as the Lucic-Spooner-Pasta line was but with less D-zone time and even more skill.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Loui - Krejci - Hayes
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Belesky - Spooner - Pasta
Talbot - Kelly - Rinaldo
Kemp/Ferlin

Fourth lines fluid. Kelly will probably be there the rest depends how camp goes.

Edit. For me, Belesky has the wheels to keep up with Spoons and Pasta on the third and gives that line a bit of jam. I think Loui and Krejci should be given the opportunity to play together, neither plays a real speed game and I think if there's chemistry they could compliment each other quite well. Hayes and Connolly are interchangeable but putting them on the right side of line mates who are defensively responsible could be beneficial.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I want Loui with Krejci so he's in the best position to get as many points he can. It would help the team and his value will be higher at the deadline when we trade him to a contender.

Loui-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergy-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta
Kelly-Joonas-Talbot/Rinaldo/Any Providence guy

4th line will most likely be a revolving door of players. Only Kelly has a spot until he's traded.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Loui - Krejci - Hayes
Talbot - Kelly - Rinaldo
Kemp/Ferlin

Fourth lines fluid. Kelly will probably be there the rest depends how camp goes.

Edit. For me, Belesky has the wheels to keep up with Spoons and Pasta on the third and gives that line a bit of jam. I think Loui and Krejci should be given the opportunity to play together, neither plays a real speed game and I think if there's chemistry they could compliment each other quite well. Hayes and Connolly are interchangeable but putting them on the right side of line mates who are defensively responsible could be beneficial.

This is exactly what I want, although I'd be fine with switching Hayes and Connolly. I mostly just want the 3 bigger guys (Beleskey, Hayes, Connolly) on 3 different lines. And I'd like to keep Spooner and Pastrnak together and Bergeron and Marchand together. That obviously pairs Loui with Krejci, which is also fine.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Beleskey - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Hayes
Eriksson - Spooner - Connolly
Talbot - Kelly - Rinaldo
Kampainnen

I think the LWs pan out like that. Beleskey as the Lucic replacement, Marchand where he's been the last several years, and Loui adding stability and defensive awareness for Spooner.

The RWs on the other hand are really a crap shoot. All depends on how camp goes for Pasta, Connolly and Hayes.

ska8ter8808

Jul 3, 2006
Massachusetts
people keep discussing this in the trade proposals thread which isn't really the place...figured I'd make a thread

What I'd like:
Beleskey-Krejci-Connolly
Marchy-Bergy-Hayes
Loui-Spooner-Pasta
Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin

That's *if* Kelly is still on the roster. I'd hate to keep him for 3 mil just to be a 4th liner, but with Paille gone I can see them thinking they need his PK ability more than ever. Anyway with this group healthy Talbot and Rinaldo should never see the ice but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one or both of them on the 4th line on opening night :shakehead

My logic on the top 9 is this:
Connolly belongs with Krejci. Best pure passer on the team and the best pure shooter. Beleskey can be the forechecker and go to the net and has enough finish to clean up chances the other two create.

Hayes I'm not sure I love with Marchand and Bergy because of the speed/skill difference, but maybe he can be a Recchi-esque net-front presence with those two. Both will have to adjust to playing with a shooter as opposed to a playmaker like Smith, but this seems like the best fit for Hayes. I guess you could swap Hayes with Connolly if needed, but I'd like to see what Krejci and Connolly can do together first.

Loui-Spooner-Pasta makes so much sense to me. Spooner and Pasta have great chemistry and Loui gets to be the defensive chaperone who will limit time spent in the D-zone and bat down pucks in the neutral zone to start the rush the other way. Also has more than enough skill to keep up with the kids. I could see this line being as effective as the Lucic-Spooner-Pasta line was but with less D-zone time and even more skill.

Your lines are the same as mine (not including 4th line, I think Rinaldo and Talbot will be playing over Ferlin.)

No one line is that much better than any of the other top 3, but I think they are basically all very good second lines.

Berg line is actually the best, but we always put Krejci on the "top" line.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
Loui - Krejci - Hayes
Talbot - Kelly - Rinaldo
Kemp/Ferlin

I like this except I would flip Hayes and Connolly. I like Connolly's shot with Krejci feeding him.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Eriksson-Krejci-Connolly/Pastrnak
Marchard-Bergeron-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pastrnak/Connelly
Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin

Eriksson deserves a real shot with Krejci now and some real minutes. And the team's best bet as a winger to put up 60+ points. If Connolly doesn't even mildly perform on the top line, think switching him with Pastrnak on the 3rd line is a good back up plan. Connolly should have no problem least being a 3rd liner with sheltered minutes. And Eriksson, Krejci, Pastrnak have a real shot at being a real #1 line. But personally would give Connolly the chance first to succeed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't like Loui - Krejci - Hayes, both Loui and Hayes make their living in front of the net. Don't see them on the same line. That means, in my book, if Loui is with Krejci, than so is Connolly or Pasta.

I think a big choice is whether you play Beleksey with the kids or with Krejci. He is defensively responsible, but not at the Loui level. Loui's D probably plays better with the kids. BUT, Loui doesn't bring muscle to help the kids. Tough call, but I think I would have to lean with Beleksey with the kids. BUT, I also think that Loui is done in Boston after this season. Like the player, not the fit. Which makes me wonder if CJ will try to get the Beleksey/Krejci chemistry going now...and given CJ's resistence to pairing Krejci with Loui in the past, in the end, I'm going to go with Beleksey as what will happen.

Now we have to figure out whether Hayes, Pasta or Connolly is with Krejci. When the team tried Krejci at C inbetween injuries, it was Pasta that was on the RW...of course Connolly wasn't on the team most of the year, but, when he was at the end of the year, it was still Pasta, but how much of that was Connolly's injury? I think that if you are going to play Beleksey with Krejci, you want a winger with grit with Loui and Spooner. I think that puts Connolly with Spooner (much like it was when they tried Krejci at C at the end of the year). Pasta, I think, will work way better with Krejci then Bergeron. So Pasta with Krejci.

As far as the 4th line. I don't think the Bruins gave up a 3rd for a 13th forward. And Kelly is obviously in. So Talbot/Kemp/Ferlin are fighting for the last 4th line spot and 13th forward. Ferlin has options, so he is down in the A. I'm going to give Kemp the edge in a hopeful way.

So...

Beleksey Krejci Pasta
Marchand Bergeron Hayes
Eriksson Spooner Connolly
Kelly Kemp Rinaldo
Talbot

When it comes down to it, I could certainly see Spooner and Krejci swapping wingers (and I would, but don't think CJ will), but I think those winger pairs is the way to go.

Last edited:

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Beleskey | Krejci | Pastrnak
Marchand | Bergeron | Connolly
Eriksson | Spooner | Hayes
Rinaldo | Talbot | Kemppainen

Every line has a nice combination of size, physicality and skill. Kemppainen is a wild card who can move up the lineup.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I 100% agree with OP's top 9, and for many of the reasons he listed. Krejci and Connolly's skill-sets should mesh well with Beleskey as the grinder on that line, Hayes to be the presence in front when Bergeron/Marchand do their work, and Eriksson to keep the kids in check.

The 4th line is where I think you're a bit off (although I know you said it's what you'd like to see). I just don't think there's any way that Rinaldo and Talbot will be sitting off the bat, especially considering it's Julien. Unfortunately, they didn't give up a 3rd for Rinaldo to be the 13th/14th forward. I'd like to see Kemppainen in particular in, but as of now, I'm expecting:

Rinaldo-Kelly-Talbot

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
What I believe we will see:

Eriksson/Krejci/Pastrnak
Marchand/Bergeron/Hayes
Belesky/Spooner/Connolly
Rinaldo/Kelly/Talbot

What I want to see, just to make things somewhat entertaining:

Eriksson/Krejci/Pastrnak
Marchand/Bergeron/Connolly
Belesky/Spooner/Griffith
Rinaldo/Khokhlachev/Hayes

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I 100% agree with OP's top 9, and for many of the reasons he listed.

The 4th line is where I think you're a bit off (although I know you said it's what you'd like to see). I just don't think there's any way that Rinaldo and Talbot will be sitting off the bat, especially considering it's Julien. Unfortunately, they didn't give up a 3rd for Rinaldo to be the 13th/14th forward. I'd like to see Kemppainen in particular in, but as of now, I'm expecting:

Rinaldo-Kelly-Talbot

Oh I disagree with this by a lot. If it were up to Julien Rinaldo would never see the ice. Kelly is one of his schmoopies, Ferlin actually seems like another guy Julien would love, puts in an honest game on the boards, smart kid probably adheres to system hockey well. Kemp about the same.

Neely/Sweeney are forcing Rinaldo on Julien, guy with no hockey IQ who takes himself out of position constantly to roll up hit totals and takes bad penalties. Doesn't sound like someone Julien would approve of at all.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Don't like Loui - Krejci - Hayes, both Loui and Hayes make their living in front of the net. Don't see them on the same line.

Fair enough, honestly can't say I know much about Hayes but that makes sense. Switch him and Connolly then from my lineup because Id be really curious to see what Beleskey could do with the kids to start the year, that line could be sheltered and could pile up points as a result.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Originally i wasn't sure if we should put Loui with Krejci or spooner and there were valid arguments for both, but after seeing Eriksson's GF/60 with krejci it's an obvious choice for me. Im also hoping Kelly is traded to make room for Franson or something else at the deadline, love Ya kells but we have better options on the third line and your cap hit is wasted on the fourth. Personally I would do;

Beleskey - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly (im not overly confident Connolly would work here and if he can even reach his potential but Id try him out and see if he sticks)
Hayes - Spooner - Pastrnak
Rinadlo/Ferlin - Kampeinnan - Talbot/Ferlin/Randall

Lots of moving parts and really way too early to tell. Pastrnak might make it impossible not to have him in the top 6, even though he has great chemistry with spoons and keeps that line ultra dangerous. Personally I could see a Ryder/Krejci/Wheeler like season out of that line where Hayes uses his big body to clear space and crash the net, and spooner/pasta use their speed and creativity to cause nightmares for the opponents defensive effort.

I also could see Hayes working out on Bergeron and Marchand's line and honestly that could be where he's best suited. So many things to watch for before we really know. But the above is what Id do and then go from there

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Loui-Krecjci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta
Kelly-Joonas-Ferlin

-I want to give Loui a real chance on the "1st line", with lot of playing time (afraid Clode will limit the "3rd line" a bit)
-I wouldn't put Hayes and Loui on the same line; both guys are known to go to the net
-I want to give Connolly the best chance to be successful, so he's on the "1st line" with Krejci feeding him
-That "3rd line" has speed and skills
-I really hope Ferlin grab a spot in training camp

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Originally i wasn't sure if we should put Loui with Krejci or spooner and there were valid arguments for both, but after seeing Eriksson's GF/60 with krejci it's an obvious choice for me. Im also hoping Kelly is traded to make room for Franson or something else at the deadline, love Ya kells but we have better options on the third line and your cap hit is wasted on the fourth. Personally I would do;

Beleskey - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly (im not overly confident Connolly would work here and if he can even reach his potential but Id try him out and see if he sticks)
Hayes - Spooner - Pastrnak
Rinadlo/Ferlin - Kampeinnan - Talbot/Ferlin/Randall

Lots of moving parts and really way too early to tell. Pastrnak might make it impossible not to have him in the top 6, even though he has great chemistry with spoons and keeps that line ultra dangerous. Personally I could see a Ryder/Krejci/Wheeler like season out of that line where Hayes uses his big body to clear space and crash the net, and spooner/pasta use their speed and creativity to cause nightmares for the opponents defensive effort.

I also could see Hayes working out on Bergeron and Marchand's line and honestly that could be where he's best suited. So many things to watch for before we really know. But the above is what Id do and then go from there

I like this.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Don't like Loui - Krejci - Hayes, both Loui and Hayes make their living in front of the net. Don't see them on the same line. That means, in my book, if Loui is with Krejci, than so is Connolly or Pasta.

Maybe I noticed different aspects of Louis game, but I wouldn't consider Loui a player that "makes their living in front of the net", but more of a cerebral player; where is Hayes is a big body, tough to move, crashing the net kind of player. Loui is much more adaptable to the players he's with.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Maybe I noticed different aspects of Louis game, but I wouldn't consider Loui a player that "makes their living in front of the net", but more of a cerebral player; where is Hayes is a big body, tough to move, crashing the net kind of player. Loui is much more adaptable to the players he's with.

prior to the acquisition of Beleskey and Hayes, Loui was our best and most willing guy in front of the net. It's not the only thing he does well obviously, but he does it better than anyone on the team. If you haven't noticed that then I think you need to watch him more closely (don't mean this as a smartass comment)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I think a big choice is whether you play Beleksey with the kids or with Krejci. He is defensively responsible, but not at the Loui level. Loui's D probably plays better with the kids. BUT, Loui doesn't bring muscle to help the kids. Tough call, but I think I would have to lean with Beleksey with the kids. BUT, I also think that Loui is done in Boston after this season. Like the player, not the fit. Which makes me wonder if CJ will try to get the Beleksey/Krejci chemistry going now...and given CJ's resistence to pairing Krejci with Loui in the past, in the end, I'm going to go with Beleksey as what will happen.

Now we have to figure out whether Hayes, Pasta or Connolly is with Krejci. When the team tried Krejci at C inbetween injuries, it was Pasta that was on the RW...of course Connolly wasn't on the team most of the year, but, when he was at the end of the year, it was still Pasta, but how much of that was Connolly's injury? I think that if you are going to play Beleksey with Krejci, you want a winger with grit with Loui and Spooner. I think that puts Connolly with Spooner (much like it was when they tried Krejci at C at the end of the year). Pasta, I think, will work way better with Krejci then Bergeron. So Pasta with Krejci.

As far as the 4th line. I don't think the Bruins gave up a 3rd for a 13th forward. And Kelly is obviously in. So Talbot/Kemp/Ferlin are fighting for the last 4th line spot and 13th forward. Ferlin has options, so he is down in the A. I'm going to give Kemp the edge in a hopeful way.

So...

Beleksey Krejci Pasta
Marchand Bergeron Hayes
Eriksson Spooner Connolly
Kelly Kemp Rinaldo
Talbot

When it comes down to it, I could certainly see Spooner and Krejci swapping wingers (and I would, but don't think CJ will), but I think those winger pairs is the way to go.

I'd say Spooner needs speed and Krecji not, I think if we give 2 slow wingers for Spooner then we'd be wasting his talent.

Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly
Eriksson-Krecji-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta
Kelly-Kemppainen-Rinaldo/Talbot

every line has size/toughness,
every line has someone who can shoot the puck,
and 3 strong 2way lines and then Spooner line is all speed, Beleskey's hits and offense, with those other 3 lines Julien can play them against bottom6 lines a lot and let them be magic offensively.

Also 3 fast/well skating lines and Krecji line plays Krecji style, with that talent they can definitely make it work.
Lou+Krecji, that IQ/passing/vision would be something and Hayes spends his days around the net.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
prior to the acquisition of Beleskey and Hayes, Loui was our best and most willing guy in front of the net. It's not the only thing he does well obviously, but he does it better than anyone on the team. If you haven't noticed that then I think you need to watch him more closely (don't mean this as a smartass comment)

Yeah this. I am willing to back up a bit on my "don't play Loui with Hayes" comment, just because I think Loui will do whatever the right thing to do is. With Kelly and Soda, it was be the net guy, but with Hayes on his line he would certainly find another way to be productive.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd say Spooner needs speed and Krecji not, I think if we give 2 slow wingers for Spooner then we'd be wasting his talent.

Eriksson-Krecji-Hayes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pasta
Kelly-Kemppainen-Rinaldo/Talbot

every line has size/toughness,
every line has someone who can shoot the puck,
and 3 strong 2way lines and then Spooner line is all speed and offense, with those other 3 lines Julien can play them against bottom6 lines a lot and let them be magic offensively.

Also 3 fast/well skating lines and Krecji line plays Krecji style, with that talent they can definitely make it work.
Lou+Krecji, that IQ/passing/vision would be something and Hayes spends his days around the net.

I hear you on speed with Spooner vs speed with Krejci.

As I said, I would prefer Eriksson/Connolly with Krejci, and Beleksey/Pasta with Spooner, just not sure if CJ will do that.

Don't see who the shooter is on Eriksson/Krejci/Hayes line is? Hayes had three fewer shots than Eriksson last season and if I have one complaint about Eriksson, its that he doesn't shoot. Don't see him as a Horton shooting guy, more like a Chara on the powerplay in front of the net type. I like that kind of garbage collector with Bergeron and Marchand more than with Krejci and Eriksson.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I'd like to see

Beleskey-Krejci-Loui
Hayes-Spooner-Pastrnak
Talbot-Kelly-Rinaldo/Ferlin

I think we'll see

Beleskey-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Hayes
Loui-Spooner-Pasta

Clode isn't going to leave Spooner and Pasta together with someone he doesn't know or trust (Hayes) who has a reputation for being a bit of a floater. He's going to want Loui there to offer defensive awareness.

I could also see

Beleskey-Krejci-Pasta
Marchand-Bergeron-Hayes
Hayes-Spooner-Connolly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad