GDT: Opening Night: Blues vs. Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
such a good confidence-building game for a couple of the guys with fragile personalities, like Stewart & Berglund. Honestly, if you had asked me which guys it was important to get off to a fast start, Stewie, Bergie and Tank would have been the 3 guys I'd have wanted to see get on the board...and they accounted for 5 goals. If those three guys can build off of last night's performance, the Blues should be in very good shape, because the rest of the team is going to get a lot of chances if teams have to focus on 25/21/91.

:handclap:

Can't wait for Monday.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Looks like Stewart can play in this system.

He looked fine. If he's going to play every game like he did last night, I don't want to see him traded. Now, we just have to see if his former streakiness goes away due to his buying into Hitch's system, and his staying in great shape.

Use the Schwartz*

Great game! Was a bit bittersweet for me as I had a hockey pool the other night, and the only Blues fan I've ever met in person was in attendence. So my inside track on some of our guys(Perron, Andy Mac, Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, etc.) was gone. Managed to grab Bergy though.

Tarasenko looked so awesome, hopefully he can keep up the play.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Tried headshotting Tarasenko while leaving his feet. Can't stand Tootoo, he is a classless player. The NHL doesn't need players like him.

The way I said it on another board was:

In Tootoo, we have a player who is, at any moment for no reason, perfectly willing to take the life of a fellow player on the ice. And we now have this player on a team that could literally get away with murder in this league.

Tootoo will end someone's season, possibly career, before his time is up in Detroit. And he'll maybe get a 2 minute minor for it.

Use the Schwartz*

I hope next week when we play them, Reaves is glued to TooToo all night and beats the **** out of him.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Some thoughts

Tarasenko and Schwartz both looked fine on defense, and especially backchecking. Frank had an awesome takeaway by someone lollygagging in the neutral zone for like 3 seconds. His explosive speed can come in handy in surprising players that way, I believe.

French Bashie was fine, holding their first line to what, 1 shot total? I kinda like this set up, honestly. Holding their first line to nothing and then having a superior 2nd, 3rd and 4th line. Obviously Oshie had a SHG, Backes had some solid opportunities but fanned on them, and Perron drew a penalty or two stickhandling(and had a few himself, though...).

Bergie was solid and obviously Stewart seems to be in amazing shape, with NO lack of effort from what I noticed. If they keep playing together I feel like Schwartz can be a catalyst for those two offensively. I think them as the "third line" playing against other teams third lines is better than them being the second, because we still need to see defensive consistency out of Schwartz and Stewart. Which brings us to....

Tarasteenald. Steen was great at center, and any doubt of him being able to properly play the position is out the window, for me. Obviously him forechecking as a winger would still be amazing, but McDonald and Frank looked like they got in a rhythm with some of their forechecking, both being a bit smaller and very quick, they can sneak up on players and use some solid stickwork to steal pucks and set someone up quickly or just take a shot.

Sobotka Nichol and Reaves were great as well. All three are just tenacious forecheckers, and Sobotka and Nichol are phenomenal in their own zone, with Reaves being sufficient. Reaves looked like he was wider than anyone on the team when he was standing in front of Howard, and had a tip that almost went in. As nice as it would be to have Langs/Dags play, I honestly wouldn't change this at all.

PK units were obviously fantastic and our PP being anchored by Petro and Shattenkirk works very well with a good forward at the other point.

Cole looked a little off for the first few minutes, but after that he was great, with that pass to Frank and a lot of bombs toward the net. If he can get any sort of accuracy on that I think it will be pretty dangerous. He handled his defensive responsibilities very well and I hope to see him continue playing regularly.

Jackman played VERY well, it looked like the extra rest from the lockout helped him out. It also looked like everyone was capable of moving the puck out, including Jackson.

Russell and Shattenkirk played similarly, in a good way. Pietrangelo was skating smoothly and passing through tiny holes. Polak still seems to be much faster than his size would indicate, and his shot that hit the glass sounded powerful. Him sticking up for Frank after Tootoo's jumping murder attempt was exactly what I expected and wanted to see. Shame the door wasn't opened.

Halak was sharp and only really had one quality attempt that I remember, and played it well.

Last edited:

Axe08

Mar 29, 2009
Missouri
Amazing how many breaks/ breakaways we had. Not sure if it was more a factor of Detroits defense playing bad or the blues out hustling/ better positioning.
Love seeing the blues smother the other team and limiting their shots. It really takes the other team out of the game.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
The way I said it on another board was:

In Tootoo, we have a player who is, at any moment for no reason, perfectly willing to take the life of a fellow player on the ice. And we now have this player on a team that could literally get away with murder in this league.

Tootoo will end someone's season, possibly career, before his time is up in Detroit. And he'll maybe get a 2 minute minor for it.

yeah he`s a dirty little punk but thats exactly what we have Reaves for, he should have taken onto Tootoo right after it

does anyone have a vid from this stuff?
couldn`t find it on yt

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Some thoughts

Tarasenko and Schwartz both looked fine on defense, and especially backchecking. Frank had an awesome takeaway by someone lollygagging in the neutral zone for like 3 seconds. His explosive speed can come in handy in surprising players that way, I believe.

French Bashie was fine, holding their first line to what, 1 shot total? I kinda like this set up, honestly. Holding their first line to nothing and then having a superior 2nd, 3rd and 4th line. Obviously Oshie had a SHG, Backes had some solid opportunities but fanned on them, and Perron drew a penalty or two stickhandling(and had a few himself, though...).

Bergie was solid and obviously Stewart seems to be in amazing shape, with NO lack of effort from what I noticed. If they keep playing together I feel like Schwartz can be a catalyst for those two offensively. I think them as the "third line" playing against other teams third lines is better than them being the second, because we still need to see defensive consistency out of Schwartz and Stewart. Which brings us to....

Tarasteenald. Steen was great at center, and any doubt of him being able to properly play the position is out the window, for me. Obviously him forechecking as a winger would still be amazing, but McDonald and Frank looked like they got in a rhythm with some of their forechecking, both being a bit smaller and very quick, they can sneak up on players and use some solid stickwork to steal pucks and set someone up quickly or just take a shot.

Sobotka Nichol and Reaves were great as well. All three are just tenacious forecheckers, and Sobotka and Nichol are phenomenal in their own zone, with Reaves being sufficient. Reaves looked like he was wider than anyone on the team when he was standing in front of Howard, and had a tip that almost went in. As nice as it would be to have Langs/Dags play, I honestly wouldn't change this at all.

PK units were obviously fantastic and our PP being anchored by Petro and Shattenkirk works very well with a good forward at the other point.

Cole looked a little off for the first few minutes, but after that he was great, with that pass to Frank and a lot of bombs toward the net. If he can get any sort of accuracy on that I think it will be pretty dangerous. He handled his defensive responsibilities very well and I hope to see him continue playing regularly.

Jackson played VERY well, it looked like the extra rest from the lockout helped him out. It also looked like everyone was capable of moving the puck out, including Jackson.

Russell and Shattenkirk played similarly, in a good way. Pietrangelo was skating smoothly and passing through tiny holes. Polak still seems to be much faster than his size would indicate, and his shot that hit the glass sounded powerful. Him sticking up for Frank after Tootoo's jumping murder attempt was exactly what I expected and wanted to see. Shame the door wasn't opened.

Halak was sharp and only really had one quality attempt that I remember, and played it well.

Steen was absolutely atrocious in the faceoff dot. He needs to work on that.

Who is Jackson? You mean Jackman?

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I felt bad when I saw that special on Tootoo and saw some of the stuff he's went through...Then he takes a run, jumps, and tries to headshot a star player at a meaningless time. Get his ass out of the league. The worst part? Some Detroit fans were happy about what he tried to do. We don't want to see Reaves do that to star players...But I guess some people just don't get it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
My thoughts on the first game:

- The Red Wings are going to be hard-pressed to make the playoffs. I think they won't. Their defense isn't good enough and I don't think they have the players on D to iron it out. The Blues played well, and during a regular game probably would have won 2-0. The Red Wings allowed multiple horrible breakaway opportunities that shouldn't have been there. And the Blues finished their chances. I'm excited about the win, but I think this also shows a vulnerable Detroit squad that wasn't ready for the season.

- Tarasenko with the beautiful goals. He has a hard shot, and I think he's in the ideal position with not too much pressure on him. Who wouldn't succeed on a line with Steen and McDonald?! This is going to be fun to watch.

- I can't express how much I dislike Tootoo as a hockey player. Charging Frank (and nicely timed duck to miss the contact), leaving his feet. I'm glad he got 10 minutes for it, but that's the kind of crap that injures players. If he'd connected, I bet it would have been a suspension. And it probably should be anyway.

- I found myself chuckling each time Colaiacovo got dinged. I like the guy, but when Polak shot the puck into his face it had a humorous side. I wonder how long until he's a whipping boy in Detroit.

- Backes: Played a physical game. His touch and his hands aren't quite there, but I was pleased with his overall game. His line did a great job shutting down Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

- Perron: Looks rusty. I think 3 penalties, none of which were good penalties. Had a lot of defensive responsibility this game, which is part of the reason he was less noticeable on the offensive end....but I still expect more from him.

- Oshie: See Backes. I think this line will produce more as the season goes on. Nice to see him receive that Pietro stretch pass so smoothly and then finish the chance on the SHG.

- Stewart: If he's a goal-scorer again, watch out league! They made a lot out of him losing 20 pounds, but man he was a lot quicker on the ice. Noticeably quicker. I think playing in Europe is paying dividends for him. If he becomes confident (and he looked it) I see him having a great season.

- Schwartz: Wasn't very noticeable on the ice, but that also means he played a good game defensively. The whole team did, as evidenced by the Detroit shot total, but this is what Schwartz needs to do as a rookie. The offensive game will come.

- Tarasenko: Not much more to say. I'm going to enjoy watching him in a Bluenote. The crowd loves him. Other teams are going to learn number 91 pretty fast.

- I expect big things out of that 3rd line. There aren't many teams that have a deep enough and good enough defense to address all 3 of the Blues top lines effectively. Heck, even the 4th line has some scoring threat. When D'Agostini and Langenbrunner are in there it will be even more. The fact that those two guys are the healthy scratches says a lot about this club. I expect guys to get games off and rotate in and out of the line-up pretty liberally as the games go by.

- Cole looked good with Pietro. But I think he'll show some ups and downs as almost any young defenseman will. Where does Wade Redden fit in this line-up? Nice problem to have.

- How many people wanted Tootoo to open that Polak Door. He ALMOST did.

- There are some guys with some rust. You can certainly tell a difference between the guys who have been playing and the ones who haven't. But that gap won't last long.

- Halak looks confident. If you watched the highlights around the league, you can tell not every goalie is ready for the season. I expect Elliott to come back down to earth a bit, but I bet Halak will have another top 10 goalie season.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Remember how the Blues would always make the playoffs and then Pronger departed and it was instant first overall pick? That's the void losing an all-timer on defense creates for your team. When Lidstrom missed some games last year toward the end of the season the Wings looked terrible. I'm not saying they'll be the worst team in the league this year, but I'd be fairly shocked if they made the playoffs.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
He is obviously better than he showed last night, but I'm not expecting anything better than 45% from him over the season.

That might be an issue. It isn't like Berglund or Backes are strong on the dot either.

At least we have Nichol.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
I though Shattenkirk played a strong game. He plays with poise and confidence but last night he seemed to have taken his game up a notch. He and Pie or so good.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I though Shattenkirk played a strong game. He plays with poise and confidence but last night he seemed to have taken his game up a notch. He and Pie or so good.

Cole played a strong game too. Really, we didn't have a bad player last night.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
That game couldn't have gone any better last night. It's gonna be a grind but the if they play that hungry and sharply on a regular basis it'll only be good things ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00