Open forward spots and who needs youth?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Hasn't it led to more success than anyone except Chicago and LA?

Why does this team have to win the Cup every year for people to be satisfied with the coach and GM? It's not easy.

Exactly! One cup, another final, and a presidents trophy in the last 4 years. That's pretty good.

Hey Ten Thousand Hours, you seem to have a firm grasp of whats going on with this team. What do you think happens with our Dmen? Bartkowski gone? Boychuk gone? McQuaid?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Those teams aren't picked to be in the mix to win the cup each year like the Bs have for the past 5 years. They can afford to screw around with their line ups. The Rangers are going to be much worse of this season imo. Too soft.

But because they've pencilled in guys who've never played an NHL game before they're clearly better off.

Hayes and DuClair look like they could become decent, even good NHL players, but just because they're on the roster doesn't make them a better team.

Fans love the "next best thing".

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
But because they've pencilled in guys who've never played an NHL game before they're clearly better off.

Hayes and DuClair look like they could become decent, even good NHL players, but just because they're on the roster doesn't make them a better team.

Very true. Dorsette, Boyle, & Pouliot were very important pieces for NY.

member 96824

And the Bruins are doing what exactly? I don't believe they're returning the same team to the ice either. They've got plenty of unknowns throughout the lineup.

Rangers added Dan Boyle, Lee Stempniak, Tanner Glass along with those rookies that are impressing at camp. Young guys look to have taken the "next step" and key deadline acquisitions like St. Louis and Klein will have full year of adjustment...or is it only our guys that need time to adjust?

Rangers are eastern conference champs until someone proves otherwise. They have earned that. That's not the "next best thing." That is a proven fact from last year.

member 96824

As will Hayes, Dan Boyle, Duclair if he sticks, Stempniak, and Tanner Glass.

We're talking about two 4th liners and a third line scrub they're replacing. We're not talking Lundqvist.

They've got the trophy, they are the team to beat. Just like when we had the trophy, we were.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It's silly to talk about the team to beat when it's barely October but on paper the Rangers definitely don't look better than last year. Weaker on the back end and down the middle. Stralman was incredible in the playoffs for them, an ancient Dan Boyle won't replicate what he pulled off. Brad Richards wasn't too great but they replaced him with nothing. And for a team with weak centre depth, Stepan breaking his fibula is a disaster. Pouliot was really, really good in that playoff run, I see no obvious replacement. They've brought in Malone and Stempniak to try. I'm not calling the Bruins the team to beat in the East but it's definitely grass is always greener to say the Rangers got better while the Bruins offseason was a disaster.

I don't think it's a stretch at all. Rangers got better.

Tough to call the Bruins' offseason a disaster. It was just stagnant when it was obvious changes were needed.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

And replaceable fringe players...they didn't lock em up with overpaid contracts and NTC's...

Basically anyone can give as much , if not more. They jumped on Moore, (Their Paille) and locked em up... Stempniak, Lombardi, and Glass will all give as much if not more, all at cheaper deals.

Funny, the Boyle thing with the Rangers is very similar to Chris Kelly IMO... we will see how that shakes out.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
As will Hayes, Dan Boyle, Duclair if he sticks, Stempniak, and Tanner Glass.

We're talking about two 4th liners and a third line scrub they're replacing. We're not talking Lundqvist.

They've got the trophy, they are the team to beat. Just like when we had the trophy, we were.

Since the Bs got bushwacked, they got to the final by default almost. Boyle, Stempniak, & Glass?! All three suck, Boyle I over the hill. Pouliot was huge for them last season, that's why he got a huge silly contract wit the oil.

Mr. Make-Believe

Since the Bs got bushwacked, they got to the final by default almost. Boyle, Stempniak, & Glass?! All three suck, Boyle I over the hill. Pouliot was huge for them last season, that's why he got a huge silly contract wit the oil.

Boyle and Stempniak both suck, but Benoit Pouliot is awesome sauce.

Nothing should surprise me anymore, but I find myself constantly surprised.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
And the Bruins are doing what exactly? I don't believe they're returning the same team to the ice either. They've got plenty of unknowns throughout the lineup.

Rangers added Dan Boyle, Lee Stempniak, Tanner Glass along with those rookies that are impressing at camp. Young guys look to have taken the "next step" and key deadline acquisitions like St. Louis and Klein will have full year of adjustment...or is it only our guys that need time to adjust?

Rangers are eastern conference champs until someone proves otherwise. They have earned that. That's not the "next best thing." That is a proven fact from last year.

Plenty? Iggy & Thornton?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Boyle and Stempniak both suck, but Benoit Pouliot is awesome sauce.

Nothing should surprise me anymore, but I find myself constantly surprised.

OK who had a better post season out of those three last year? Exactly. I don't care if Pouliot sucked for the Bs in the past. How old is D.Boyle? His wheels are falling off.

member 96824

You can't call Brian Boyle and Derek Dorsett huge players and then turn around and say Dan Boyle, Lee Stempniak, and Tanner Glass suck.

My attendance in this conversation is over. If the B's were eastern conference champs, had little turnover on the roster, and weren't being called favorites to win the east..you'd be screaming from the roof at them.

I want the B's to dethrone the Rangers badly, I don't like the Rangers one bit. But, in my opinion, that's who the bullseye is on...not the regular season champs.

Just like how in the west, everyone is looking at Chicago and LA, not the Ducks even though they were the regular season champs.

Good day.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Are those the only questions you think we have in the line up?

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Very respectfully. Very disagreeully(is that a word?:laugh:)

You said players. How many players have we dumped since last season? Oh yeah, forgot meszaros & Potter lol. Might be that Gagne &/or Fraser are the only new players to start the season.

member 96824

You said players. How many players have we dumped since last season? Oh yeah, forgot meszaros & Potter lol. Might be that Gagne &/or Fraser are the only new players to start the season.

Read what you bolded. I said "unknown's in the line up." You're the one that bolded it.

I'm out, this convo is pointless.

Mr. Make-Believe

Don't you know? Veteran guys like Iggy that score 30 and stick up and fight for teammates grow on trees...

Even just in terms of uncertainty though...

We don't know what's happening with one of the team's staples in the Merlot line.

We don't know who is taking over on the third line with our awesome center in Soderberg.

We don't know who is going to be the TOP line's RW. And even if Eriksson is in that slot, if he'll do what we need him to in that role.

We don't know what's happening with the blueline with all of the extra bodies there.

We haven't added in a single solitary attribute (speed, intimidation) that most agreed were opportunities for this team to improve.

We're still facing a deadly cap situation that allows for very little versatility through the season without divvying up a major piece of the lineup.

We still don't have a single RH shot on the right side of the ice.

And I'm sure others could add to this list. There is a LOT of uncertainty here and it goes beyond just the loss of a couple of players.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I don't think it's a stretch at all. Rangers got better.

Tough to call the Bruins' offseason a disaster. It was just stagnant when it was obvious changes were needed.

I tend to agree.

It's nice that Chiarelli (in his words) has been loyal to guys that brought the Cup to Boston...but it's time to move on from a few.

Campbell had broken leg in 2013 and is coming back from another injury....Kelly also had broken leg and back surgery.

That factored in with Gagne (hopefully not signed) and Eriksson and Bergeron are all major concussion concerns.

Campbell should be moved with a defenseman and/or prospect to bring in a RW.

The team needed changes and they haven't happened.

The loss of Iginla will hurt....there's no winger to play with Krejci. Smith is also a candidate for sophomore slump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad