Open forward spots and who needs youth?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
A 4th line with Paille and Kelly is already the best 4th line in the league. Campbell? meh. I'd move him if possible. Question is who would be a good fit for the right wing? Funny thing is Loui would probably work beautifully with Kelly. It'd be an expensive 4th line but it'd be the best by far! lots of lefties though.

Jared Knight.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thank you! Just popping for a moment looking for a place to post this, from the great and funny Sean McIndoe (aka Down Goes Brown):

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2014-15-nhl-preview-the-contenders/

Back to hiatusland. Cheers.

hi·a·tus
noun \hī-ˈā-təs\

: a period of time when something (such as an activity or program) is stopped

If you stop in and post, doesn't that mean you really never were on "haitus"?? Is this like the tree falling in the forest? :laugh:

That article was a good read, and it's always a good idea to see other people's perspectives on the B's.

The only part of it that concerns me is that he keeps talking about the B's being good now, but implies it won't last long. If that's the case, I start getting my youngsters who are going to have to carry more of the load in the next couple of years ready now, so that the team doesn't struggle as much when a guy like Z is gone.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What an amazing "problem" Chiarelli has.. Will be very interesting to see what he does for opening night!

FORWARDS

1a) David Krejci ($5.250m) - Bruins most important player. He guides the team every time he's on the ice.

1b) Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) - Bruins most important player. He drives the team every time he's on the ice.

3) Milan Lucic ($6.000m) - when he's on, he's unstoppable.

4) Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) - looks faster so far. An absolute beast of a 3rd line pivot.

5) Brad Marchand ($4.500m) - ball of hate will see a ton more PP time. Eager to see what he does with it.

6) Reilly Smith ($1.400m) - I think he'll thrive no matter what line he plays. He's got chemistry with Bergy and Soda. And the idea of him riding shotgun with Krejci is pretty intriguing also.

7) Loui Eriksson ($4.250m) - rough pre-season, but he's a veteran who knows how to play in this league. He'll get every opportunity to succeed, so it's up to him to bring the game he can play.

8) Chris Kelly ($3.000m) - looks in great shape. Quality player, quality character. Price tag is a little steep, but he's a reliable guy to have on the ice in any situations.

9) Daniel Paille ($1.300m) - one of the best 4th line players in the league. Not a bad 3rd line player either.

10) Matt Fraser ($0.625m) - I think he wins the first forward spot. Looks like he's working really hard out there and as long as he's doing that, good things will happen for him.

11) Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) - love this kid's creativity and speed. Definitely not perfect defensively, but it will come. Can tell he's working hard on it. He could be trade bait, but I would prefer to give him a shot.

12) Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) - I'm sure his game hasn't changed. When your PK unit can send out any of Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly, Campbell.. I'd say there's a very good chance you're a top 5 penalty killing teams.

13) Jordan Caron ($0.600m) - I wish they would just let him go, but he keeps hanging around. Gotta give credit when it's due, he's actually looked like a good utility player. Could Chiarelli really have been on to something he when called him the "best 13th forward in the NHL"?

14) Craig Cunningham ($0.600m) - very simple game and works hard. Definitely Claude Julien type of player. He'll probably get in some games this season to fill in for injuries.

15) Bobby Robins ($0.600m) - I can't wait to see this guy play again. It just feels like some action is going to happen every time he's on the ice. Bruins will definitely need his energy and "gumption" in certain games..

16) Seth Griffith ($0.759m) - feeling he will net a lot of goals with Providence this season.

17) Alexander Khokhlachev ($0.787m) - incredible skill. If he's willing to continue playing with Providence while getting bigger, stronger, he'll certainly be worth the wait. I would not object to moving him if the right player were available.

18) Justin Florek ($0.600m) - has taken a bit of a step back in my opinion but a good combo of skills and size. I think he would crack some NHL lineups easily.

??) Simon Gagne - I figure he'll get a contract. Hopefully it's for very low.

DEFENSEMEN

1a) Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) - plain and simple, he's the Captain.

1b) Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m) - plain and simple, he's the future. And he's already here..

3) Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m) - steady and reliable.

4) Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) - love his game. I'm feeling like he might get traded though.

5) Torey Krug ($1.400m) - I wonder if he might play like a top-4 guy this season.

6) Adam McQuaid ($1.567m) - another one of those type of players you need to win. Always willing to show an opponent who's boss.

7) Matt Bartkowski ($1.250m) - such a great skater... in my opinion he has a decent amount of value. Him + KoKo + 1st did fetch Iginla at the deadline a few years back.. What could a similar package get us this year?

8) Kevan Miller ($0.800m) - love his game. Easily a 3rd pairing guy on many teams. And he's 8th on the depth chart at a bargain price.

9) David Warsofsky ($0.600m) - with some reps, he should continue to get better. I think he could have a future in this league if he gets the opportunity.

Rhawk

Apr 5, 2014

I don't think he'll be great with the puck and I think he'll end up taking more penalties than will sometimes be tolerable. But he's a ****in' pinball wizard and his physical game would work wonders in certain games where the Bruins look lethargic. Those hating the idea of the "enforcer" or "goon"? What if we rolled Robins out there against the Habs in last year's playoffs, you think the team would have looked like the limp noodles they were? You think that the Canadiens would have made a mistake or two if they heard footsteps every time they went to play a loose puck along the boards?

Robins looks like pure energy out there. And his fists are just a bonus IMO.

Late responding, but I've been catching up on the thread.

I've followed Robins since his college days at Lowell, and I think what most Bruins fans are overlooking is the energy he brings. There's a reason his line in Providence was called the "buzzsaw" line; this guy brings it, every shift, every game.

How many games last season were Bruins's fans complaining about a total lack of energy? Robins is a skating shot-in-the-arm that can get the home crowd and the bench going when things start getting lazy. Are there going to be penalties along the way? Sure. But we're talking about a 4th line/extra forward spot here. Regardless of how the B's configure it, it's not going to be a sudden jump in goals scored. But it CAN be a hard nosed, hard hitting & relentless forechecking machine. That's what the Bruins need, and that's what Robins will bring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad