OOT Scoreboard 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Curious to why they don’t just go 4 each night in the first round but I guess maybe it has to do with prior commitments for the arena?

Tampa may have a harder time at the Cup than I intially thought. A potential round 2 opponent of the Bruins and then an Eastern finals with the Caps, followed by a Finals appearance vs whatever West team makes it (Preds, Blues, Vegas or a finals rematch against the Flames?)

Camille the Eel

Being way up in northern New England this week - on Matinicus Island - I’ve had occasion to catch major doses of the Boston media. Who are taking Toronto very lightly. They phrase it “putting the leafs out of their misery.” But I doubt it.

Anderson in goal for the Leafs is key. And whether their D can just block some shots. I expect them to circle the wagons around him. Anderson is very competitive and very good. If he can play to top form this is going to be a very tough series, I think.

Leafs in 7.

Camille the Eel

In fact I think almost all of these first round series will be very tough.

The exceptions being the Caps and Calgary and maybe Winnipeg who will move on more summarily.

But Tampa will have a far harder time with Columbus than they did with us last year. The Isles-Pitt again close and hard fought, particularly at the Coliseum. Dallas and Nashville could be a war between 2 big and heavy teams and Dallas has more skill. Vegas and the Sharks, maybe Vegas upsets, Fleury will probably be the difference.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pens>Isles>Vegas>CBJ

Anyone but those teams in that order. I'd definitely like to see Toronto bounced too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In fact I think almost all of these first round series will be very tough.

The exceptions being the Caps and Calgary and maybe Winnipeg who will move on more summarily.

But Tampa will have a far harder time with Columbus than they did with us last year. The Isles-Pitt again close and hard fought, particularly at the Coliseum. Dallas and Nashville could be a war between 2 big and heavy teams and Dallas has more skill. Vegas and the Sharks, maybe Vegas upsets, Fleury will probably be the difference.
Calgary's goaltending is even worse than the Sharks and they're almost definitely going to at least start with Mike Smith, so I don't see them having an easy go of it.

Winnipeg doesn't scare me at all this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nashville in 7
St. Louis in 6
Calgary in 5
Vegas in 7 (really torn on this one)

Tampa in 5
Boston in 7
Washington in 5
Pittsburgh in 6
I mostly agree with these (at least the winners) but I'll wait until Wednesday to make official predictions in some of them.

I'm undecided on Calgary winning their series (don't think it will be in 5) and how many games and not sure on St. Louis either, but I'm leaning towards them.

I'm probably going with the rest of your winners as my winners though, only maybe in a different number of games.

Martin Jones blows and Fleury owns him, but they did get Karlsson back and Fleury did not look good in the two games he came back to play after injury, so I'm hopeful the Sharks can edge them out, but I'm doubtful it will be in less than 7 games, 6 at the very least.

Pretty sure Boston takes down Toronto again, but I don't like their goaltending either. I'd play Halak over Rask, if I were them or at least give Rask a short leash. Halak has looked better both on paper and my eye test.

Carolina will be competitive, but I don't like Mrazek in a playoff series.

The Islanders will be competitive, but I don't see them winning either.

If Tampa needs more than 5 games to dispose of the CBJ and playoff mode Bobrovsky, it will be a disappointment.

Nashville probably edges out Dallas, but not super easily.

I'm leaning St. Louis over Winnipeg.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Camille the Eel

Thinking revised - that if it goes 7 Boston will win. Toronto will not win a game 7 in Boston. So if the Leafs are going to win, it would be in 6 at home. Yeah Boston probably wins this series unless Anderson stands on his head.

Maybe another way to analyze the playoffs is where is the potential for the upsets? Which series might be surprising. This one has some potential for that because the Leafs are so loaded with high end talent and have a goalie who can play to a high level. Can they regain their early season form? Also there’s the history with the Bruins. Taking the series to 7 last year; also three years back where they blew the three goal lead in the closing minutes of game 7. The Leafs have some serious recent playoff history with Boston. Maybe it’s their turn. And I do sense that Boston - at least the fans and media - are grossly over confident.

But then there’s Patrice Bergeron. How good is he.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think the St Louis/ Winnipeg series is the hardest 1st round series to predict.

Will the Jets really have this early of an exit? After that huge second half will it really all end with a 1st round defeat for the Blues?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Lightning in 6
Bruins in 6
Caps in 6
Flightless Birds in 6

Colorado in 6
Sharks in 6
Nashville in 6
Jets in 6

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wanna pick the Sharks too, but their goalie sucks. I’d only rank Calgary and Carolina behind them in goal, out of the current playoff teams.

And Dell behind Jones? He’s probably been worse this year than any of the other teams backups.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Since the devs are out, I have to root for the hometown islanders. Going to the coli wed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I will be doing a goals against review every night through the duration of the playoffs.

I expect that with the smaller sample size, the correlation between lower save percentages and more stoppable goals won't be as high as the regular season. And there were still some deviations between the lesser played goalies in the regular season. With backups like Dell and Korpisalo having a much lower percentage of goals stoppable than their save percentage would indicate. Vasilevskiy had a high percentage of goals I counted stoppable through just the first month of the season, before finishing with one of the lower percentages.

I'll reset the count to 0 for every playoff goalie to start, but I'll also combine it with their regular season count when the playoffs are over and see what I get.

Reactions: Dialamo

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still really not sure who to pick in that Colorado/Calgary series. I can’t really pick Colorado over Calgary, but I can’t pick Calgary over Colorado with that goaltending. Especially with Mike Smith likely starting.

Tampa over CBJ in 5
Pittsburgh over NYI in 7
Boston over Toronto in 7
Washington over Carolina in 7
St Louis over Winnipeg in 6
Nashville over Dallas in 6
Colorado over Calgary in 7
Vegas over San Jose in 7

It’s tough though. I think the only series winner that feels like a lock is Tampa in this round. Calgary and San Jose should both win, but have poor goaltending. Fleury didn’t look good in either of the two games after he came back though.

Boston has a poor goaltending situation, but not necessarily poor goaltending. Rask looks prone to an implosion his last several games.

Goaltending might keep Dallas alive longer than they should be.

Islanders and Canes will both be competitive, but I think both are just barely edged out.

Haven’t seen anything from Winnipeg in months that gives me confidence in them.

I wouldn’t be shocked or even surprised if San Jose or Calgary win their first round series, but I would be a bit surprised if it took less than 7 games.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Rooting hard against anyone in the East.

Lightning especially. Hope Columbus sweeps them (will never happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad