Ontario Reign 22-23 thread. Nothin' lasts forever, even cold November Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
this was the latest blurb i could find:

“I’ll be happy at some point to discuss some of those reasons. I don’t know what that point will be,” Wroblewski said. “But I’ll tell you, I’m in a great space. I’ve got a different outlook on life and where I want to be. And this is exactly where I’m supposed to be.”

guess there's about a million ways to read between the lines there but he's killing it with the women's national team
Yep. I saw that one, too.
And the women's team is doing awesome. I'm just curious. About something that, admittedly, is none of my business.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Contract is up. Take it with a grain of salt, in the last kings of the Podcast Mayor thought he might be back. But he also mentioned in could go to Chris Hajt and then though Tony Granato could be a candidate. So it does not appear he has any inside intel on this topic at his time.

I do agree. The kids don't seem to be thriving down there over the last few years. Seemed to be a bit of regression in a few guys this year. Nature vs Nurture. Is it we have shitty prospects or is it we have good prospects with shitty development?

It seems at the time of the drafts we are grabbing highly praised guys through the mainstream pundits and publications, but we have not seen that correlate into an on ice product.

Some peoples heads would spin if Granato ended up coaching Turcotte again. Lol

I think the other thing is equal parts the wrong picks and bad development. I think the prospects weren’t as good as advertised and the development philosophy of the organization is really bad, especially for top guys. A player drafted as high as QB very rarely sees any time in the AHL (especially a forward). In another organization QB probably sees zero AHL games, in this one he sees 60, almost a seasons worth of games and makes almost no impact three years in. He probably wasn’t good enough to go as high as he did but the Kings didn’t help things. Identical situation with Turcotte overdrafted and then poorly developed. I’m just really hoping Clarke blows them away at camp in September and avoids the curse of playing for the Reign.

Reactions: funky

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Some peoples heads would spin if Granato ended up coaching Turcotte again. Lol

I think the other thing is equal parts the wrong picks and bad development. I think the prospects weren’t as good as advertised and the development philosophy of the organization is really bad, especially for top guys. A player drafted as high as QB very rarely sees any time in the AHL (especially a forward). In another organization QB probably sees zero AHL games, in this one he sees 60, almost a seasons worth of games and makes almost no impact three years in. He probably wasn’t good enough to go as high as he did but the Kings didn’t help things. Identical situation with Turcotte overdrafted and then poorly developed. I’m just really hoping Clarke blows them away at camp in September and avoids the curse of playing for the Reign.
It is pretty wild looking at Blake picks that have played in Ontario. Are Anderson and Kaliyev the best ones with "significant" time in the AHL so far? And I say that in quotes because Anderson got 53 games and Kaliyev got 40.

Of course, Mikey stayed in college for two seasons and we know how you think about that :)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It is pretty wild looking at Blake picks that have played in Ontario. Are Anderson and Kaliyev the best ones with "significant" time in the AHL so far? And I say that in quotes because Anderson got 53 games and Kaliyev got 40.

Of course, Mikey stayed in college for two seasons and we know how you think about that :)

Anderson was the best developed Kings prospect because he was traditionally handled. You would think the organization would look at the results of how Anderson developed as a mid round pick vs the results of how Byfield and Turcotte were untraditionally handled and would maybe come to the realization that their attempts to re-invent the wheel when it comes to prospect development are fundamentally flawed. But since the rumors are they plan to have Clarke down there (and didn't keep him up in the NHL this year) it seems they continue to believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

I'm worried Clarke's ceiling is going to be damaged and even more worried that he is going to fall victim to cheap shots down there. Both because of how good he is, and because of the prick style he plays.

Man, do I wish the Kings got the type of media coverage that other teams in town did, it sure would be nice if anyone actually bothered to ask these guys simple questions about why they do what they do with young players. The awful decision to pull Turcotte happened 3 years ago, since then the results have been about as poor as anyone could possibly have imagined, and I don't know if I ever remember anyone in the media asking Rob Blake anything about it (or the Byfield one). Sure must be nice to have such little accountability from the local media.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Is there any hope of Lias Andersson ever becoming a regular NHLr?

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Is there any hope of Lias Andersson ever becoming a regular NHLr?

Extremely doubtful with LA. Maybe on a team that is an early stage rebuild. Looks to be a AAAA style player; great in the AHL but can't make the big leagues.

Reactions: EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Extremely doubtful with LA. Maybe on a team that is an early stage rebuild. Looks to be a AAAA style player; great in the AHL but can't make the big leagues.
Never understood why he was drafted 7oa.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Never understood why he was drafted 7oa.

He had some really good traits and many ranked him ahead of Petterson from Vancouver.

My personal take is development is a lot more valued than the talent of the 18/19 year old drafted. New York Rangers have an abysmal track record recently when it comes to forward prospects. Laf, Kakko, Andersson. That's worse than LA with Turcotte and Byfield, as much as we complain about it.

Two peas in a terrible development pod. Woe is us.

But for Andersson, watch him go to Tampa bay and thrive.

Reactions: EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He had some really good traits and many ranked him ahead of Petterson from Vancouver.

My personal take is development is a lot more valued than the talent of the 18/19 year old drafted. New York Rangers have an abysmal track record recently when it comes to forward prospects. Laf, Kakko, Andersson. That's worse than LA with Turcotte and Byfield, as much as we complain about it.

Two peas in a terrible development pod. Woe is us.

But for Andersson, watch him go to Tampa bay and thrive.
I guess you’re right about that. He had good stats in the SHL before getting drafted, and really good in his d+1 season but he was thrown into the NHL midseason when he was thriving in the SHL. Which is such a weird move you don’t fix something that’s not broken.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I guess you’re right about that. He had good stats in the SHL before getting drafted, and really good in his d+1 season but he was thrown into the NHL midseason when he was thriving in the SHL. Which is such a weird move you don’t fix something that’s not broken.

He's interesting to me still but he's just woefully inconsistent. Absolutely lethal within 15 ft of the net, should really try to be a netfront menace. Often great on the walls and in puck protection, but when he's not on his game, it's just soft turnovers everywhere and he is absolutely worthless outside of the offensive zone.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He's interesting to me still but he's just woefully inconsistent. Absolutely lethal within 15 ft of the net, should really try to be a netfront menace. Often great on the walls and in puck protection, but when he's not on his game, it's just soft turnovers everywhere and he is absolutely worthless outside of the offensive zone.
Definitely a ‘what if’ player. I like how he’s been a leader in the AHL though, he’s not pouted and has show accusations about his character are BS. I hope he finds a lottery team to play regularly on and perhaps he can get himself a reasonable career.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Definitely a ‘what if’ player. I like how he’s been a leader in the AHL though, he’s not pouted and has show accusations about his character are BS. I hope he finds a lottery team to play regularly on and perhaps he can get himself a reasonable career.

Honestly, after watching him in ONT for a few seasons and his short stints with LA, if he brought what he's capable of more consistently, he could have an NHL career. Of course that is easier said than done, but he has the tools and skills to make it in a bottom 6 role.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Watched bit and pieces yesterday...

Turcotte looked solid but didnt get to to see enough of Krygier- anyone watch yesterday enough to give a scouting report?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It absolutely was not a bad pick. A combination of bad luck with injuries and maybe rushing him out of college? Yes. Bad pick? Not even close.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
It absolutely was not a bad pick. A combination of bad luck with injuries and maybe rushing him out of college? Yes. Bad pick? Not even close.
And yet if he has a Vilardi type return, what do we think right? I mean, when healthy the kid is a leader, game changer, culture changer.. the way the Reign looked with him vs without him tells me his impact goes beyond the stat sheet and even then he ain’t doing to shabby… when healthy of course

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I guess it’s easy to spin excuses about why a pick isn’t bad into a long, easy discussion. But it’s a short statement at best to say the Turcotte pick isn’t great in hindsight. What I don’t understand is why is hindsight not a factor when it comes to high picks? Are these guys the top paid in the world at their jobs for a reason or not?

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I guess it’s easy to spin excuses about why a pick isn’t bad into a long, easy discussion. But it’s a short statement at best to say the Turcotte pick isn’t great in hindsight. What I don’t understand is why is hindsight not a factor when it comes to high picks? Are these guys the top paid in the world at their jobs for a reason or not?
Just as a school grading system you get a letter grade or you get an Inc. for incomplete, if it is not fair to assign a grade yet.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign could potentially field a roster this season filled entirely with NHL contracts. First time I believe. Kings really loaded up on veteran players that have seen some NHL time to go with the younger prospects.
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 11-44-33 Edit Kings organization - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad