Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection Mock Draft 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
We knew about Drysdale, but it wasnt just Flint he wouldn't report to. We are not sure of the truth to rumors, but there has been someone who has said a ECHL franchise would like to come to Flint so that Rolr Nilsen's son had a place to play next year. Either way, it will not affect who flint selects.

How does turmoil not impact where a kid goes?
Trust me, we lived it just recently in Erie. When they were winning 15-25 games a year, they couldn’t get much of anyone to report. Rumors of them leaving Erie were also an ongoing thing every single year until about 2014.

It definitely impacts a kids decision. Right now Flint is definitely in the worst position of any team in terms of getting people to report. It’s a problem that easily could impact who they take at 2 and trickle down to the rest of the first round

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
How does turmoil not impact where a kid goes?
Trust me, we lived it just recently in Erie. When they were winning 15-25 games a year, they couldn’t get much of anyone to report. Rumors of them leaving Erie were also an ongoing thing every single year until about 2014.

It definitely impacts a kids decision. Right now Flint is definitely in the worst position of any team in terms of getting people to report. It’s a problem that easily could impact who they take at 2 and trickle down to the rest of the first round
We know as well. Flint will NOT draft a 20th ranked player because he will report! Instead, they will take one of the top several picks and either keep and trade for additional pick(s), or convince the kid to report, which is the right decision!

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Flint could be yet again in trouble with players reporting.
I have no inside info on that but do know that Drysdale said no to them last year. Assuming others did too.

I also don’t know if they are but rumors are wild about flint possibly selling/relocating. This could be total smoke show but rumors are still rumors and players might be turned off by that.

So yes flint holds the cards. But they would have been much mucchhh better served to stay at 1 overall and have Wright land in their lap. Let’s say Erie really wants player X. They tell that to player X. That player then tells flint he doesn’t want to go or won’t report. Not saying it will happen but it’s way more likely to happen with Flint at 2 than if, say, Kingston were picking at 2

I would think the Flint relocation/sale would be a motivator for the players to sign, not a deterrent.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I would think the Flint relocation/sale would be a motivator for the players to sign, not a deterrent.

I disagree. Not when you have zero clue who the next city is or what the heck is happening. If anything it just adds to the “wow this place is a mess”

Also tell that to Erie fans when they had rumors of sale/relocation.. did that help them sign guys? Not even close.....

It either would deter guys or make no difference to them. It would certainly not motivate them to sign unless the sale was pending and already happening. These are just rumors though. Which speak to the current mess

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Cannot comment on Erie’s former situation, except to say they came out of it pretty darn good. I think Flint will be fine and we may even draft a player who Erie wants. He will either report to Flint or get traded for a number of picks. If you call that a mess so be it. When Ryan McLeod did not report to Flint three or four years ago as the #1 pick, it had nothing to do with the owner, the water, or the city. He simply wanted to play with his brother In Mississauga. You just never know.

Reactions: dirty12

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
1- KGN - Shane Wright (Don Mills Flyers)

2- FLNT - Brandt Clarke (Don Mills Flyers)

3 - ERI - Brennan Othmann (Don Mills Flyers)

4- BAR - Mason McTavish (Pembroke Lumber Kings)

5- PTBO - Connor Lockhart (Kanata Lasers) *(Comp for Cuylle)

6- WSR - Brett Harrison (London Jr. Knights)

7- SAR - Francesco Pinelli (Toronto Red Wings)

8- NBAY - Stuart Rulofs (Kanata Lasers)

9- HAM - Liam Arnsby (Don Mullen Flyers)

10- OS - Fransesco Arcuri (Don Mills Flyers)

11- PTBO - Artem Guryev (Toronto Marlboros)

12- MISS - Brendan Sirizotti (Whitby Wildcats)

13- KIT - Ethan Del Mastro (Toronto Marlies

14- GUE - Maddox Callens (Brantford 99ers)

15- OSH - Daniil Zhilkin (Toronto Marlies)

16- SBY - Brendan Kressler (Mississauga Sens)

17- SSM - Deni Goure

18- NIA - *lost pick due to sanctions*

19- SAG - Colby Saginuk (Pittsburgh Penguins Elite)

20- LDN - Josh Bloom (Toronto Nats)

21-OTT - Isaac Enright (Pembroke Lumber Kings)

Then Petes take Ryan Winterton at 22.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
1- KGN - Shane Wright (Don Mills Flyers)

2- FLNT - Brandt Clarke (Don Mills Flyers)

3 - ERI - Brennan Othmann (Don Mills Flyers)

4- BAR - Mason McTavish (Pembroke Lumber Kings)

5- PTBO - Connor Lockhart (Kanata Lasers) *(Comp for Cuylle)

6- WSR - Brett Harrison (London Jr. Knights)

7- SAR - Francesco Pinelli (Toronto Red Wings)

8- NBAY - Stuart Rulofs (Kanata Lasers)

9- HAM - Liam Arnsby (Don Mullen Flyers)

10- OS - Fransesco Arcuri (Don Mills Flyers)

11- PTBO - Artem Guryev (Toronto Marlboros)

12- MISS - Brendan Sirizotti (Whitby Wildcats)

13- KIT - Ethan Del Mastro (Toronto Marlies

14- GUE - Maddox Callens (Brantford 99ers)

15- OSH - Daniil Zhilkin (Toronto Marlies)

16- SBY - Brendan Kressler (Mississauga Sens)

17- SSM - Deni Goure

18- NIA - *lost pick due to sanctions*

19- SAG - Colby Saginuk (Pittsburgh Penguins Elite)

20- LDN - Josh Bloom (Toronto Nats)

21-OTT - Isaac Enright (Pembroke Lumber Kings)

Then Petes take Ryan Winterton at 22.

That would certainly be a nice haul for the Petes!
Again though, doubt the Knights take a forward there. Might take a flyer on Schmidt, or take a safer pick like Hipkin.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Can’t see Pastujov coming to the OHL

Likely not, but honestly, his brothers were both highly touted prospects in their own right and unfortunately the NCAA route did not seem to be best for either of their development. I’d hope that Sasha would at least consider the possibility of the OHL offering something developmentally that his brothers missed out on.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Likely not, but honestly, his brothers were both highly touted prospects in their own right and unfortunately the NCAA route did not seem to be best for either of their development. I’d hope that Sasha would at least consider the possibility of the OHL offering something developmentally that his brothers missed out on.

Maybe. Just seeing what he posts on twitter, every tweet and RT seems to be about ncaa and Notre Dame

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Their development is doing just fine and getting a top notch education to boot...same will go for their brother if he sticks with Notre Dame

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Team isn’t going anywhere soon

I hope the team stays. Best uniforms in the league IMO. Great location, really helps travel in the West. From what I've seen, good fans, especially the ones on this board.

I just hope they can resolve the ownership issue, get the league out from underneath that team and get real professionals in there that can start building a franchise rather than keep it on life support.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I hope the team stays. Best uniforms in the league IMO. Great location, really helps travel in the West. From what I've seen, good fans, especially the ones on this board.

I just hope they can resolve the ownership issue, get the league out from underneath that team and get real professionals in there that can start building a franchise rather than keep it on life support.
I think it will happen

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Their development is doing just fine and getting a top notch education to boot...same will go for their brother if he sticks with Notre Dame

Ok.....shrug.......

Like I said, the older brothers were thought of quite highly in OHL draft discussions. Nick, in particular, would have been a top 5 pick in his OHL draft year.

Nick was a 7th round NHL pick and Michael wasn’t even drafted. Considering where they were developmentally a few years ago, I think that’s pretty disappointing.

Last, it’s pretty tiring hearing things like “top notch education” thrown around in NCAA vs OHL discussions. There are Universities in Canada that are amongst the highest ranked schools in the world. Any Pastujov kid could have had their entire schooling paid for at a terrific University like Queens (Elon f***ing Musk was educated here) after his OHL career was complete. Honestly, unless its the Ivy League, the education component is no better in the US than it would be in Canada.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Ok.....shrug.......

Like I said, the older brothers were thought of quite highly in OHL draft discussions. Nick, in particular, would have been a top 5 pick in his OHL draft year.

Nick was a 7th round NHL pick and Michael wasn’t even drafted. Considering where they were developmentally a few years ago, I think that’s pretty disappointing.

Last, it’s pretty tiring hearing things like “top notch education” thrown around in NCAA vs OHL discussions. There are Universities in Canada that are amongst the highest ranked schools in the world. Any Pastujov kid could have had their entire schooling paid for at a terrific University like Queens (Elon ****ing Musk was educated here) after his OHL career was complete. Honestly, unless its the Ivy League, the education component is no better in the US than it would be in Canada.
Or....go to Michigan/Notre Dame and still get their education paid for now while playing hockey and moving on and not having to worry about it...you know...the same school Tom f***ing Brady played at not to mention Billionaire Stephen M Ross who the business school is named after...owns the Miami Dolphins and has given 400 million to the university

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Ok.....shrug.......

Last, it’s pretty tiring hearing things like “top notch education” thrown around in NCAA vs OHL discussions. There are Universities in Canada that are amongst the highest ranked schools in the world. Any Pastujov kid could have had their entire schooling paid for at a terrific University like Queens (Elon ****ing Musk was educated here) after his OHL career was complete. Honestly, unless its the Ivy League, the education component is no better in the US than it would be in Canada.
The Pastujovs are Americans. An opportunity to play US National Development program (or on a USHL club team) followed by NCAA for 4 years is likely more appealing than 4 years of OHL followed by CIS in a foreign country (Canada). Understandable, to be honest.

Anyway, back to hockey ..... I’ve spent some time over the last week taking in a few of the OHL Cup games (about half a dozen) and have to say that the 03 group is hard for me to evaluate — and I’m well connected to the birth year and have seen a ton of games over the years. High end talent is close to other birth years but in my view the depth is markedly shallower. Maybe in 2-3 years I’ll have to eat those words — who knows.

Reactions: ottersguy

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Or....go to Michigan/Notre Dame and still get their education paid for now while playing hockey and moving on and not having to worry about it...you know...the same school Tom ****ing Brady played at not to mention Billionaire Stephen M Ross who the business school is named after...owns the Miami Dolphins and has given 400 million to the university

Ok..... Tom Brady is a really good football player and all.....but the Pastujovs are hockey players......... Soooo maybe the Pastujov boys could have played for the Soo Greyhounds....or Oshawa Generals....you know....two OHL teams that the two greatest hockey players of all time each respectively played for.

Anyway, you're the one that threw out "top notch education" as if to insinuate that a "top notch education" was somehow unavailable to an OHL player. Now that we've tossed our list of billionaires into the ring, I think the conclusion is that a degree from Notre Dame or UM isn't any better than a degree from Queens, McGill or U of T. Hopefully it was just an oversight on your part and that you didn't really believe there weren't any actual good Universities in Canada.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Ok..... Tom Brady is a really good football player and all.....but the Pastujovs are hockey players......... Soooo maybe the Pastujov boys could have played for the Soo Greyhounds....or Oshawa Generals....you know....two OHL teams that the two greatest hockey players of all time each respectively played for.

Anyway, you're the one that threw out "top notch education" as if to insinuate that a "top notch education" was somehow unavailable to an OHL player. Now that we've tossed our list of billionaires into the ring, I think the conclusion is that a degree from Notre Dame or UM isn't any better than a degree from Queens, McGill or U of T. Hopefully it was just an oversight on your part and that you didn't really believe that there weren't any actual good Universities in Canada.
They chose to go to Michigan...that’s good enough for me

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Anyway, you're the one that threw out "top notch education" as if to insinuate that a "top notch education" was somehow unavailable to an OHL player. Now that we've tossed our list of billionaires into the ring, I think the conclusion is that a degree from Notre Dame or UM isn't any better than a degree from Queens, McGill or U of T. Hopefully it was just an oversight on your part and that you didn't really believe that there weren't any actual good Universities in Canada.

That’s your conclusion...not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad