Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection Mock Draft 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With the OHL draft 3 weeks from Saturday. I figured it would be fun to see who will go 2-21 as we all know that it's safe to say the Shane Wright will go 1st. Keep in mind that Peterborough will get the 5th overall pick as compensation for Will Cuylle refusing to report the Petes.

1- KGN - Shane Wright (Don Mills)

2- FLNT

3 - ERI

4- BAR

5- PTBO (Comp for Cuylle)

6- WSR

7- SAR

8- NBAY

9- HAM

10- OS

11- PTBO

12- MISS

13- KIT

14- GUE

15- OSH

16- SBY

17- SSM

18- SAG

19- LDN

20- OTT

Have fun posters !!!

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I know that there has been talk about Zhilkin forgoing his BU commitment, but I left him out for now

1- KGN - Shane Wright (Don Mills Flyers)

2- FLNT - Brennan Othmann (Don Mills Flyers)

3 - ERI - Mason McTavish (Pembroke Lumber Kings)

4- BAR - Brandt Clarke (Don Mills Flyers)

5- PTBO - Connor Lockhart (Kanata Lasers) *(Comp for Cuylle)

6- WSR - Brett Harrison (London Jr. Knights)

7- SAR - Liam Arnsby (Don Mills Flyers)

8- NBAY - Ethan Del Mastro (Toronto Marlboros)

9- HAM - Francesco Pinelli (Toronto Red Wings)

10- OS - Brenden Sirizzotti (Whitby Wildcats)

11- PTBO - Artem Guryev (Toronto Marlboros)

12- MISS - Francesco Acuri (Don Mills Flyers)

13- KIT - Stuart Rolofs (Kanata Lasers)

14- GUE - Maddox Callens (Brantford 99ers)

15- OSH - Braeden Kressler (Mississauga Senators)

16- SBY - Josh Bloom (Toronto Nationals)

17- SSM - Cole Hipkin (Brantford 99ers)

18- NIA - *lost pick due to sanctions*

19- SAG - Colby Saginuk (Pittsburgh Penguins Elite)

20- LDN - Ryan Winterton (Whitby Wildcats)

21-OTT - Deni Goure (Chatham-Kent Cyclones)

Reactions: aresknights and EON

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Are they appealing or is to late for this season.draft.

They'll appeal and they'll likely get the other 1st rounder back and maybe some of the $$$ too provided they don't let any of the particulars of the sanctions get out. No names of player(s), parents, etc etc etc.

This in an effort to keep everything completely silent and hidden. Sort of a legal confidentiality agreement that if broken, further sanctions would be applied.

That's how it went down in Windsor. Otherwise, something would have eventually leaked our.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Interesting mock draft Bra Wavers. I'd personally rather see Erie take Brandt Clarke if he doesn't go #2 to Flint but good job projecting out the entire first round.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Interesting mock draft Bra Wavers. I'd personally rather see Erie take Brandt Clarke if he doesn't go #2 to Flint but good job projecting out the entire first round.

Even with drydale being a very similar player?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Personally I would be shocked if Erie picked defense in round 1. Because of the Drysdale factor. I understand the idea and the dreaming of 2 studs on the backend but is that really working out for London right now? You could argue their issues are related to offense and why? Because they (imo) lack the firepower. That’s what Erie is missing right now as well. We already have the stud defender. Now it’s time to add a similar game changer who can put pucks in the net

I see McTavish or Lockhart as the most likely guys that they would target

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
With the OHL draft 3 weeks from Saturday. I figured it would be fun to see who will go 2-21 as we all know that it's safe to say the Shane Wright will go 1st. Keep in mind that Peterborough will get the 5th overall pick as compensation for Will Cuylle refusing to report the Petes.

1- KGN - Shane Wright (Don Mills)

2- FLNT

3 - ERI

4- BAR

5- PTBO (Comp for Cuylle)

6- WSR

7- SAR

8- NBAY

9- HAM

10- OS

11- PTBO

12- MISS

13- KIT

14- GUE

15- OSH

16- SBY

17- SSM

18- SAG

19- LDN

20- OTT

Have fun posters !!!

Did Shane Wright officially say he would report to Kingston ?

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Would be very surprised to see the Knights draft a forward first round. They almost have to go D there.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I think as part of him being granted exceptional status he has to report to the team that drafts him. Not sure, if someone could clarify

Usually most players who are granted EPS in the league as a 14 yo player in a 15 yo draft will report to the team that picks them in the league, I've never heard of a a player being awarded that status who wouldn't report to the OHL club who selected them, and I've been following the draft for the past 15 straight seasons as an Owen Sound fan and have yet to see a player who's been awarded that status fail to report.

If that was ever to happen in the league, the league would almost surely eliminate the status due to the simple fact there would be no reason to award it.

Of course that would bring up the debate of the compensation picks teams are now allowed to use when a player is declared a defective to reporting to the team who selected them, keep in mind the league already has a ruling in place for those situations.

In this ruling any defective players who fail to report allows the club to declare the player defective, and in return can follow the defective protocol by requesting for the compensation selection this selection behind where the defective player was selected in the previous selection.

However there is a loophole with this process if the selection in which was awarded as compensation fails to report the team the team will not be award an additional 1st round selection in replace of the first compensation but merely a 2nd round selection this process can dwindle down no lower then a 4th round selection. Keep in mind though compensation selections usually 100% report, and has never been failed to report a second time.

In conclusion if your team is awarded a compensation selection 100% of the time the player will report that training camp.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Yes, I would prefer to have two studs on the back end and fill in around them. Not sure how long Drysdale has left here anyways. The bigger problem with the team right now is keeping goals out of the net imo. Part of that is the PK and part of that is the goaltending but they have issues on defense too. I think they have a decent chance to land one of their NCAA guys and they're better at finding impact forwards in the import draft than they are defenseman.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Would’ve been nice to have seen that Kanata Lasers team at the OHL Cup this week
They are U-18

What you would have wanted to see was the original versions before people left due to the strange HEO U 18 league and CCHL influence Ottawa Valley Titans, Ottawa Jr Sens, Ottawa Jr 67s. All three of those teams have been anywhere from 2-10 in the 03 rankings for years. It's too bad they were starting to get dismantled last season and aren't around this season.

Reactions: Bra Wavers and OSA

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes, I would prefer to have two studs on the back end and fill in around them. Not sure how long Drysdale has left here anyways. The bigger problem with the team right now is keeping goals out of the net imo. Part of that is the PK and part of that is the goaltending but they have issues on defense too. I think they have a decent chance to land one of their NCAA guys and they're better at finding impact forwards in the import draft than they are defenseman.

It’s pretty tough to draft defense first in two straight drafts but it isn’t completely uncommon.

It all depends on the construction of the rest of your roster and how confident you are in your 17 year olds development. IF you feel you have some solid pieces in deeper rounds from the 2018 draft then going after another D-Man isn’t so bad.

The negative side is doing what Ottawa did. They drafted Stratis, Bahl, and Robertson as their first three picks through the 2nd round. Then they picked Okhotyuk in the Import draft early. Plus they had Hoefenmeyer as a 2nd rounder that impressed from the previous draft. Then in the same draft as Hoefenmayer they picked Hudson Wilson and although he didn’t really play year one, he is in the top six now. That’s 6 guys in your starting six one year apart in age.

They were forced to deal Robertson (got a great return - two 2nd rounders) but you wasted all that development time on a player that would never have the right amount of ice to properly develop. They also dealt Stratis but got Rippon, a same age D-Man so that’s a push.

They will lose Hoefenmayer this year but will lose Okhotyuk, Bahl, Rippon, and Wilson the following year (Rippon may stick for an OA year). That is a lot of turnover.

So, like all drafts, it will come down to overall construction and how your team projects out. I know the 67’s loved having Nic Boynton and Bryan Campbell on the same roster. Hell, Sean Blanchard was two years older but he nabbed a Kaminski on that same roster so depth on Defense, as long as it is mobile and offensive, is a good thing.

Reactions: EON and ktownhockey

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It’s pretty tough to draft defense first in two straight drafts but it isn’t completely uncommon.

It all depends on the construction of the rest of your roster and how confident you are in your 17 year olds development. IF you feel you have some solid pieces in deeper rounds from the 2018 draft then going after another D-Man isn’t so bad.

The negative side is doing what Ottawa did. They drafted Stratis, Bahl, and Robertson as their first three picks through the 2nd round. Then they picked Okhotyuk in the Import draft early. Plus they had Hoefenmeyer as a 2nd rounder that impressed from the previous draft. Then in the same draft as Hoefenmayer they picked Hudson Wilson and although he didn’t really play year one, he is in the top six now. That’s 6 guys in your starting six one year apart in age.

They were forced to deal Robertson (got a great return - two 2nd rounders) but you wasted all that development time on a player that would never have the right amount of ice to properly develop. They also dealt Stratis but got Rippon, a same age D-Man so that’s a push.

They will lose Hoefenmayer this year but will lose Okhotyuk, Bahl, Rippon, and Wilson the following year (Rippon may stick for an OA year). That is a lot of turnover.

So, like all drafts, it will come down to overall construction and how your team projects out. I know the 67’s loved having Nic Boynton and Bryan Campbell on the same roster. Hell, Sean Blanchard was two years older but he nabbed a Kaminski on that same roster so depth on Defense, as long as it is mobile and offensive, is a good thing.

I agree with that and Ottawa maybe didn't play that situation perfectly but they're looking pretty damn good right now.

I want Erie to take Clarke, but if they do, I would want them to go forward in the import draft to avoid the scenario you outlined.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint holds the cards at #2. We have no idea if they will take a defenseman (Clarke) or wing/center (Mctavish, Lockhart, or Orthmann). A case could he made for each player.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree with that and Ottawa maybe didn't play that situation perfectly but they're looking pretty damn good right now.

I want Erie to take Clarke, but if they do, I would want them to go forward in the import draft to avoid the scenario you outlined.

Where Ottawa did well was transitioning out of that situation slightly. They gain two 2nds for Robertson so they developed him enough to theoretically double his value. I think they got a better D-Man in Rippon than Stratis.

They also had a reasonably decent succession of drafts and a few other shrewd trades bringing in the likes of Felhaber and Chemelvski. A few sell offs helped stock the draft pick cupboards to pick up DiPietro, Maksimovich and Chiodo. All in all it was a pretty well calculated series of moves including a few solid drafts.

Reactions: dirty12

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Flint holds the cards at #2. We have no idea if they will take a defenseman (Clarke) or wing/center (Mctavish, Lockhart, or Orthmann). A case could he made for each player.

Flint could be yet again in trouble with players reporting.
I have no inside info on that but do know that Drysdale said no to them last year. Assuming others did too.

I also don’t know if they are but rumors are wild about flint possibly selling/relocating. This could be total smoke show but rumors are still rumors and players might be turned off by that.

So yes flint holds the cards. But they would have been much mucchhh better served to stay at 1 overall and have Wright land in their lap. Let’s say Erie really wants player X. They tell that to player X. That player then tells flint he doesn’t want to go or won’t report. Not saying it will happen but it’s way more likely to happen with Flint at 2 than if, say, Kingston were picking at 2

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint could be yet again in trouble with players reporting.
I have no inside info on that but do know that Drysdale said no to them last year. Assuming others did too.

I also don’t know if they are but rumors are wild about flint possibly selling/relocating. This could be total smoke show but rumors are still rumors and players might be turned off by that.

So yes flint holds the cards. But they would have been much mucchhh better served to stay at 1 overall and have Wright land in their lap. Let’s say Erie really wants player X. They tell that to player X. That player then tells flint he doesn’t want to go or won’t report. Not saying it will happen but it’s way more likely to happen with Flint at 2 than if, say, Kingston were picking at 2
We knew about Drysdale, but it wasnt just Flint he wouldn't report to. We are not sure of the truth to rumors, but there has been someone who has said a ECHL franchise would like to come to Flint so that Rolr Nilsen's son had a place to play next year. Either way, it will not affect who flint selects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad