Post-Game Talk: Only took a decade but we did it! Panthers win 5-4 in Minnesota. Yandle has himself a night, 1 g,4pt

5 straight wins in a place we haven't won since 03/09/2010?

• Oh helllllll yeah, offense keeps chugging along, win by 2 or more

• Nail-biting 1 goal win but let's not come back here anytime soon

• Panthers classic, up 2-1 late but somehow cough it up late and lose by one in regulation

• Cats can't shake the Minnesota curse and lay an egg, lose by 2-3 goals

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Gotta win to keep pace (seriously CBJ and Philly, losses any day now would be great), especially with a really tough game tomorrow. The Wild are an ok team and great at home but this is one Florida needs, playoff teams win these games. Also Minnesota gave Florida its only regulation home loss this season when Florida scores 1st.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
small skilled player who just turned 23 days are now numbered, funny. He’s younger than Borg, Jayce, Hunt, Greco.

Skilled guys you want to be patient with, especially when size is not in their favor. He got off to a great start then went cold but when he came back he made some great plays that didn’t result in points. We also don’t have enough playmakers on this team, slippery guys who are patient with the puck.

there’s no real point in trading him because he prob won’t return much, his cap hit is low, and he’s got upside. I guess he could be intriguing to a team who is selling before the deadline because there’s potential upside and he’s cheap.
Yeah, a team that is retooling at the deadline (like the Rangers might be) could be in the market for a player like Malgin.

Reactions: RainingRats

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Brokerage-screenshot.png

look at these names lol, Cory Stillman with the shootout winner. Kreps as the 3rd shootout shooter? lmao

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
small skilled player who just turned 23 days are now numbered, funny. He’s younger than Borg, Jayce, Hunt, Greco.

Skilled guys you want to be patient with, especially when size is not in their favor. He got off to a great start then went cold but when he came back he made some great plays that didn’t result in points. We also don’t have enough playmakers on this team, slippery guys who are patient with the puck.

there’s no real point in trading him because he prob won’t return much, his cap hit is low, and he’s got upside. I guess he could be intriguing to a team who is selling before the deadline because there’s potential upside and he’s cheap.
I agree - I’d keep Malgin. He’s fast, can hang onto the puck (if he can avoid being hit), is a great passer (if his line mates could finish his stock would be higher), and shoots reasonably well (accurately).

His defense and hitting is better than Hoff’s, not that it’s anything to write home about, but just saying.

airbud

Dec 24, 2019

The same people who hate on malgin are the same people who make you think we're losing a 4-1 game by complaining about things they'll never dream of being capable of doing.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Panthers last played in Minnesota on December 13th 2018. I know this because I watched the game in my hospital room in Ottawa while receiving a bone marrow stem cell transplant. It was to be the highlight of my day, watching the Panthers play.

They proceeded to play the game and laid an egg, losing 5-1. Not a single player, if I remember correctly, played well that night. I'm even going to say Grecs, despite being in his first NHL game. It was like the effort and will was shot out of that team. I know it was late, but right then and there I knew there was going to be no playoffs last season.

I remember being so frustrated watching the game. If Only They gave some sort of an effort, they would have done better, but they didn't. I wrote to GR after the game to tell him my story, and how disappointed I was with the Minnesota game. I asked him if he could pass that along to the team for me. I was in the hospital room in Ottawa giving my all and full effort for something way harder then playing a hockey game. I would have gave my everything to been able to play in that game. I just wanted the players to know that.

Hopefully tonight they remember that game, and give a trying effort. Another reason to give it a try tonight is the game is being broadcast on Sportsnet Nationwide in Canada, so there will be a lot of eyes on the team.

I am going to stop my Rant because it is making me emotional just thinking about this 13 months ago.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Panthers last played in Minnesota on December 13th 2018. I know this because I watched the game in my hospital room in Ottawa while receiving.......

Damn man! Thanks for sharing your story and the team definitely owes you a 100 percent effort out there tonight, no doubt. Glad you were able to overcome those dark days to be with us to hopefully see the playoffs!

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Nitpicking but Borgstrom is younger, if only by half a year.
It's true that guys like Malgin often take longer. At the same time, this is his fourth NHL season with us (or more like "the fourth year he has played/is expected to play roughly 50 games in the NHL"). There's no doubt that he was rushed into the league, but he's useless on the fourth line and hasn't been able to grab a spot in the top9... and we keep scratching him because we're fighting for a playoff spot, which means that once again, he's sitting out significant portions of the season even when he's actually healthy. I'm not saying we should waive him or dump him for a low pick, but one has to wonder if a change of scenery wouldn't be the best for him. Will he even get another real chance this year? Q seems quite happy with the lineup he has now.
Though I guess you're right - with his pricetag and potential, given how close to the cap we are, we'll hold on to him for one more year unless there's a good offer (especially since many our other forward prospects have been disappointing this year). But he needs to prove that he can stay healthy and play a full season in a top9 role. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: pantherbot

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

True story.

Borgstrom was our "prized" prospect.

Malgin has shown more than Borg.

What a disappointment he has been so far. Just fortunate that Toninato, a plug, has somehow stayed afloat.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
True story.

What a disappointment he has been so far. Just fortunate that Toninato, a plug, has somehow stayed afloat.
Two thoughts:
  1. Probably the best thing for Malgin is a trade for a similar change of scenery player, ideally someone less talented but more suited for the 3rd line. Clearly, we have a top 6 of Barky, Hubs, Dads, Connolly, Troch and Hoff/Acc/Tippett (eventually) that limits Malgin's future.
  2. Toninato has been great, but I think it's Acciari that really was the shock. He has filled in every role from faceoff man to 4 line center to elite scorer ;) Without him, we probably wouldn't be in a playoff race imo.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
True story.

I agree.

Malgin hasn't shown anything to stay over Toninato in the lineup. He had a great preseason and continued here despite getting some time in Springfield

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m just as disappointed in Borg’s lack of progress this season, but: 1) is something (injury) going on physically?, 2) if not, and it’s maturity (mental), then don’t count him out yet. Players mature differently...there’s a formula but individuals differ. I’d give him another year after this.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I’m just as disappointed in Borg’s lack of progress this season, but: 1) is something (injury) going on physically?, 2) if not, and it’s maturity (mental), then don’t count him out yet. Players mature differently...there’s a formula but individuals differ. I’d give him another year after this.

Borg got thrown in at the deep end way too soon and so I'd reckon his low production this season is the repercussion. He's basically a late 2015 draft pick so there's plenty of other promising prospects in that bunch that haven't panned out yet, like Kaprizov, Jaros, Balcers, Terry, etc. If he had spent the previous season along with the current season in the AHL getting some quality minutes, the outlook would be a whole lot different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad