Online Series: Only Murders In The Building (Disney+/Hulu)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Just started season 1 so I successfully quick scrolled past anything that looked like a spoiler. Only up to episode 3 so far but I'm really enjoying it so far.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Okay. I'm on Episode 8 and the whole thing is a pretty big plot hole to me. I'll spoiler tag in case others haven't watched yet.
Dimas threatens to kill the trio if they don't release a false conclusion podcast. First off, in reality, when criminals get in this situation, they don't give people this kind of out. It may be a risk to kill them and attract even more attention to the residents of the Arconia given that they were investigating a suspected murder, but I feel like the risk is even greater that the podcast trio could do one of several things that don't seem to be occurring to anyone.

1. Turn over all of the evidence to the detective and go into police custody, which isn't being offered by the detective.
2. Do the false conclusion podcast, continue investigating, then release all the evidence wholesale without Dimas expecting it.
2b. Go to some remote location or at least somewhere Dimas can't find them for a while and release the podcast remotely.

I mean even if they're setting up for a twist and someone else killed Tim, which wouldn't surprise me, there's some very easy ways around all this.

Still enjoying the show but this feels like a pretty big contrivance.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I'm not fully up to date on the new season so not gonna read spoilers, but I just have to say this is my favorite show out there atm (outside Last of Us I suppose), just the most adorable murder show with near perfect chemistry and writing

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not that this new season isn't good, it is, but I feel like there's something just a bit off with it and I can't fully put my finger on why. Maybe it comes down to something as simple as it's the first season I'm watching weekly releases instead of binges. But there just seems to be a lack of the same charm and compelling storylines. I think the best way I can put it is all three seasons follow the same general formula and you know from the jump that most suspects on the trio's radar aren't going to end up being the killer. And it would be one thing if it it was just a formula running dry but it's presented better in the first two seasons. I rewatched the seasons with my SO before I jumped into season 3 and it didn't lose its luster even though I knew what was going to happen or who was really behind things.

And there's just something about the stories for the three characters that feels...the only way I can describe it is like the writers feel unsure of what to do with all three of them. Their story beats are still amusing but while every season there's a balance between the trio solving the mystery together and then either doing their own thing or Mabel's on her own while Charles and Oliver are together without her. It's just a lot more noticeable when they're apart this season and I think that goes to a less compelling set of self contained character stories.

I'm enjoying the season to an extent but it just feels like a few notches below its predecessors.

Reactions: Felidae

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Meryl Streep is a treasure. She can't help but steal every scene she's in. She's just so much better than everybody else. Maybe that's intended, in fact now that I think about it it probably is.

Why do I feel like either Tina Fey is going to save this season or doom it to all eternal damnation?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Honestly Selena Gomez is kind of a terrible actress. But she's giving it her all and I respect that.

TBF she is up against some actual icons. I've always enjoyed Jane Lynch and the Howard gay(?) neighbour character was cracking me up in episode 6. The always dreamed of being an actor bit has been done many many times but that was full production.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Honestly Selena Gomez is kind of a terrible actress. But she's giving it her all and I respect that.

TBF she is up against some actual icons. I've always enjoyed Jane Lynch and the Howard gay(?) neighbour character was cracking me up in episode 6. The always dreamed of being an actor bit has been done many many times but that was full production.
I don't know that I'd go with terrible to describe her ability. At least in this show she's ranged from passable to below average. I think real terrible in a big budget work is someone like the kid from Boyhood in his supporting role in The Circle. Truly terrible acting with inhuman line deliveries and unnatural facial expressions.

But other than that, agreed. Her level of talent is really glaring when she's sharing many scenes with Short and Martin. Even the lesser known supporting actors routinely do a better job. Selena brings occasional charm and has solid chemistry with Martin and Short, but I can think of a number of actresses who could have done a better job with the role.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Finale was good. Less of a twist-a-thon than last season's finale which I appreciated. The season overall was a bit unfocused. While they really beefed up Oliver's role, it kind of felt like Charles was relegated to more of an occasionally useful goof. And all character developments with Mabel they seemed to be setting up just fell by the wayside.* I think season 4 needs to find a better way to have each of the trio have their own independent narratives that intertwine where necessary. Them coming together to finally solve the murder at the end really felt more incidental and obligatory which makes the solve feel formulaic and unearned.

*Like she's trying to figure out where to go with her life beyond solving murders and finding a new place to live. Seemed she could go on utilizing her aptitude for solving murders by partnering with Cinda Canning but that plot thread went nowhere. Maybe there's some potential new avenues moving to LA to move with her new guy who's another one-off romance for her but she decides not to, so in the end she's right back to where she started.

At least Charles could have some compelling stuff going on with someone clearly attempting to murder him but getting Sazz instead.

And I know I just complained about it but they really need to do away with these one season only love interests. It's cute in moderation but it's become a running gimmick at this point, since it's fairly obvious that Loretta won't be returning with her going to LA with Dickie

Other than that, still a comfy Monday watch. Meryl Streep and Paul Rudd were really solid additions.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Finale was good. Less of a twist-a-thon than last season's finale which I appreciated. The season overall was a bit unfocused. While they really beefed up Oliver's role, it kind of felt like Charles was relegated to more of an occasionally useful goof. And all character developments with Mabel they seemed to be setting up just fell by the wayside.* I think season 4 needs to find a better way to have each of the trio have their own independent narratives that intertwine where necessary. Them coming together to finally solve the murder at the end really felt more incidental and obligatory which makes the solve feel formulaic and unearned.

*Like she's trying to figure out where to go with her life beyond solving murders and finding a new place to live. Seemed she could go on utilizing her aptitude for solving murders by partnering with Cinda Canning but that plot thread went nowhere. Maybe there's some potential new avenues moving to LA to move with her new guy who's another one-off romance for her but she decides not to, so in the end she's right back to where she started.

At least Charles could have some compelling stuff going on with someone clearly attempting to murder him but getting Sazz instead.

And I know I just complained about it but they really need to do away with these one season only love interests. It's cute in moderation but it's become a running gimmick at this point, since it's fairly obvious that Loretta won't be returning with her going to LA with Dickie

Other than that, still a comfy Monday watch. Meryl Streep and Paul Rudd were really solid additions.

I liked the finale a lot. Season finished strong, the working of the production into the production was really good. Dragged a bit in the early mid part of it but I think you have to accept some degree of formulaic and unearned. That's the whole thing. There's no way to organically solve a murder in your building once every year. I don't think you want a ton of character development in a show like that, just kind of the perfunctory kind they've stuck to.

Martin Short is a gem, he brought the broadway into this big time. I just knew when Howard was telling him the leading man was indisposed and that they needed a stand in that he was going to do it himself. Him and Streep carried a lot of this season and I thought they were fantastic. Charles' character I do find to be an occasionally useful goof and that that's all he's good for. I liked the setup for next season, raises the stakes and gives all the characters something to start on.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I liked the finale a lot. Season finished strong, the working of the production into the production was really good. Dragged a bit in the early mid part of it but I think you have to accept some degree of formulaic and unearned. That's the whole thing. There's no way to organically solve a murder in your building once every year. I don't think you want a ton of character development in a show like that, just kind of the the perfunctory kind they've stuck to.

Martin Short is a treasure. Him and Streep carried a lot of this season and I thought they were fantastic. Charles' character I do find to be an occasionally useful goof and that that's all he's good for. I liked the setup for next season, raises the stakes and gives all the characters something to start on.
Fair points. I do think it was a bit much with Charles this season. He felt a bit more like a caricature than in the first two seasons.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Fair points. I do think it was a bit much with Charles this season. He felt a bit more like a caricature than in the first two seasons.

Certainly some of his scenes it was a lot. I didn't get what they were doing with the fish or where he was stuck in a foggy closet. That's been Steve Martin's schtick his whole career though, over the top idiot. He got a lot of the spotlight in Season 2 so I imagine that it was an intentional choice to try to keep it fresh.

I'll always remember loving him as Inspector Closeau in Pink Panther as a kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPV and HanSolo

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I absolutely love this show. Haven't finished the latest season so not reading any spoilers. I don't think Selena Gomez is that bad. I think that's how she portrays Mabel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad