Online Series: Only Murders In The Building (Disney+/Hulu)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I noticed that the episodes are released on Disney+ here a week later than in the US. We just got episode 6.

I really love the chemistry between Martin, Short and Gomez and their characters.

I immediately guessed that the podcast being mentioned on Fallon would end up a boost but I did not guess that the sponsor might be more involved in the story that I thought.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It took me about 4-5 episodes to figure out if I liked it or not, but that last episode was really good TV. The show has been a slow burn up until now, and I love the amount of plot they fit into roughly 30 minutes with the most recent episode.

Selena Gomez is robotic as hell as an actress, but I can't tell if that's just her take on Mabel. I know absolutely nothing about her career besides she was a Nickelodeon child star and had that Beep Beep Beep Beep song, so I expected her to chew the scenery a bit more. This subdued performance is a pleasant surprised. Either way, Steve Martin Short give the viewers more than enough zaniness to balance out her calm, stolid presence.

Good show so far!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just finished episode 7, the "deaf" episode. Wow. I figured as soon as Theo saw the girl taking the ring that there would be an accident involving the ring recovery. But man, the only audible lines were at the end "We did it! Ha ha!". :amazed:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It took me about 4-5 episodes to figure out if I liked it or not, but that last episode was really good TV. The show has been a slow burn up until now, and I love the amount of plot they fit into roughly 30 minutes with the most recent episode.

Selena Gomez is robotic as hell as an actress, but I can't tell if that's just her take on Mabel. I know absolutely nothing about her career besides she was a Nickelodeon child star and had that Beep Beep Beep Beep song, so I expected her to chew the scenery a bit more. This subdued performance is a pleasant surprised. Either way, Steve Martin Short give the viewers more than enough zaniness to balance out her calm, stolid presence.

Good show so far!

First time I see her in anything really, but I think she's absolutely fantastic. I really like Martin Short, and have always loved Steve Martin, but her 'robotic tone' as you say is the best part of the show for me. I really enjoy her character a lot, feels realistic

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I'm in the same boat regarding Selena Gomez. This show is my only exposure to her so I can't tell if her unemotional performance is great acting or terrible acting. Either way, it works for the show.

Also, I'm only at episode 7 so far but I'm realy digging Nathan Lane's performance. It's almost a shame that he's often cast as a Nathan Lane-type . He's got some range.

Reactions: Jussi

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I've really loved it. It's a rare show/movie that can actively comment on its own genre while simultaneously being a good example of its own genre. Funny, entertaining and good performances across the board ... it's been a while since I've seen Short in particular play a character with some depth. Not a knock on him. He's good at big and broad and wacky, it just feels like a long time since he's been given a role that wasn't just that. The Nathan Lane casting is inspired.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So is the killer going to be somebody we have seen before or will it be someone new?

It will be kind of funny if it is in fact the cat guy.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
So is the killer going to be somebody we have seen before or will it be someone new?

It will be kind of funny if it is in fact the cat guy.

My theory...

I actually wonder if we will get a clear answer/conclusion. Ambiguous endings are pretty common in the true crime podcast realm. More than a few have a real "we're pretty sure it's this person, but there's just these one or two reasons why it might not be ..." type wrap up. I'm wondering if we're in for the same here. I think that would be bold, but I'm not sure people are going to like that.

But if I have to pick a suspect it's Oscar's dad.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, I finally got caught up on this so I can participate in the thread.

Ultimately I feel that it's a bit of Emmy/NPR bait but enjoyable nonetheless. They go out of their way to use the artistic flourishes to try and separate from the herd, with mixed results IMO.

The cast itself is strong enough without the need for tricks, like the episode without sound. I particularly enjoyed Nathan Lane's turn.

I've often pondered how to develop a new detective(s) given the preponderance of sleuths in media over the last century or two. I'll admit it's definitely a bit novel to have a couple of old has-been B celebrities and a young woman as the detecting team. The fact that it has been strictly platonic and not weird at all is refreshing as well. Age jokes are lay-ups but they are done well.

There are so few platonic relationships on TV between leads that I always roll my eyes when they eventually ruin one when the writing staff runs out of things to say/do (e.g. Billions). In real life I have many, so it can't be all that rare.

I've had a couple of laugh out loud moments in this show which were noteworthy, namely the incident with the frozen cat as well as Steve Martin's awkward conversation with the guy on the street.

Ultimately I think Martin Short might take home the Emmy/Golden Globe.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
It has to be either or both a combination of Oscar and Amy Ryan's character. It isn't gonna be some new character obviously unless they completely break tradition from mysteries. It's gonna be a known character and obviously it isn't gonna be some rando Parks & Rec type character from the building.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It has to be either or both a combination of Oscar and Amy Ryan's character. It isn't gonna be some new character obviously unless they completely break tradition from mysteries. It's gonna be a known character and obviously it isn't gonna be some rando Parks & Rec type character from the building.

It's going to be that shrink from the beginning.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Well, I suspected "that character" a few episodes ago, let's see what happens with that now that they're hinting at something (or setting up another swerve)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's funny - I keep reminding Mrs_NyQuil about that opening sequence with the corpse 2 months ago. It's easy to forget because it occurred before you really knew anything.

I'm curious how that will come together. Especially given her dream about stabbing someone with a sewing needle.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad