Post-Game Talk: Only Morgan Reilly has a high read on the Give a ___ Reader. (Leafs Lose 5-4).

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Good game by Rielly, but he still needs to work on his defensive play for sure.
If the tank continues, he'll be able to play out the rest of the season relatively pressure free. Should be good for his development, as he seems to be thriving right now.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Rielly just needs a bit more time to become an all-star Defenceman, good to see him start to finish more, looks like he has been working on his shot. Let's remember He was also at fault for the game winning goal chasing Nash instead of playing positionally sound. So he is far from a finished product. He will continue to learn.

I think it's mostly encouraging watching a young kid play and develop at such a high level.

Yes, defensive positioning is something to work on but it's not as much of a problem as it is to some other guys. Rielly actually plays hard in the defensive end (takes hits to make plays, not afraid to follow the puck carrier into the corner). It's just awesome to see NOW, and even better to think about where he can get to.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Reilly's 20 years old.

The defensive game will come. He's already better than the average young defender.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Not saying this is the reason but it is funny how Rielly has risen with Phaneuf out. We are surviving without Phaneuf and we will survive just fine without Kessel. But we will change the culture.

Not that I am a Dion lover, but if this is "surviving", I don't know what to tell you.....

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was at the game with clients, and watching Rielly in person was worth the price of admission in of itself. The kid is going to be an all star for many years to come. He reminds me of a young Brian Leetch in so many ways.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
His defensive is game is more then fine.....you are correct he is 20 years old and is our best D man! It truly is not even close.

I didn't think he was very strong last year - not all that surprising given his age and the physical maturity he needs to undergo.

But he's buffed up this year - you can see it a lot along the boards in one-on-one battles; his sharp edges and good skating combined with how strong he is.

He's developing really nicely. The good thing for the Leafs, assuming the rebuild is going ahead, is that it allows him to develop on his own time, not on any sort of accelerated timeline.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Not that I am a Dion lover, but if this is "surviving", I don't know what to tell you.....

The beginning of the streak started started January 12th. We have gone 1-11-1 in that time frame. Dions last game was on the 21st.

with Dion 0-6
without 1-5-1

with Dion 178SA in 6 GP = 29.66
without 206SA in 7 GP = 29.42

with Dion 20GA in 6 GP = 3.33
without Dion 23GA in 7 GP =3.28

His absence is not even noticed

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The beginning of the streak started started January 12th. We have gone 1-11-1 in that time frame. Dions last game was on the 21st.

with Dion 0-6
without 1-5-1

with Dion 178SA in 6 GP = 29.66
without 206SA in 7 GP = 29.42

with Dion 20GA in 6 GP = 3.33
without Dion 23GA in 7 GP =3.28

His absence is not even noticed

Seriously...

Team looks pretty much the same without Phaneuf.

Id rather watch Rielly play 20+ mins than Dion anyways

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Why not Keep Dion around to be the #2 dman behind Morgan Rielly? Could be good strategy to sort of shelter the kid from the circus. Let Dion take the heat - Rielly could thrive. It's not like Phaneuf isn't a quality NHL dman (you're delusional if you think that isn't the case)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Unbelievable

David Alter
‏@dalter
Joffrey Lupul out about a week or so due to a lingering lower-body injury according to Horachek. Maintenance day for Franson

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Why not Keep Dion around to be the #2 dman behind Morgan Rielly? Could be good strategy to sort of shelter the kid from the circus. Let Dion take the heat - Rielly could thrive. It's not like Phaneuf isn't a quality NHL dman (you're delusional if you think that isn't the case)

Ok but...why keep him when you can get assets for him. Especially when the plan is to re-build and not just stay mediocre?

He'll be a #4-#5 (if that) by the time we're going to compete anyways.

Jibby95

Mar 22, 2011
Morgan Rielly has been the best leaf for quite some time now and it's not even close really. Happy to see he had a night where he put some points on the board.

Tyler Biggs*

I thought Reimer played really good. also Morgan Rielly is gonna be one heck of a player for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad