Friedman: "Only issue (in Lee contract discussions) is term"

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Lou signed a 38 year old Marleau to a 3 year deal @ 6.25M.

Curious to see how he handles this one...

At the time, It was a good idea. Nobody envisioned Marner to put up 90+ points and Tavares to be signed. This year is the only one were the contract is going to hurt us. He's very liked in the dressing room and has been good for Matthews & Marner. They got a hockey dad.

But yeah, Islanders should learn from the Ladd contract

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Players will generally take a lower cap hit for the extra term. I’d rather go higher cap but shorter term. But each team has to make that call. Time for nhl teams to be more like mlb who have been holding the lien in term with free agents the past couple of a seasons.

wait what

trout, 12 years
harper, 13 years
stanton, 13 years
machado, 10 years

18 contracts of 8+ years

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Lee was asked during the season (can't recall if it was before the game against Toronto or not) what he values most in a teammate, and he replied "loyalty."

To me, that's a shot at Tavares publicly without saying his name.

I see. Don’t recall it, but I’m sure it happened if you say so.

Besides, can’t think of any reason to not completely trust a random stranger on the internet. :sarcasm:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The fact he'll be 30 this Summer has to have an impact. 4 years might be a good compromise. He's gonna want cash for that short a term though. Something between $25-28 million. That takes him to a year before the 35 year old contract rule.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is putting your foot down at a 5 year term as opposed to a 6-7 year term really considered exploitation when you have a perfectly good comparable in James van Riemsdyk who signed for 5 years 7M per just last summer?

That seems like a little bit of an exaggeration.
give me Lee over JVR, any day. Lee is a beast.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
At the time, It was a good idea. Nobody envisioned Marner to put up 90+ points and Tavares to be signed. This year is the only one were the contract is going to hurt us. He's very liked in the dressing room and has been good for Matthews & Marner. They got a hockey dad.

But yeah, Islanders should learn from the Ladd contract
There were a few of us envisioning Marner in and around the 90 point mark

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
wait what

trout, 12 years
harper, 13 years
stanton, 13 years
machado, 10 years

18 contracts of 8+ years
If you’re getting elite players then it makes sense. I wouldn’t classify Lee in that group.

Panarin max term I get. Tavares max term I also get. Karlsson is a bit more of a risk due to his injuries of late but you can justify that.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I love how y'all still bash Tavares.

It's like sh** talking your ex for leaving you when it's your fault they* left.

Reactions: MyBudJT

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I can’t remember the last time a just under 30 year old on a long term deal worked out for the team involved

Does this mean you’re including Tavares to the Leafs... or, just forgot about him?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
27 is just under 30?

28 two months later in September and turning 29 a year later is not that far off of just under 30? But so be it... it’s your game and your rules.

Back to answering my original question... so you were not including Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad