Friedman: "Only issue (in Lee contract discussions) is term"

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As it should. I don't want more than 5-years at absolute most for Lee. No 6- or 7-year deals.
Players will generally take a lower cap hit for the extra term. I’d rather go higher cap but shorter term. But each team has to make that call. Time for nhl teams to be more like mlb who have been holding the lien in term with free agents the past couple of a seasons.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Idk I think it depends on hit / what they wanna do. If they have the cap may as well over pay for a shorter term . If they go long term just don't make it buyout proof and front load it as much as you can

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
The issue here is, do the islanders have the allure to land a big time FA. If they can land a bigger fish, or trade for one, or last resort offer sheet...

I fore one dont think Lee's game translates long term in the NHL.

Reactions: Newsworthy

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What do you guys think he'll get AAV wise?

7 million? 6.5m?

Depends on what the term is. If it’s a 5 year term it’s likely going to be close to 7M per. If it’s a 6 year term, it’s probably closer to 6M per.

I think the Islanders probably walk at a 6 year term, however. This is not going to be like Tavares where the Islanders offered more term and money and he went on to sign elsewhere.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Loyalty is a two way street. Do NYI expect him to sign for less than he is worth? That's not loyalty, that's exploitation.

Is putting your foot down at a 5 year term as opposed to a 6-7 year term really considered exploitation when you have a perfectly good comparable in James van Riemsdyk who signed for 5 years 7M per just last summer?

That seems like a little bit of an exaggeration.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Let's see if Anders Lee really does value loyalty.

I'd argue the loyalty is on the Islanders, assuming term - not dollars - is the sticking point. If he is asking for what he's worth (or something that isn't unreasonable), then it comes to how long the Islanders want to commit. Anyways, loyalty is a strong word to use. These are negotiations after all.

Reactions: ndgolden

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
A bit different. If Lee leaves its because we didn’t offer him the $$$ and term he feels he deserves. That obviously wasn’t the case with He Who Shall Not Be Named.
It really isn't much different at all. Lee is also the Captain of the team. We don't know if his motive for leaving is financial or not. NY will make a competitive offer like with JT. JT left for more talent. Who cares what the reasoning ?
They are both UFA. Neither was dealt at the deadline for compensation. Lee could have said to LOU I'm not resigning and still wouldn't have been traded. Guy loves LI also and he's supposed to be the leader. He's not worth what he's asking for. If he leaves and signs with Minny it's not all that different.
People won't be mad because he isn't a great player like Tavares.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Lou signed a 38 year old Marleau to a 3 year deal @ 6.25M.

Curious to see how he handles this one...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A bit different. If Lee leaves its because we didn’t offer him the $$$ and term he feels he deserves. That obviously wasn’t the case with He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Loyalty is a two way street. Do NYI expect him to sign for less than he is worth? That's not loyalty, that's exploitation.

I'd argue the loyalty is on the Islanders, assuming term - not dollars - is the sticking point. If he is asking for what he's worth (or something that isn't unreasonable), then it comes to how long the Islanders want to commit. Anyways, loyalty is a strong word to use. These are negotiations after all.

Just saying, it'll be extremely ironic if Anders Lee takes an indirect public shot at John Tavares for not being loyal, and then ends up leaving that very same team a few months later through the same channel that Tavares left - free agency.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Just saying, it'll be extremely ironic if Anders Lee takes an indirect public shot at John Tavares for not being loyal, and then ends up leaving that very same team a few months later through the same channel that Tavares left - free agency.

Indirect shot? Was it some article from earlier in the year that you’re referring to? Or, something else?

I don’t mean to upset Columbus fans... but to me, Panarin is really the only player who handled his situation correctly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Indirect shot? Was it some article from earlier in the year that you’re referring to? Or, something else?

I don’t mean to upset Columbus fans... but to me, Panarin is really the only player who handled his situation correctly.
Lee was asked during the season (can't recall if it was before the game against Toronto or not) what he values most in a teammate, and he replied "loyalty."

To me, that's a shot at Tavares publicly without saying his name.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad