Only five players in the entire NHL have logged more minutes than Andrei Markov

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
He has not missed a game since returning from his injury right?
Markov is far from being finished.

He has looked pretty bad at times this year. Still, he's 1 of 2 dmen on this team that actually deserve to be playing in the top 2 pairings.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Personally, mooting that the CH should trade Markov has nothing to do with his ability, it was all to do with were he was in relation to the overall development of the team.

If you see the contending window for this team in the short-term, then fine, keep him. he does an excellent job, but I still feel he plays too many minutes, and hope he's still got enough juice left for the postseason.

If you saw the cup window about 3-5 years down the line, then why would it be a bad thing to trade him?

However, since Vanek came in, priorities have changed. Clearly the club is definitely looking at making a lot of noise this PO.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I was in the trade Markov crew. Jumped ship when I realized how low the going price where at the deadline. I was down to trade Markov for a 1st and a prime prospect, but we wouldn't have gotten anything near that this year. Also, trading Markov after acquiring Vanek would've basically made the Vanek acquisition useless, so I'm happy we kept Markov. Finally, I was for trading Markov, but I'm still a big fan of him and I'm happy we kept him. Plus, if we sign him this year and our young guns develop and make him expandable in the future while he stays in good shape, we can still trade him !

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
I'll raise my hand here, but my point wasn't to trade Markov by any means necessary my point was to trade Markov if he wasn't in the team's future plans, whats the point in keeping him if we don't plan to resign him? If he factors in according to bergy keep him, resign whatever, if not trade. Pretty simple stuff and I'll stand by it.

What's the point of trading him when we're in the playoffs? What does that accomplish? Just because you don't plan on re-signing somebody doesn't mean you should trade him at the deadline, especially when you're going to qualify for the postseason.

And not simple at all. It's not just:

Is Player X a UFA? Will he be re-signed? If not, trade at the deadline. If so, do not trade if important for postseason run.

I don't think its a matter of being shortsighted at all.

Nobody said this guy wasn't a good player. And as far as I can remember, nobody said he was finished. What was said was that there was considerable risk in gambling on an older player with knee problems, esp when this team was supposedly rebuilding. It all comes down to where you're at as a team and what you'd be giving up vs. the return. I don't remember anyone saying we should just dump him for nothing.

Its great that he's performing the way he is and its great that he's stayed healthy. But its not like that guy didn't miss a ton of games for us and its not like there was no risk. Its not shortsighted to see this. We gambled on him and it looks like its paid off... but it was a gamble for sure.

Yes people said he wasn't good anymore, that he lost a step that he isn't as good as you think etc. People said he was finished, too slow, can't keep up with the NHL, etc.

Nobody is denying that there was risk in gambling on Markov and his knee problems. It's not really a big gamble btw. The guy got an unlucky break with the knee and look at him now. He's the Habs iron man right now and is producing nicely (i think like 80 pts in the past 134 GP or something).

I knew this even before last season that if Markov came back healthy next year he would pay huge dividends for us and he did and he did again this year so far.

But what I don't get was people were writing him off last year and early this year saying "Oh he looked really slow out there towards the end of last year" and "He's not as good as he used to be". Well that's to be expected with older players regardless. Nevertheless, I remain vigilant that Markov has been a huge force for us on the backend (especially that time where we were unbeaten in regulation for like 12 games when he was paired with P.K.) and huge for us on the power play. Vision matched by only a handful of other Dmen in the league and people on this board were writing him off real early.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes people said he wasn't good anymore, that he lost a step that he isn't as good as you think etc. People said he was finished, too slow, can't keep up with the NHL, etc.

Nobody is denying that there was risk in gambling on Markov and his knee problems. It's not really a big gamble btw. The guy got an unlucky break with the knee and look at him now. He's the Habs iron man right now and is producing nicely (i think like 80 pts in the past 134 GP or something).

I knew this even before last season that if Markov came back healthy next year he would pay huge dividends for us and he did and he did again this year so far.

But what I don't get was people were writing him off last year and early this year saying "Oh he looked really slow out there towards the end of last year" and "He's not as good as he used to be". Well that's to be expected with older players regardless. Nevertheless, I remain vigilant that Markov has been a huge force for us on the backend (especially that time where we were unbeaten in regulation for like 12 games when he was paired with P.K.) and huge for us on the power play. Vision matched by only a handful of other Dmen in the league and people on this board were writing him off real early.
Well, he has lost a step. I don't think anyone could deny this. That's a product of age. Doesn't mean he's not still good.

Maybe you were reading different posts than I was but most of the posts that I read talked about the risk associated with hanging onto him, esp as a FA this year. And keep in mind, we didn't have Vanek at the time either. You can only base opinions on what information you have at hand.

Some posters may have been shortsighted and said he sucks, but I don't remember reading them.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Well, he has lost a step. I don't think anyone could deny this. That's a product of age. Doesn't mean he's not still good.

Maybe you were reading different posts than I was but most of the posts that I read talked about the risk associated with hanging onto him, esp as a FA this year. And keep in mind, we didn't have Vanek at the time either. You can only base opinions on what information you have at hand.

Some posters may have been shortsighted and said he sucks, but I don't remember reading them.

Maybe I don't know what "lost a step" means, but I thought it means that he's not as good as he used to be. Obviously in the literal sense he has actually lost a step as he's not as fast as he used to be.

The only risk to hanging on to him was whether or not he would get re-injured, which is a viable concern. But I was of the opinion of living in the now and that unfortunately people get injured. Also, given how much defensemen were going for at the deadline didn't make it seem like moving Markov then would be as profitable as people thought (1st round pick and blue-chip prospect? come on people).

The information you have at hand is this:

Montreal was in a playoff position.
Markov is our second-best defenseman.
Markov is an important part of our power play.

I didn't really understand how trading Markov was going to help us...unless people really thought Bergevin was in like rebuild mode or something, which I think was clear that he wasn't.

Even still, people are funny on this board. They complain when MB doesn't make a big move at the deadline (before this year) or take acceptable risk but want him to move players because it's the safe thing to do. Very odd and very typical of this fan base.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I don't think its a matter of being shortsighted at all.

Nobody said this guy wasn't a good player. And as far as I can remember, nobody said he was finished. What was said was that there was considerable risk in gambling on an older player with knee problems, esp when this team was supposedly rebuilding. It all comes down to where you're at as a team and what you'd be giving up vs. the return. I don't remember anyone saying we should just dump him for nothing.

Its great that he's performing the way he is and its great that he's stayed healthy. But its not like that guy didn't miss a ton of games for us and its not like there was no risk. Its not shortsighted to see this. We gambled on him and it looks like its paid off... but it was a gamble for sure.

Were you in coma from 2012-2013? :sarcasm: A lot of posters thought he was finished.

I don't think any logical fan ignored the risks with Markov, most of us were nervous about Markov, at least I was. But considering our team needs, and Markov's skillset and history with the team, it would have been a much greater gamble to trade him. Especially since Markov's game isn't mostly relied on great skating, but fantastic hockey sense and playmaking.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
There are times when trading veteran players like Markov can improve the team for the future; there are other times when trading players like Markov can also hurt you in the future. Markov helps us win games right now, I like the idea of Chuckie and Gallagher (for example) developing in a winning environment.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
It was obvious that markov needed to get used to his new knees and it's clear that he's missing a little "jump" to his step. Along with all the fresh talent with young legs thats hes competing against , It goes to show that Markov has incredible hockey IQ. And hes just getting smarter and smarter. Love the mean streak he's been on recently. The guy loves to win but rarely ever shows it emotionally.

Personally, I'd like Markov and Plekanec to retire with the habs. I know when it comes to asset management its not an intelligent move, but these are homedrafted players, Markov alone has been on ice for the habs for 14 years. It denotes a certain image to the league on how we treat our players (more specifically Markov/Plek not french canadian), and they can have long successful careers here. I think Markov is the best russian born player to ever play for the habs ( correct me if i am wrong here) and I truely hope they give him a job in Admin after he retires.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Maybe I don't know what "lost a step" means, but I thought it means that he's not as good as he used to be. Obviously in the literal sense he has actually lost a step as he's not as fast as he used to be.

The only risk to hanging on to him was whether or not he would get re-injured, which is a viable concern. But I was of the opinion of living in the now and that unfortunately people get injured. Also, given how much defensemen were going for at the deadline didn't make it seem like moving Markov then would be as profitable as people thought (1st round pick and blue-chip prospect? come on people).

The information you have at hand is this:

Montreal was in a playoff position.
Markov is our second-best defenseman.
Markov is an important part of our power play.

I didn't really understand how trading Markov was going to help us...unless people really thought Bergevin was in like rebuild mode or something, which I think was clear that he wasn't.

Even still, people are funny on this board. They complain when MB doesn't make a big move at the deadline (before this year) or take acceptable risk but want him to move players because it's the safe thing to do. Very odd and very typical of this fan base.
I don't know if it's that cut and dry.

I argued for dealing him long ago, back when we should've been rebuilding. I still feel we should've done it, but that was a while back even before he got hurt for the 2nd or 3rd time.

This time around... man, I remember talking with LSHAP and not really knowing what to do on this one. My thoughts were that we were a good team coming into this season with a shot at being a leader in the East if we made the right moves. We didn't make the right moves and we didn't play well. MB also seemed to have a long term plan for the team with the new players (who weren't good) being signed as stopgaps. If that's how you're going to go, then yeah... dealing Markov who was due to become a UFA actually does make sense.

If you're "going for it" though - as we seem to be now with Vanek - then you have to keep him.

Bottom line really is that you've got to pick a direction. I think that's what most posters were alluding to back then. And quite frankly now we HAVE to sign him because we can't just let him walk for nothing. I don't like the leverage he has though because I don't want to sign him for four years but he will probably extort this from us now that he's UFA.
Were you in coma from 2012-2013? :sarcasm: A lot of posters thought he was finished.
Well, there was that case of vodka that I went through...
I don't think any logical fan ignored the risks with Markov, most of us were nervous about Markov, at least I was. But considering our team needs, and Markov's skillset and history with the team, it would have been a much greater gamble to trade him. Especially since Markov's game isn't mostly relied on great skating, but fantastic hockey sense and playmaking.
Again though, depends on the direction of your team, the possible returns and what Markov's demanding going forward.

If we didn't add Vanek, I don't think I'd be all that thrilled with keeping him and him heading into next year as a UFA. With Vanek though it's a different story.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Let's wait and see how he looks in the playoffs. He's always looked great in regular season and I still can't remember ever him matching his regular season performance in the playoffs. When teams focus on him and forecheck him hard he's a totally different player. After these playoffs people will say the same thing as last year after the Sens series, that he looks slow and busted. I really don't expect him to be as good in the playoffs as he's playing now, especially playing at 23-24 min per game. Unless most of those minutes are power play time I find that's too much grinding for him to be successful in the playoffs, too many tough minutes. On the other hand we have no choice, he has to play because we have no else that can eat up those minutes, the drop off after Subban and Markov is too ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad