Only 2 More Seasons till Lockout?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't know how much people have been paying attention to fight going on between the owners and players but with the players hiring Chelios it sounds like we are going to be headed for another lockout. Will be interesting to see what kind of impact it has on contracts over the next 2 years and if we go down this road again what happens as I got to think a new NHL team in Vegas would be pissed if they spent all that money and just 2 years in have to watch an empty rink.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Don't know how much people have been paying attention to fight going on between the owners and players but with the players hiring Chelios it sounds like we are going to be headed for another lockout. Will be interesting to see what kind of impact it has on contracts over the next 2 years and if we go down this road again what happens as I got to think a new NHL team in Vegas would be pissed if they spent all that money and just 2 years in have to watch an empty rink.

Actually, Vegas is a reason why the NHL might be not so keen about shutting doors, as I don't think they're looking at completely revolutionizing the business side of things this time around.

But yeah, it's VERY possible.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
This could prove disastrous to the NHL. They really, really don't need another lockout. In the end the players will get shafted when NHL loses more popularity over the likes of MLS...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I think it won't affect contracts. It never really has. These short CBAs are the reason why teams like Nashville are not scared of cap recapture penalties. They're going to get rid of all that stuff moving forward, at least for old contracts. They frequently soften when it comes to old contracts whenever a new CBA is signed so I don't think teams will be nervous to make major commitments.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
It seems inevitable, it's more profitable for the owners to lock out the players to increase their profits than to actually do the hard work and grow their businesses.

I agree with MXD though, the NHL might want to avoid the damage a lockout might cause to Vegas's growth as a young franchise. It seems like it's the only reason they wouldn't go for a lockout, but Vegas is just one team out of 31.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

Well it has been proven that the fans will come back and keep paying higher prices in the major markets. Owners staged those ridiculous outdoor games to re-gain the lost revenues from the previous lockout.

There will be a lockout for sure imo. Hockey, and sports in general is more about business than tradition and spirit of competition now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From what I understand it's already effecting contracts,

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-s-doomsday-preppers-1.337268

Technically, the NHL's Collective Bargaining Agreement runs through Sept. 15, 2022 - or shortly before the opening of training camps for the 2022-23 season. But either the NHL or NHLPA can opt out of the agreement on Sept. 15, 2020.

That's why quite a few players, like Stepan, have negotiated hefty signing bonuses to be paid on July 1, 2020 - before any side could possibly opt out.

Players (and agents) don't seem to be interested in guessing. So far, nearly a quarter (24 per cent) of the $234 million set to be earned in 2020-21 is fully guaranteed through the form of signing bonuses.

Since the most recent lockout, 43 players league-wide have signed contracts stretching into 2020-21, already accounting for more than $234 million in payroll that year.

More than one-third (16) of those 43 players will be paid a signing bonus of at least $1 million on July 1, 2020, to limit the risk of income lost in another work stoppage. All 16 of those contracts were signed after the 2012-13 lockout, which lasted 119 days

https://www.si.com/nhl/2015/07/28/nhl-lockout-protection-payments-free-agent-player-contracts

There are storm clouds looming on the NHL’s labor horizon. At least that’s what a pair of recently signed contracts seem to suggest.

The current Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL and its players extends through the 2021–22 season, but it includes a clause that allows either party to opt out of the agreement after ’19–20

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
There will be another lockout I think it will be similar to 2012/2013, we will only have a partial season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If we miss another season, I'm done with the NHL.

See you as soon as the ink on the next CBA is barely dry. :sarcasm:

Also, don't forget those who will be done with the NHL as soon as jerseys get littered with advertising. See them in two years also.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The next lockout is going to hurt Vegas quite a bit.

To be honest, I've been expecting a lockout in the late 2010s since the 2012 one ended. It always happens with this league.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This could prove disastrous to the NHL. They really, really don't need another lockout. In the end the players will get shafted when NHL loses more popularity over the likes of MLS...

Whether the players get shafted because the owners claw back a percentage of revenues or they get shafted because the popularity/revenue league wide goes down is mostly irrelevant. The end result is the same for them. This means they actually have an incentive to make it as painful as they can for the owners in the hopes it's dissuades them from continuing the current trend.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think the escrows are getting larger and larger, so what the players are signing for is becoming less and less reflective of what they are actually getting.

The league made their platform last time on cost certainty, but I would not be happy as player with decreasing amount of income certainty.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Having bonuses in 2020 and 2022 can give a strong hand to the players when negotiating.

Imagine 40-50% of the salary already paid and the NHL decides to call a lock-out.
They would have a lot of expenses but no revenue.

CrazyShea

Mar 16, 2006
The Rock
Seriously if they go to another lock out how do we support this bush league. I know I'll still watch games but I won't devote as much time as I do now. I don't need a lockout to diminish my interest in my team right now haha it's the lowest it's ever been

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Another greed battle to decide who will say uncle first instead of trying to be partners.

When was the last strike/lockout in the NFL, NBA or MLB?

Seems like a long, long time ago yet the NHL and it's players still can't find common ground.

If it looks bad, hope folks start sending a message by boycotting games/products before they go out. Like others have said most of us will be back once the dust eventually settles and they're back.

I think it is good that it is being discussed now because they have waited too long in the past to have serious discussions which didn't help.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Another lockout would be ridiculously bad for the NHL, it's not like it's a plight for basic subsistence income there...

And yeah, if there's a lockout, I'll probably come back again to watch hockey. But, my interest has been waning the last couple of seasons, didn't watch all the games, even missed 2 playoff games, and, I don't mind. I'm sure I ain't alone in that situation.

So another ****ing lockout ?
:shakehead

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Another greed battle to decide who will say uncle first instead of trying to be partners.

When was the last strike/lockout in the NFL, NBA or MLB?

Seems like a long, long time ago yet the NHL and it's players still can't find common ground.

If it looks bad, hope folks start sending a message by boycotting games/products before they go out. Like others have said most of us will be back once the dust eventually settles and they're back.

I think it is good that it is being discussed now because they have waited too long in the past to have serious discussions which didn't help.

The NBA's last lockout took place in 2011-2012.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The NBA's last lockout took place in 2011-2012.

Thanks.

Don't follow the NBA, didn't remember them losing games but I guess there were a bunch.

I guess the point was, the NHL seems to have the worst track record in recent history of those 4 leagues. I don't think anyone else lost a full season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The last 2 lockouts zapped my interests in the NHL in a big way. I never watch a non Habs NHL game ever since, I don't go to any NHL games any more and up until this year I canceled my NHL center ice that I had purchased every season since it first came out. I don't know what impact it will have on me if they lose a full season, it just sounds like it's going to be ugly. I know the players really want to go to the olympics so maybe something can be worked out so they can go but if not I could see them losing a full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad