One Year Ago, the Florida Panthers Fired Gerard Gallant

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Wasn't there a sad pic of him waiting for a cab in Carolina.

That pic would have been my Christmas card to Florida this year.

Reactions: Bleedred

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Interesting how things change, around the time Gallant was fired by the Blue Jackets back in '06 I recall the consensus on hfboards was that he was the worst coach in the league.
10 years is a long time to learn a thing or two... Especially as a coach.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
FWIW he was fired for his non-compliance with the analytics movement the Panthers tried last year, it didn't really have anything to do with team performance.
FWIW it does not matter if he was banging the GM's wife it was then and still is the wrong move. Then to treat the man the way they did. I hope it haunts the team for years!!!

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Here's hoping Vegas doesn't follow in the footsteps of the previous "best expansion team"

Shocking watching teams like Florida be run so poorly, compared to teams like Tampa and Nashville

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I said this then and I say it now: that has to be one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen from team management standpoint. It was the start of a very promising young team's downfall too and that's just too bad because they would've needed to be succesfull to revive the hockey market again. But what can you do if the ownership is a bunch of morons?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I guess the Florida Panthers should get a lot of credit for helping build the Vegas Golden Knights into the team they are today.

No part of the Golden Knights has fit quite like Gerard Gallant’s first line - the gift from the Florida Panthers that keeps on giving.

Together with former Blue Jackets product William Karlsson, Dale Tallon’s miscalculation on Jonathan Marchessault as the enticement to dump Reilly Smith’s $25-million contract are three big reasons Vegas is three wins from the Stanley Cup Final in their first season.

Reactions: BHD

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Panthers fans are well aware. We knew it was a mistake when it happened and haven’t forgotten it now. Such a joke

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Aside from this, has anyone noticed for 15 years the Panthers have had "Good young players" and a "Bright Future" and never get better?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hardly a surprise to see a team full of players, each with a chip on their shoulder after being left unprotected by their former teams, led by a coach who feels the exact same way.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Aside from this, has anyone noticed for 15 years the Panthers have had "Good young players" and a "Bright Future" and never get better?
Weiss and Horton plateaued as 2nd line players and boumeester wanted out and ownership refused to trade him until all they had was his UFA rights so they lost him for almost nothing. Then they traded Luongo for bertuzzi and others who were all gone within 2 years.

The Panthers are a catastrophe of front office errors and mismanagement

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
The Panthers have done more damage bringing Tallon back in a prominent role. He didn't understand that Smith shot well below his career average last year and added a 50+ point guy in Marchessault to boot! What an idiot. Not to mention bringing in his pal, Davey Bolland.

Rowe found Marchessault and signed Yandle

Last year, Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad missed a combined 86 games. This year, 3(!) games missed between the three of them. If you don't think Florida makes the playoffs last year with similar health, you need some help.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I mean if you look through their draft history they've always been able to pull at least NHLers per year (05 and 06 being the exceptions). The management group(s) just keep making blunders with it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I mean if you look through their draft history they've always been able to pull at least NHLers per year (05 and 06 being the exceptions). The management group(s) just keep making blunders with it.
No one comments on this but at what point will they get better? I can't recall a time when we were not hearing hype about their prospects.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Weiss and Horton plateaued as 2nd line players and boumeester wanted out and ownership refused to trade him until all they had was his UFA rights so they lost him for almost nothing. Then they traded Luongo for bertuzzi and others who were all gone within 2 years.

The Panthers are a catastrophe of front office errors and mismanagement
Yeah those Panthers teams of pre 04' lockout were seen as the best up and coming young team in the NHL.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
No one comments on this but at what point will they get better? I can't recall a time when we were not hearing hype about their prospects.
Well yeah, thats the issue. They haven't been getting better. I don't think you'll see any Florida fans defending that. However, when all players leave and find success elsewhere, its clear that they had good young players that are clearly being mismanaged.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
They are a 90+ point team right now. Average health last year and they have 90+ points again.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Well yeah, thats the issue. They haven't been getting better. I don't think you'll see any Florida fans defending that. However, when all players leave and find success elsewhere, its clear that they had good young players that are clearly being mismanaged.
You won’t get an argument from me that the organization has massively underachieved. However your last point really isn’t correct. Yea smith and marchessault have had great success but kulikov and gudbranson have not.

The problem is that there is so much turnover in the front office and meddling from ownership, it’s hard to really place blame.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Dale Tallon get the hard traitement here, but give him a break, let me explain:

Its easy to blâme him now that Golden Knights are so good but, Tim Rowe is the Guy who fired Gallant...Gallant was Tallon Guy, when They nearly kick out Tallon, Rowe fire the Tallon man, and put himself headcoach...

Giving Marchessault was a mistake for Tallon...but he has to do it to Unload the R.Smith contract ...who was abismal back 1 year ago...Dale had to deal with Rowe decision and Interne Cap Hit...

He did it... R.Smith bounceback season is clearly a surprise...Dale get Dadonov and unload the contract or Smith...

Vegas succes Obviously part or Gallant, Matchessault and Smith From Panthers but its not all on Tallon fault... and Vegas succes is a lot because Gallant...who was Rowe mistake...and dont forget W.Karlsson 43 goal 1st Center thanks from Columbus...and that great goaltender Fleury

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Well, without judging Gallant one way or the other, but at one point even Dan Bylsma was hailed as a great coach.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yes, just like people on the outside notice a lot things about the Leafs that are inaccurate. Due to a ton of variables that people on the outside don't want to know about and don't care about, but yet still feel like they have the whole situation down pat.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Vegas is a team full of "rejects" (including the coach); they have a chip on their shoulder and are displaying it in spades...let wait until next year when the high emotions wears off and see where they are in the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad