Post-Game Talk: One win away from the Stanley Cup Final! -Habs win game 5 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I haven't looked closely at cap conditions in the league, but I suspect the cap won't be going up in the next couple of years. My understanding is that many teams are already up against the cap. If this is the case, I suspect trends we've seen in the past come to the fore again: top end players get paid, while the top quality role players/depth get squeezed. Danault may not have that much of a market for him north of $4m in these conditions.

I'm the same, I've only read or heard bits and pieces. Mostly claiming that at maximum the cap may increase by 1mil per season until the league stabilizes. I believe there are a fair amount of teams against the cap. Either that or due to covid, teams are lowering their internal cap levels.

That's the point, Danault is easily one of the top UFA's currently available this off season. Most of the current top players will probably be re-signed by their current team(s). Off the top of my head, the only center who competes with Danault is Nugent-Hopkins. So if we're able to keep him for $4m plus, I'd be thrilled. Though IMO if he's not willing to take a home town discount. He'll make much more than that on the open market.

Reactions: Runner77 and Mike8

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
One thing I feel needs to be said in defense of this team, is they certainly are not boring. I see this complaint about the Habs everywhere on HF Boards. And about the Isles as well. The idea that the Habs and Isles are bringing back the mid-90s Devils trap hockey is a huge exaggeration. We are a defensive-minded team maybe. But we are not boring, certainly not in this series. The Winnipeg series was a snoozer maybe. But this team is quite fun to watch. The emergence of Caufield and Suzuki, Anderson driving the net, Corey Perry surprising everyone with a good playoff effort late in his career, and the underdog factor... all these things make the Habs a pretty fun team to watch.

Yeah, and the Winnipeg series was more of a snoozer because of Winnipeg, not because of the Habs. Jets didn't show up for large parts of games.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm the same, I've only read or heard bits and pieces. Mostly claiming that at maximum the cap may increase by 1mil per season until the league stabilizes. I believe there are a fair amount of teams against the cap. Either that or due to covid, teams are lowering their internal cap levels.

That's the point, Danault is easily one of the top UFA's currently available this off season. Most of the current top players will probably be re-signed by their current team(s). Off the top of my head, the only center who competes with Danault is Nugent-Hopkins. So if we're able to keep him for $4m plus, I'd be thrilled. Though IMO if he's not willing to take a home town discount. He'll make much more than that on the open market.

With the cap expected to be stagnant over the next 2-3 years, this is evidently not a great time for any player to be negotiating a long term deal.

I don't know how much truth there might have been from those reports apparently leaking Danault's contract demands, however, he remains a defensive center with only marginal offensive production and that normally translates into a third line role. If a team values him as a two way player in a top 6 capacity, then let them pay -- however, I doubt the market owns that type of largesse. This is not the Lucic-Bonino-Belesky trough that UFAs can just tap into -- Danault, like most other UFAs in his talent tier, will take a hit.

I'm expecting shorter term deals as a result, however, when a player is 28 like Danault, can he really afford a short term deal?

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Absolutely.. if playing smart and structured is less exciting than playing free and loose, should a team play a more exciting style and play worse simply to look good. It would be staged excitement and incredibly phony. Actually, for the same reason a lot of people might find the world juniors more fun to watch than the NHL.They are young, have far less experience and structure, and some crazy stuff happens.

That said, I don't think these games have been boring at all.

I wasn't bored either. I mean....I guess it comes with the territory, but I just find so rewarding to see the boys just jumping on a Knight player every second any guy touches the puck. And it works, Patch was the guy with the most time to handle a puck and he scored. But that Habs team has a very good mix right now.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Gotta say...I've been very impressed with Pietrangelo this series.

People say where would the Habs be without Price...

Where would Vegas be in this series without Pietrangelo??

Same here...somehow, this guy seems to be playing the best hockey I've ever seen him. Or...I don't have a great memory. But for Vegas, if they win, Pietrangelo is the SOLE and ONLY Conn Smythe Contender. By far. While the Habs...well we have way more contenders.

But yeah, the Knights as we see them now? Without Pietragenlo? Geez..forget it, they would have been out in the 1st round.

Reactions: 417

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
With the cap expected to be stagnant over the next 2-3 years, this is evidently not a great time for any player to be negotiating a long term deal.

I don't know how much truth there might have been from those reports apparently leaking Danault's contract demands, however, he remains a defensive center with only marginal offensive production and that normally translates into a third line role. If a team values him as a two way player in a top 6 capacity, then let them pay -- however, I doubt the market owns that type of largesse. This is not the Lucic-Bonino-Belesky trough that UFAs can just tap into -- Danault, like most other UFAs in his talent tier, will take a hit.

I'm expecting shorter term deals as a result, however, when a player is 28 like Danault, can he really afford a short term deal?

Agreed, if they're confident in their ability and feel the risk of not getting injured is worth it. A short term deal would probably make more sense.

I personally take things I read/hear with a grain of salt. Considering what his line mate Gally received. It wouldn't surprise me if what was leaked is true. See that's the thing, this UFA market isn't very strong. Sure there are some big names on it. But if there wasn't an expansion draft this year. You'd see a lot of those names would already be signed.

Here's a list of the top 30 UFA's this off season. Provided by the Hockey News

The Top 30 Unrestricted Free Agents of 2021 - The Hockey News on Sports Illustrated

Once those bigger names sign back with their teams. IMO Danault will be one of the bigger names out there. Which is why, deserving so or not. I believe he's going to get overpaid. Taylor Hall took that chance with Buffalo. IMO I think he lost millions doing so. Though he did bounce back with the Bruins. So we'll see what happens. If I'm Danault, I take a little less money. Having the difference made up by having the team add on a few years.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
on his podcast, puck soup, both him and ryan simply refuse to give the canadiens any credit while shawn (down goes brown) just comes across as a bitter leafs fans.

as a habs fan, its not been a super pleasant podcast since the leafs series...

Yes all those teams could have gone just as far as the Habs have gone in more than a quarter of a century if only they had made the playoffs. I guess that’s what he’s implying?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Yes all those teams could have gone just as far as the Habs have gone in more than a quarter of a century if only they had made the playoffs. I guess that’s what he’s implying?
to me it just screams of him hating the team. didn't hear a peep from him when dallas made the final. these three always like the underdog, but now its the habs, so its a little different i guess.

and imagine saying that while vegas played in a division with anaheim, st jose, arizona and la without a hint of irony

what a dope

Reactions: Roadhouse

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
on his podcast, puck soup, both him and ryan simply refuse to give the canadiens any credit while shawn (down goes brown) just comes across as a bitter leafs fans.

as a habs fan, its not been a super pleasant podcast since the leafs series...

I've actually found Sean to be more reasonable than the other two which is surprising because he's a Leafs fan. But yea Wyshynski especially has been obnoxious and if you look at his Twitter feed, he only tweets sarcastic comments during MTL games about how we don't deserve to win, or Price is overrated, we shouldn't be in the playoffs, etc.

Pretty sure he picked Leafs in 4 to start the playoffs too, what a moron

Reactions: MasterDecoy

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Same here...somehow, this guy seems to be playing the best hockey I've ever seen him. Or...I don't have a great memory. But for Vegas, if they win, Pietrangelo is the SOLE and ONLY Conn Smythe Contender. By far. While the Habs...well we have way more contenders.

But yeah, the Knights as we see them now? Without Pietragenlo? Geez..forget it, they would have been out in the 1st round.

I disagree. It's Price, just as much as it is Pietrangelo. No one else.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I disagree. It's Price, just as much as it is Pietrangelo. No one else.

Don't agree. Name me another Vegas player that could contend like Suzuki could? You could even have high marks for Toffoli. And while it would not happen because of lack of points, the top 4 on D could have votes AHEAD of a guy like Pacioretty would.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Serie was 2-2
bo 3 with 2 games at home
Lehner just stole a game , then you back to Fleury for what reason? Terrible coaching.
Now he has to die with Fleury in the net for game 6 because you can't go back now.

Putting Lehner in for game 4 was questionable, but it worked out. Putting Fleury in for game 5, after such a great performance from Lehner, was bone-headed! It made no sense, IMO. DeBoer could have easily gone back with Fleury in game 6, if Lehner failed in game 5. Now DeBoer is in a pickle. Does he make the "safe" move for game 6, and go with Fleury, and probably lose? Or does he take a risk and go with Lehner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad