Advice: One-timer Problem

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
So, it's now a year (more or less) since I tried a one-piece stick and I'm still having some issues with my one-timers.

I'll try to explain with my limited English.. Hard passes from the other wing (like I'm on the left wing and partner is on the right wing) or from behind me I have no problem with. The problem is hard passes that are coming directly towards me, for example: the passer is behind the net and I'm on the high slot. My twig & blade just felt really weak upon impact, I often got the feeling that it's about to snap.

My techniques are solid, not pro-quality or anything but solid enough. I've been playing for about 15 years and never had problems with a wood stick or shaft+blade combos, currently using a Vapor APX 67 flex cut down to 75. The problem is gone when I'm using a TotalOne but I want to keep using my APX because I love its dimension and balance since I have small hands.

Is there any advice you guys can give me? Technique adjustment tips, sticks, anything really.

Thanks

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
So what's the real problem? The stick feeling weak? Or is the shot being flubbed or what?

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
Is it possible your getting too much toe on the shots instead of the mid blade or heel?

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
Definitely not because if that happens, the feel on the blade is obviously different. The problem I'm experiencing is like too much (?)torque.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Should check out howtohockeydotcom's new video on Youtube. It talks exclusively about one-timers, doesn't specifically address your issue but might ring a bell when you watch his technique.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't 2-piece sticks seem stiffer than their 1-piece counterparts at the same flex rating? It could be you're expecting the stiffness you're used to with the 2-piece but you're getting the softer flex of the 1-piece? Not sure.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
If you're feeling too much whip then maybe your stick is too whippy?

Yes probably but a flex rating of 72 is supposed to be stiff for me, I'm only 5'6 and 160 lbs. That's why I don't understand.

You positive it's not technique? Gripping too high with your bottom hand? Standing too tall whilst shooting?

I'm pretty positive, I've been doing it ever since I can shoot properly. Hand position, body position, knee drop, etc. Sure I make 1 or 2 mistakes at times but should not result in a flubby or too whippy feeling.

Should check out howtohockeydotcom's new video on Youtube. It talks exclusively about one-timers, doesn't specifically address your issue but might ring a bell when you watch his technique.

I did actually, in fact their latest video was about one-timer I believe. I subbed to them long time ago including hockeyus.com and m2hockey (hockeyshare.com). They're all teaching all the good fundamentals, however none of them showed one-timer from passes coming directly in front of you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't 2-piece sticks seem stiffer than their 1-piece counterparts at the same flex rating? It could be you're expecting the stiffness you're used to with the 2-piece but you're getting the softer flex of the 1-piece? Not sure.

Yes probably but how do I address the issue without having to change sticks?
It's just the HARD passes that are coming from the front that's giving me this problem (imagine you're the passer behind the net and I'm on the high slot, then you pass it hard to me).

Hard passes from any other directions I can one-time with no problem.

Jo Ma

Jul 26, 2012
Hong Kong
Yes probably but a flex rating of 72 is supposed to be stiff for me, I'm only 5'6 and 160 lbs. That's why I don't understand.

I'm pretty positive, I've been doing it ever since I can shoot properly. Hand position, body position, knee drop, etc. Sure I make 1 or 2 mistakes at times but should not result in a flubby or too whippy feeling.

I did actually, in fact their latest video was about one-timer I believe. I subbed to them long time ago including hockeyus.com and m2hockey (hockeyshare.com). They're all teaching all the good fundamentals, however none of them showed one-timer from passes coming directly in front of you.

Yes probably but how do I address the issue without having to change sticks?
It's just the HARD passes that are coming from the front that's giving me this problem (imagine you're the passer behind the net and I'm on the high slot, then you pass it hard to me).

Hard passes from any other directions I can one-time with no problem.

I think the problem is the hard pass…
The force of the puck and your power makes the stick flex too much…
A stiffer stick may help…

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
I think the problem is the hard pass…
The force of the puck and your power makes the stick flex too much…
A stiffer stick may help…

Well as I explained on my first post, I tried using a stiffer Totalone and the issue was gone. However, I hate the shaft dimension.. I was hoping there are some other ways other than having to change sticks. Probably technique tweaking or something

Jarick

Doing Nothing
It sounds like you might just be really strong. I knew a guy at 5'6 and 150 who used a 100 flex cut down. Now he couldn't flex it much but still had a really good shot. Considering your country, you will probably be better off getting a 75-77 flex senior stick and chopping it down. The senior Vapors will be a little bigger diameter but same shaft shape.

Otherwise you can try a 70 flex Warrior, those are similar shaft shape but a little stiffer feeling (to me at least). Or go custom Warrior where you can go stiffer, or try Base hockey in 85 flex intermediate...

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
just my opinion, but i don't think it's due to bad technique per se, but more of a give and take when choosing particular stick flexes. for instance, one of the things i notice when dropping down to whippier sticks is that although my wrist and snap shots improve in velocity, i notice much more torquing and give when taking one-timers and receiving hard passes. just the nature of the beast.
what i notice that helps give just a touch more stability on one-timers(from any direction) for me with whippier sticks is to drop you bottom hand just a touch more than you usually do. i notice my shots come off more accurately and with more stability. still feels a bit weird, but you should get used to it with practice.

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
It sounds like you might just be really strong. I knew a guy at 5'6 and 150 who used a 100 flex cut down. Now he couldn't flex it much but still had a really good shot. Considering your country, you will probably be better off getting a 75-77 flex senior stick and chopping it down. The senior Vapors will be a little bigger diameter but same shaft shape.

Otherwise you can try a 70 flex Warrior, those are similar shaft shape but a little stiffer feeling (to me at least). Or go custom Warrior where you can go stiffer, or try Base hockey in 85 flex intermediate...

I'm not that strong really but I do take one-timers with all my body behind it. A senior stick? Is that even theoretically valid? I cut my stick pretty short, my vapor x40 was a 77 flex and it was right on the 92 flex marker after cut down :cry:

I've always used senior sticks before though, because my country only got senior sticks available when i started playing. And they were all righty... hence Indonesian hockey players of my generation are all shooting right LOL

just my opinion, but i don't think it's due to bad technique per se, but more of a give and take when choosing particular stick flexes. for instance, one of the things i notice when dropping down to whippier sticks is that although my wrist and snap shots improve in velocity, i notice much more torquing and give when taking one-timers and receiving hard passes. just the nature of the beast.
what i notice that helps give just a touch more stability on one-timers(from any direction) for me with whippier sticks is to drop you bottom hand just a touch more than you usually do. i notice my shots come off more accurately and with more stability. still feels a bit weird, but you should get used to it with practice.

Interesting.. I'll give it a try this Saturday, hopefully it's not fogging so i can record a video and share it to you

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Donger said it better than I did.

One timers tend to torque and flex the stick more than regular shots because the puck is moving quickly towards you. It's not a perfect analogy but think of a car hitting a wall vs hitting another car head on.

Mid kick sticks can really help here because they are a lot stiffer at the bottom to resist torque. Of course then you have concave shaft walls which can be uncomfortable for us guys with smaller hands.

The other option is to go stiffer flex which might mess with your regular shot. It depends on your priorities though...likely won't get the perfect stick for every situation.

JR97

May 16, 2012
How low is your bottom hand? I'm your height, same flex vapor sticks as well. I really have to get low on hard one timer passes and those coming from in front from either behind the net or from the corner. Also, I don't really put much wind up into those types of one timers either. And when I get low, I mean almost down to one knee like Brett Hull.

1:13 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=po4v9BCPAYE#t=67s

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
How low is your bottom hand? I'm your height, same flex vapor sticks as well. I really have to get low on hard one timer passes and those coming from in front from either behind the net or from the corner. Also, I don't really put much wind up into those types of one timers either. And when I get low, I mean almost down to one knee like Brett Hull.

1:13 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=po4v9BCPAYE#t=67s

I'm always one-timing with really low knees, I don't know why or when I started doing that but it just felt comfortable. Bottom hand is about 4 inches lower than my usual shoulder-width grip. The big difference is I often do big windups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad