One Piece Live action Netflix

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Kuro is just a really boring villain. Chalk it up to Oda's inexperience by not knowing how to make a more stoic villain interesting at the time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Season 6 Paramount war (honestly that easily could be two seasons)

Thinking more about the beats of Marineford that absolutely have to get shown, 4 episodes should be enough with no more than 6 needed if they keep this pace up. Going off the top of my head we have to see:

Whitebeard's initial assault
Sengoku's Counter
Luffy's Arrival & meeting with Whitebeard
Luffy's Haki (future sight w/ Mihawk)
Akainu's Justice
Sengoku's Announcement
Ace Flashback
Luffy's Haki (conquerer's)
Luffy & Garp
Garp's Flashback
Ace Escape
Sengoku's transformation
Buggy's Hero moment
Pacifistas' Arrival
Ace Death
Luffy Escape
Blackbeard Makes his Move
Koby's Haki
Shanks' Arrival

Plus Smokey's gotta be in there somewhere even though he doesn't do much that's really imperative to the story.

I obviously wouldn't complain if they filled it up with even more action given how well choreographed the action scenes have been...but this is an expensive show to make already, and a massive war with tons of devil fruit users will break the bank, so I think they'll want to keep the story moving as much as they can.

Last edited:

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I have never watched/read One Piece. I'm Akira/Dragonball/Gundam generation (for North America)when it comes to manga/anime. I've been trying to get my girlfriend to watch DBZ for years...

She LOVES this show.

Very refreshing to see media that isn't burdened, subjected, edited, curtailed to modern... stuff. The people involved clearly love the source material and it shows. Now while I don't quite think this opens the door to Bulma trading her underwear to little Goku for his dragon ball, it gives hope that maybe there will be some good adaptations in the future. Finally.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Kuro is just a really boring villain. Chalk it up to Oda's inexperience by not knowing how to make a more stoic villain interesting at the time.
I actually really liked Kuro. He was creepy as hell.

I just finished the season, and damn- it was good. My wife was hesitant to keep going after episode two, but she gave it more time, and even she really enjoyed it. My wife doesn't care about the battles or violence. She wants substance, and this show delivered.

When Nami cried 'please help me Luffy!'. That scene hit the soul. There were quite a few scenes filled with a lot of soul, but that scene really stuck out to me. I was surprised by how much substance it had in that regard. So, you know it's way more than a pirate adventure if my wife has become a fan of it because a pirate adventure based on an anime is the farthest thing from intriguing to my wife.

Good stuff. Can't wait until season 2!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I just finished the season, and damn- it was good. My wife was hesitant to keep going after episode two, but she gave it more time, and even she really enjoyed it. My wife doesn't care about the battles or violence. She wants substance, and this show delivered.

When Nami cried 'please help me Luffy!'. That scene hit the soul. There were quite a few scenes filled with a lot of soul, but that scene really stuck out to me. I was surprised by how much substance it had in that regard. So, you know it's way more than a pirate adventure if my wife has become a fan of it because a pirate adventure based on an anime is the farthest thing from intriguing to my wife.

Good stuff. Can't wait until season 2!

That's an iconic scene in the manga/anime too. They knew that scene needed to be a home run and it succeeded.

Season 2 has even more of that substance depending on how much they adapt.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That's generally the problem with this genre of anime/manga. The characters and world building can be really good, but it inevitably falls into a pattern of sequences of long drawhn out individual battles. The anime version is the worst because the story is based off a manga which will release a 20 page chapter every week, which I've always guestimated to be worth about 8 minutes of animated content. As the animators need to fill out 20 minutes they come up with all sorts of ways to stretch things out so that's how you get Goku and Freeza spending whole episodes just grunting at each other or whatever. With the manga generally not being as bad as they can cover that in a few pages.

Anyways, I just binged the first 4 episodes and yeah I'm loving it. I'll have to see if the pacing keeps up but so far the format works really well as there's no urgency to stretch things out so the end battles are more like end of super hero movie beat downs and that works. I don't need to know ahead of time but my concern would be going forward if you take the 4th episode here where Luffy and Zorro had simultaneous battles how will they handle it if/when they crew grows a bunch and if you stick to the original you have to include the actions of character x, y, and z (plus maybe more) in their own individual simultaneous battles.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
That's generally the problem with this genre of anime/manga. The characters and world building can be really good, but it inevitably falls into a pattern of sequences of long drawhn out individual battles. The anime version is the worst because the story is based off a manga which will release a 20 page chapter every week, which I've always guestimated to be worth about 8 minutes of animated content. As the animators need to fill out 20 minutes they come up with all sorts of ways to stretch things out so that's how you get Goku and Freeza spending whole episodes just grunting at each other or whatever. With the manga generally not being as bad as they can cover that in a few pages.

Anyways, I just binged the first 4 episodes and yeah I'm loving it. I'll have to see if the pacing keeps up but so far the format works really well as there's no urgency to stretch things out so the end battles are more like end of super hero movie beat downs and that works. I don't need to know ahead of time but my concern would be going forward if you take the 4th episode here where Luffy and Zorro had simultaneous battles how will they handle it if/when they crew grows a bunch and if you stick to the original you have to include the actions of character x, y, and z (plus maybe more) in their own individual simultaneous battles.
It's not even every week now as the author as been taking breaks for health reasons and there are even more breaks now because of his contribution in the live action adaptation.

VelvetVortex

Oct 6, 2023
I enjoyed the One Piece live action, even though I never liked the anime version. I prefer Naruto and Bleach anime.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Finally got around to this and loved the show.

I'm a newish (Covid Era) anime fan and I'll never get around to watch the 1000+ episode anime (even the 'abridged' version). Pretty much the only thing I knew about this show was Luffy's name. I had no idea of any other characters or the powers in this show. Didn't even know it was a pirate themed.

Luffy's gum power came out of nowhere and I have to say, I'm not a fan of that. The other powers were easier to come into terms with after that, but I probably would've had the same reaction to, for example Buggy's power, if that was the first thing I saw. I was pretty intrigued how the anime looks, and I did watch few episodes here and there, but I didn't care the stretching thing there either. I guess I was just expecting something else, since I have heard some big hype about some Gear 5 thing that has come in the recent anime episodes. I'm keeping my mind open though for any future powers/abilities that Luffy comes up with.

I've seen some lists of top anime characters of all-time and Luffy has always been like top 3 and at the moment I don't see it. I don't know if it'd be the same in the anime, but in this, he was probably my least favorite straw hat member (him or Usopp). Don't get me wrong, I still like all of them, but Zoro, Nami and Sanji were just really awesome characters and the actors did amazing job. Luffy's goofiness and over positivity just was a hit or miss sometimes.

All things considered, I loved the show. Seems like it's a great adaptation from the manga/anime so I'm really happy that those with prior knowledge were able to enjoy it as well. With this adaptation, I'm really looking forward to the ATLA live action show.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Finally got around to this and loved the show.

I'm a newish (Covid Era) anime fan and I'll never get around to watch the 1000+ episode anime (even the 'abridged' version). Pretty much the only thing I knew about this show was Luffy's name. I had no idea of any other characters or the powers in this show. Didn't even know it was a pirate themed.

I thought that which is why I had never bothered stating the anime, then I really enjoyed the live action and now i'm fully up to date with the anime, it can be a slog at times, but it's way more hit than miss

Reactions: cgf

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I thought that which is why I had never bothered stating the anime, then I really enjoyed the live action and now i'm fully up to date with the anime, it can be a slog at times, but it's way more hit than miss
I have so much anime (and other things) to watch that I can't be bothered. Though now they're gonna do the remake so I might start that one or just stay with the LA

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Skipping all of the filler arcs except G4 helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad