One Piece Live action Netflix

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Anyone else enjoying this series? its a bit of an unexpected hit worldwide right now. I have not even made it past the first part of the anime series but the live action is pretty darn good.

#1 right now in Canada, US and 50+ other countries.

its a fun watch even if you know nothing about the anime series or trading card game.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
My friends and i have been fans for decades. I have not watched it but one of my friends did and she gave it her seal of approval.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
After watching it...I gotta say definitely an amazing adaptation. The characters fit their roles pretty damn well, amazing casting choice. I can see their growth like the growth in Manga/Anime in the near future as well. A lot of homages to the manga/anime for sure and scene for scene and all. I did have things to note for sure though...

Garp's character seems a bit more...out there compared to the source but I can see why and how they took it in that turn...its been so long since the beginning of the current series that my memory is a bit hazy so maybe he was always like that? Someone could correct me. Hatchan/Hachi not being there is interesting as there are a lot of moments for that character development from Arlong Park. Dunno how they are going to approach that or are they going to do flashbacks? As he plays some critical parts in the near future.

A lot of references like Panda/panda man and Bink's sake (a classic)

Looking forward to the future but cautiously optimistic because Netflix can ruin it but Oda has a lot of say so I hope they don't ruin it.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
After watching it...I gotta say definitely an amazing adaptation. The characters fit their roles pretty damn well, amazing casting choice. I can see their growth like the growth in Manga/Anime in the near future as well. A lot of homages to the manga/anime for sure and scene for scene and all. I did have things to note for sure though...

Garp's character seems a bit more...out there compared to the source but I can see why and how they took it in that turn...its been so long since the beginning of the current series that my memory is a bit hazy so maybe he was always like that? Someone could correct me. Hatchan/Hachi not being there is interesting as there are a lot of moments for that character development from Arlong Park. Dunno how they are going to approach that or are they going to do flashbacks? As he plays some critical parts in the near future.

A lot of references like Panda/panda man and Bink's sake (a classic)

Looking forward to the future but cautiously optimistic because Netflix can ruin it but Oda has a lot of say so I hope they don't ruin it.
It is performing well, Oda is involved and they have people that know and care about the source material unlike The Witcher. Netflix would have to work really hard to mess this up.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I could never get into One Piece back in the day, and I don't think I'll ever end up watching this version. But I'm just quite surprised that it seems... they really nailed it and everyone loves it? Just thinking back to how they botched Cowboy Bepop, an adaption should have been a shoe-in, but they nailed the much goofier looking One Piece? I don't mean that in a negative way, just the farther away from realism the go the harder it should be to make a 'live adaption'. Like the multi-wielding katana guy who fights with one of them held in his teeth.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I could never get into One Piece back in the day, and I don't think I'll ever end up watching this version. But I'm just quite surprised that it seems... they really nailed it and everyone loves it? Just thinking back to how they botched Cowboy Bepop, an adaption should have been a shoe-in, but they nailed the much goofier looking One Piece? I don't mean that in a negative way, just the farther away from realism the go the harder it should be to make a 'live adaption'. Like the multi-wielding katana guy who fights with one of them held in his teeth.
It's all about the people involved. The Witcher should have also been easy to adapt but they got a show runner and writers that dislike the material and thus decided to change it for the worse. It seems to be quite the opposite for One Piece.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I was expecting it to suck.

It did not. It was actually kinda...good? Pleasantly surprised.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
So this is my first exposure to one piece.

Man, this show is wacky. From some of the acting to the fight scenes especially being over the top. Sometimes I'm laughing and but other times it borders on being a bit cringe. Not sure if that's what they intended..

Anyways, I am having fun with it so there's that.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I'll admit that I thought this would be a disaster, but I think it works because they embraced the wackiness of the manga/anime. I've seen my share of Japanese manga made into live-action, but they always seem weird to me because they usually have Japanese actors play characters with blonde, red, blue hair etc. Somehow, using a more international cast made the characters work.

I wonder if the success of One Piece will tempt someone at Netflix to make an attempt at Naruto.
Kind of hope not, but now slightly intrigued.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So this is my first exposure to one piece.

Man, this show is wacky. From some of the acting to the fight scenes especially being over the top. Sometimes I'm laughing and but other times it borders on being a bit cringe. Not sure if that's what they intended..

Anyways, I am having fun with it so there's that.

Original definitely has a lot of camp

Reactions: Felidae

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've been a One Piece fan for over a decade and it warms my heart seeing so many new people be introduced to the story and characters.

I haven't watched the whole season yet, but I really liked episode 1, and the bits I've seen of later episodes I really enjoyed.

The casting was as spot on as you can get. Everyone involved understood the assignment.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Also I absolutely love how they introduce the bounty posters.

The reveals of characters bounties is always a fun deal for fans of the Manga and anime, and I think it was super clever to have it pop in and the character rip it down.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I had never read or seen any of the anime version of One Piece. Literally had zero knowledge about it except seeing characters in peoples avatars over the years.

Had no desire to watch the show, never been a big anime fan (except dbz and pokemon as a kid). But heard that it was getting praise from one piece fans and just people in general so decided to check it out.

I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next season. I understand why its such a popular ip for so long. I didn't expect there to be as much depth as there was and touching on general societal issues. Luffy is a joy to watch, and the actor does a great job making him so likable.

Overall just found it to be a very fun and enjoyable watch. I'm a sucker for world building and I think they did a great job at that. Really looking forward to exploring the world even more.

Probably wont ever check out the manga/anime because it is not really my style, but I'm happy I checked this out. I started the first episode Friday night and ended up finishing it Saturday afternoon :laugh: Went in thinking I'll just watch the premier and see how it is.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I had never read or seen any of the anime version of One Piece. Literally had zero knowledge about it except seeing characters in peoples avatars over the years.

Had no desire to watch the show, never been a big anime fan (except dbz and pokemon as a kid). But heard that it was getting praise from one piece fans and just people in general so decided to check it out.

I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next season. I understand why its such a popular ip for so long. I didn't expect there to be as much depth as there was and touching on general societal issues. Luffy is a joy to watch, and the actor does a great job making him so likable.

Overall just found it to be a very fun and enjoyable watch. I'm a sucker for world building and I think they did a great job at that. Really looking forward to exploring the world even more.

Probably wont ever check out the manga/anime because it is not really my style, but I'm happy I checked this out. I started the first episode Friday night and ended up finishing it Saturday afternoon :laugh: Went in thinking I'll just watch the premier and see how it is.
The world building keeps getting better and more complex as the story goes. The beginning of the story is very light compared to what comes later.

I have been a fan for decades and they did a really good job if fans are happy and they managed to also get people who don't really know about it interested too.

Reactions: cgf and Leaf Rocket

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I have never really been interested in anime. My friends would try to get me into Dragon Ball Z, Gundam, etc...but I never could dive in.

This show, however, is awesome. I just finished episode 3 or 4, and it keeps getting better. The world building, the characters, the storyline, the 'living on the sea', etc...hits!

I like it a lot, and I hope it continues riding the momentum because it's a fun show to watch.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have never really been interested in anime. My friends would try to get me into Dragon Ball Z, Gundam, etc...but I never could dive in.

This show, however, is awesome. I just finished episode 3 or 4, and it keeps getting better. The world building, the characters, the storyline, the 'living on the sea', etc...hits!

I like it a lot, and I hope it continues riding the momentum because it's a fun show to watch.

And the story in season 1 was pretty basic. Season 2...assuming they go through alabasta...will be more intricate but still pretty traditional. From there, assuming they keep going, things will start to get really wild.

But I've become a huge one piece fan over the past 5-6 years. The story strikes a perfect balance of silly, inspiring, and heartbreaking for me and this adaptation has captured the spirit of the source material even if they've changed some things significantly, like Garp.

The world building keeps getting better and more complex as the story goes. The beginning of the story is very light compared to what comes later.

I have been a fan for decades and they did a really good job if fans are happy and they managed to also get people who don't really know about it interested too.

Yeah, if it gets to a season 3 (through Enies Lobby) and 4 (through Marineford), the world building will really get put on full display.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nearly done with season 1. Man I'm just so impressed at how good this has been done.

Some minor changes I could quip with but honestly I don't mind for the sake of pacing and adapting. The spirit of the story is there and the actors really get their characters.

Love the dude playing Sanji.

I really didn't like Syrup village when I watched the anime. Weakest East Blue arc, but the brisk pace really served it here. Smart to confine the action inside the mansion too.

Also I am so glad they kept Zoro's shitty sense of direction.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And the story in season 1 was pretty basic. Season 2...assuming they go through alabasta...will be more intricate but still pretty traditional. From there, assuming they keep going, things will start to get really wild.

But I've become a huge one piece fan over the past 5-6 years. The story strikes a perfect balance of silly, inspiring, and heartbreaking for me and this adaptation has captured the spirit of the source material even if they've changed some things significantly, like Garp.

Yeah, if it gets to a season 3 (through Enies Lobby) and 4 (through Marineford), the world building will really get put on full display.

No way you have a season 3 of Enies Lobby unless you fully cut Skypiea (which you really can't cut)

I could see a season 3 being Skypeia and Water 7. Season 4 being Enies Lobby and all the wrap up back at Water 7.

Then season 5 of Thriller Bark and Sabody. Season 6 Paramount war (honestly that easily could be two seasons)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Nearly done with season 1. Man I'm just so impressed at how good this has been done.

Some minor changes I could quip with but honestly I don't mind for the sake of pacing and adapting. The spirit of the story is there and the actors really get their characters.

Love the dude playing Sanji.

I really didn't like Syrup village when I watched the anime. Weakest East Blue arc, but the brisk pace really served it here. Smart to confine the action inside the mansion too.

Also I am so glad they kept Zoro's shitty sense of direction.
As someone who hasnt consumed any one piece material before the live action, this was easily my least favourite part of the season and the only time I felt a bit "bored" when watching.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No way you have a season 3 of Enies Lobby unless you fully cut Skypiea (which you really can't cut)

I could see a season 3 being Skypeia and Water 7. Season 4 being Enies Lobby and all the wrap up back at Water 7.

Then season 5 of Thriller Bark and Sabody. Season 6 Paramount war (honestly that easily could be two seasons)

We'll see, but they're moving a lot quicker than that so far and it doesn't sound like they want to slow the pace down. Plus I don't think you can split water-7 and Enies Lobby up over different seasons; just too much a cliffhanger for them not to flow from one right into the other.

My guess on what we'll see;

Season 2
1-2ep Loguetown...with reverse mountain and whiskey peak getting rolled into these episodes.
2-3ep Little Garden & Drum Island
3-4ep Alabasta

Season 3
4ep Jaya/skypeia
4ep Water-7/Enies Lobby...with Long Ring Long Land either getting cut or rolled into these episodes

From there it gets tricky because there's not a good point to break the story up until Marineford, so I could see them doing a 10 episode season...as I doubt they'll spend a whole season on Marineford.

2ep Thriller Bark
3-4ep Sabaody/Amazon Lily/Impel Down
4-5ep Marineford

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As someone who hasnt consumed any one piece material before the live action, this was easily my least favourite part of the season and the only time I felt a bit "bored" when watching.

Syrup village is pretty boring in the original, despite my love of Usopp. When trying to get my sister into OP I told her to just start at Baratie.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Yeah even improved its still pretty weak, and the action doesn't really ramp up again until the restaurant.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00