OT: One more for the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
My wife's ex called CPS on her one time because of a small bruise on my step-daughters arm. She was about 6 I believe.

Why was there a bruise? Because it was her bedtime and she was hiding under the kitchen table. And refused to come out no matter what my wife said, even laughing at her. So my wife did what any sane parent would do, grabbed her arm and pulled her out. Step-daughter didn't even complain or say it hurt.

So CPS came and investigated and didn't find any problems, but they REFUSED to remove it from her record. Absolute ********.

Anyway, if you want advice raising a pre-teen or 11-year old, talk to MM.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's similar to what we did. Our son is almost 15. Starting at about 10, we slowly started to not make special dinners for him. It exposes him to different tastes, and developed his taste buds to know what he likes and doesn't. Now we make him a different meal maybe 1/10 of the time. And over the years we've taught him how to use a microwave, how to cook basic things like Mac n cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich, boil water to make ramen noodles etc.. And how to use a toaster oven. Now, once every 3-4 weeks he makes an entire dinner for the whole family, with a little supervision of course.

I think if some parents don't develop that kitchen independence at an early age they are setting their kids up for microwave dinners and poor eating habits. And that breeds obesity, and health issues as an adult. And who knows, it may also develop a passion to pursue a career in the food or service industry.

My kids are both excellent at breakfast. My nine year old has been making scrambled eggs (one of his personal favs) for a couple of years with minimal supervision. But with the relocation, we gave them jobs -- setting the table, clearing the table, helping with prep for other meals -- as well as helping when we shopped. We've had them out picking and making preserves for a few years too as a way of building appreciation for what they have and what they eat.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Heh. Interesting. I'm sure "Hey CPS, I didn't let my son break something expensive." doesn't fly either, regardless of the "how".

I'm glad my son is only 9. Granted, I'm starting to get the "Dad, let me do this on my own!" type of stuff. The teens are looming.

I was interviewed Monday afternoon and that set my mind at ease after a rough weekend of only knowing that the kids were interviewed and I didn't know why.

I think kids think that CPS is a lot quicker to yank kids than they really are and that they have some power over their parents when they threaten to have CPS called.

I know someone who had CPS called on them around once a week for six months due to ex drama....

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So CPS came and investigated and didn't find any problems, but they REFUSED to remove it from her record. Absolute ********.

I was told that if the findings are that the report is unfounded that it gets sealed.

It will be interesting to see how this one goes.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Seeking some quick advice...

In mid-November, I had surgery to repair a torn ACL and have been out of work since. I've been collecting disability pay as a result.

Just today, I got a call back from a place in which I submitted an application/my resume in the past. We scheduled an interview for tomorrow morning. While I'm not certain of the pay/benefits/etc. that the new place provides just yet, the hours are perfect to compensate my other job as a freelance writer. Should I end up getting/taking it, it puts me in a rather... peculiar situation with my current employer.

I've been collecting disability from said employer. Do I call and put in my two weeks? That doesn't seem ethically correct but I can't pass on a situation in which pay may be better and the hours are definitely better, right? My current place has been good to me over the years. It helped me through college and gave me full-time employment when I needed it. I have no idea what to do.

Anybody have input? All is greatly appreciated.

*Worth noting that I'll be back to work the first week of January.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Seeking some quick advice...

In mid-November, I had surgery to repair a torn ACL and have been out of work since. I've been collecting disability pay as a result.

Just today, I got a call back from a place in which I submitted an application/my resume in the past. We scheduled an interview for tomorrow morning. While I'm not certain of the pay/benefits/etc. that the new place provides just yet, the hours are perfect to compensate my other job as a freelance writer. Should I end up getting/taking it, it puts me in a rather... peculiar situation with my current employer.

I've been collecting disability from said employer. Do I call and put in my two weeks? That doesn't seem ethically correct but I can't pass on a situation in which pay may be better and the hours are definitely better, right? My current place has been good to me over the years. It helped me through college and gave me full-time employment when I needed it. I have no idea what to do.

Anybody have input? All is greatly appreciated.

*Worth noting that I'll be back to work the first week of January.

Ethically it may not be right, but if it's an advancement in both your career and personal life, you do it. The only thing you need to make sure of is that it's legally okay. I don't know what the regulations are when it comes to disability pay and all that, so you should probably look into that before doing anything.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Ethically it may not be right, but if it's an advancement in both your career and personal life, you do it. The only thing you need to make sure of is that it's legally okay. I don't know what the regulations are when it comes to disability pay and all that, so you should probably look into that before doing anything.

Thanks. I'm starting to think it'd be best if I schedule meetings with both my direct supervisor and my building's administrator/hr people to discuss the situation thoroughly. They should know if there are any legal ramifications involved.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Thanks. I'm starting to think it'd be best if I schedule meetings with both my direct supervisor and my building's administrator/hr people to discuss the situation thoroughly. They should know if there are any legal ramifications involved.

if offered the new position maybe tell them the situation and ask for some lead time before you start ?

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Damn, sounds like some sort of Orwellian-stuff going on with the CPS-thing. Don't think it's good to have an organisation that undermines the authority of the parents. Not in the way you seem to describe it.

When i was young i always got in trouble and when i was obnoxious i was always scared ****less by my dad. Got slapped a couple of times, didn't do any harm to me, just a broken ego which i think was good looking back at how ridicoulus i was behaving.

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
So, I'm a mid 40's guy and I've been turning my health around losing weight, running and hit the gym. But, no matter how I try I can't get myself to eat my veggies. I think it's the texture. I force them down from time to time. But, can't get myself to consume them regularly.

So I was doing Christmas shopping and on impulse, I bought one of those nutribullet things they have on tv all the time. I've been using it for a week and I've got to say it's doing it job. I stick broccoli, spinach, kale whatever, with a few blueberries and some carrots and down it goes. It doesn't taste good. But, it doesn't taste awful. Definitely serving its purpose to get some veggies in my diet. I've been taking a big one into work for lunch everyday. It keeps me full and everything in it is healthy.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So, I'm a mid 40's guy and I've been turning my health around losing weight, running and hit the gym. But, no matter how I try I can't get myself to eat my veggies. I think it's the texture. I force them down from time to time. But, can't get myself to consume them regularly.

So I was doing Christmas shopping and on impulse, I bought one of those nutribullet things they have on tv all the time. I've been using it for a week and I've got to say it's doing it job. I stick broccoli, spinach, kale whatever, with a few blueberries and some carrots and down it goes. It doesn't taste good. But, it doesn't taste awful. Definitely serving its purpose to get some veggies in my diet. I've been taking a big one into work for lunch everyday. It keeps me full and everything in it is healthy.

That's awesome. Anyway to get your veggies. I usually sprinkle a real cheese topping, or butter and salt. Especially for the veggies that have a bland flavor. Whatever works.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I am a big fan of roasting cauliflower and broccoli. I hate both in other preparations, but roasting? Roasting is awesome.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Had some fun with QRCodes last night, hence my new avatar. :)

You like pasta? Pour your normal spaghetti sauce in there along with some veggies. Carrots, broc, spinach, whatever. Blend it thoroughly and you won't notice it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh, and spices are your friend. Smoked paprika roasted cauliflower is the best. Turning veggies into julienned noodles also works. More effort but good results can be had.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Well this is embarrassing.

from shop.nhl.com
thumb.aspx

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Snoopy always makes the song pop into my head. I knew a girl in college who said that was her favorite song. I found it rather dull after 3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad