One fans perspective

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'd have a really tough time naming 100 players I would rather have over Toews. I'd probably have a tough time naming 75.

With or without considering cap hit and length of deal?

Consider the cap hit and term and I’m not sure it would be that difficult.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
With or without considering cap hit and length of deal?

Consider the cap hit and term and I’m not sure it would be that difficult.

If you consider the caphit, do you find Toews as 3rd liner as there is 62 better forwards then Toews?

I sincerely hope you dont because there ain’t.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If you consider the caphit, do you find Toews as 3rd liner as there is 62 better forwards then Toews?

I sincerely hope you dont because there ain’t.

I’m not sure I follow what you’re getting at.

Are you comparing Toews to other 3rd liners? If so then yeah he’ll be one of the best 3rd liners in the league... except that whole problem of being paid more than almost everyone else in the whole damn league.

Factoring in cap hit, term, and recent performance and I can come up with a pretty big list of players I’d want from today and going forward.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I’m not sure I follow what you’re getting at.

Are you comparing Toews to other 3rd liners? If so then yeah he’ll be one of the best 3rd liners in the league... except that whole problem of being paid more than almost everyone else in the whole damn league.

Factoring in cap hit, term, and recent performance and I can come up with a pretty big list of players I’d want from today and going forward.

Hawkaholic said that he doesnt think he could pick 100 or even 75 players before Toews. You said you could because Toews caphit. I asked do you view him as 3rd liner because even at that caphit he is still elite 2nd liner at this point and low-end first liner. And there are at least 62 first and second liners in the NHL.

Even at that caphit he is still a forward you take before many other top-6 forwards.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hawkaholic said that he doesnt think he could pick 100 or even 75 players before Toews. You said you could because Toews caphit. I asked do you view him as 3rd liner because even at that caphit he is still elite 2nd liner at this point and low-end first liner. And there are at least 62 first and second liners in the NHL.

Even at that caphit he is still a forward you take before many other top-6 forwards.

I’d still consider him a 2nd liner and a good one at that. The contract is just depressing, though.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I’d still consider him a 2nd liner and a good one at that. The contract is just depressing, though.

Since there are 93 1st liners and Toews is, as you say, a very good 2nd liner --- that would place him easily behind 55-65 forwards. Add the 30-40 D-men you would rather have and the 5-6 goalies you would rather have and Toews is in that #100 player in the league +/- a dozen or so players. But, as you say, he is at the top of the league cost wise... perhaps the most overpaid guy in the league in real dollars. As you say... not so great a deal.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Since there are 93 1st liners and Toews is, as you say, a very good 2nd liner --- that would place him easily behind 55-65 forwards. Add the 30-40 D-men you would rather have and the 5-6 goalies you would rather have and Toews is in that #100 player in the league +/- a dozen or so players. But, as you say, he is at the top of the league cost wise... perhaps the most overpaid guy in the league in real dollars. As you say... not so great a deal.
Toews would be an elite 2nd liner, not a very good one, based off of his stats.
~35th in points per game among C's who took at least 500 faceoofs.

Toews is probably a better all around player than at least 5-10 of those players, IMO. So let's say he is a top 30 C (qualified as a player who takes more than 500 draws/year)

IMO, he is still a top line C, who just needs a couple of top line players for an entire year to boost his production, like most top line Cs have on their respective teams.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
TSN lists have always been dumb. Toews needs to be much better. His ranking means nothing to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad