Ondrej Pavelec [MOD: see warning in the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
[...]Not sure why combine two years together. [...]

Few reasons:

-It's his entire contract less the lockout-shortened season (I don't like the lockout-shortened season--Pavelec himself was drastically overplayed but the whole league was a mess)
-It's around 3000 shots against (some say that's a significant threshold for goalies), specifically his most recent
-It's his worst year and his best
-I could look at other goalies in the league without having to look up if/when they were starting, etc.
-Brodeur

In any case you don't need to agree. I'm mostly just saying that he's not paid very much for the low level he performs at.

We can agree that we're both hoping for big things this year. :handclap:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Few reasons:

-It's his entire contract less the lockout-shortened season (I don't like the lockout-shortened season--Pavelec himself was drastically overplayed but the whole league was a mess)
-It's around 3000 shots against (some say that's a significant threshold for goalies), specifically his most recent
-It's his worst year and his best
-I could look at other goalies in the league without having to look up if/when they were starting, etc.
-Brodeur

In any case you don't need to agree. I'm mostly just saying that he's not paid very much for the low level he performs at.

We can agree that we're both hoping for big things this year. :handclap:

Wishing him well and cheering him on - YES.

But I am not on the page of the bolded. He has looked a lot like a $1M goaltender for the majority of the time under his $3.9M avg annual salary contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wishing him well and cheering him on - YES.

But I am not on the page of the bolded. He has looked a lot like a $1M goaltender for the majority of the time under his $3.9M avg annual salary contract.

Worth noting that actual salary this year is 4.25 and next year it is 4.75 but Evil didn't say it was a good contract either. He just provided some context. The least you could take from that is that we are far from having the worst goalie contract. Not only are there quite a few goalies playing below their pay level quite a few of them are being paid more than Pav.

White Out 403*

Ondrej has safely landed back to his career 908. After his 14 game hot streak to end the season last year he went sub 900 in the post season and is 908 so far this year. For those keeping track.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If one game makes the difference between 0.916 and 0.908, it doesn't mean much.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ondrej has safely landed back to his career 908. After his 14 game hot streak to end the season last year he went sub 900 in the post season and is 908 so far this year. For those keeping track.

Wait, so you're saying Pav isn't a very good goalie?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

It's going to get a lot worse. Pavelec traditionally regresses around mid November. I remember last year he went four months without beating a playoff bound team.

I think they should ride Hutch. If that doesn't work, then we should play the franchise goalie- Connor Hellebuyck. It would be nice to see Helle play 50 games, and go 33-12-5, with a 0.933%

The alternative is Chevy stubbornly sticking with Pavs, and watching him flirt with the 0.905% mark until March.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Is there any feasible scenario without an injury where Hellybuck gets called up?

Pav has not played bad. What's obvious though; is that just like so often in 2.0 era goaltending is not a position of strength of this team...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is there any feasible scenario without an injury where Hellybuck gets called up?

Pav has not played bad. What's obvious though; is that just like so often in 2.0 era goaltending is not a position of strength of this team...

Its been a strength, maybe our only strength until the last 2 games. Two games. That is 2 games when the team in front of them gave up odd man rush and breakaway after odd man rush and breakaway.

I don't want to give up on Pav until he gets his sv% back up to a tradeable level. :) Come on Pav! You can do this! :nod:

Derfel*

Pavelec is in the middle of his usual slump in November. Unfortunately, Hutchinson has shown he is capable of stinking even worse in games as well.

So it leaves us with little options, unless one of the goalies can get back on track again.

White Out 403*

Pavelec is in the middle of his usual slump in November. Unfortunately, Hutchinson has shown he is capable of stinking even worse in games as well.

So it leaves us with little options, unless one of the goalies can get back on track again.

You keeping harping on Hutch for one game but his numbers this year are far and away better than pavelecs. I'm not sure what you're getting at... do we not play hutch morfe because of one single game, even tho he has a far better save %>

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

I think it is safe to say no one is going to run pavs and risk injuring him, so that the jets call up Helly

Derfel*

You keeping harping on Hutch for one game but his numbers this year are far and away better than pavelecs. I'm not sure what you're getting at... do we not play hutch morfe because of one single game, even tho he has a far better save %>

Your definition of "far and away" is interesting.

White Out 403*

Your definition of "far and away" is interesting.

Hutch career save % is 918
Pavs careers save % is 908

Hutch this year is 928
Pavs this year is 908

I don't know how else to describe that gulf.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don't fault Pav for that one. Can't blame Hutch for Montreal. Too many defensive breakdowns in both cases. Last night the score was only 2 goals close because of scoring effects - they were sitting on their 4 goal lead in the third.

I'm not praising Pav for last night, I'm just saying that the Jets have to stop expecting the goal tenders to bail them out for games where we are severely out talented.

White Out 403*

Pavelec career: 139-146-44
Hutch career: 27-12-6

We should play the goalie who gives us the best shot of winning.

Should be noted too that those numbers are basically entirely with the same franchise. Not like hutch racked up all those wins with the Hawks or something.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Needed a couple of saves last night. Didn't get them and it seemed the team folded for awhile after that. That 2nd breakaway we had to get a save and we didn't. Plain and simple. We had a lot more problems and up until the past few games goaltending wasn't one of them. Time to start rotating more.

Derfel*

Hutch wins more than he loses! Pavs loses more than he wins! :dunno:

Pavelec has played 8 times as many games as Hutchinson in the NHL.

Not making an argument either way, but sample size means something.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Hutch wins more than he loses! Pavs loses more than he wins! :dunno:

If we played Hutch more do we really think he'd suddenly win all these games? I mean he didn't prove he was any better the last half of last season. This whole wins and losses thing is just silly.

White Out 403*

Pavelec has played 8 times as many games as Hutchinson in the NHL.

Not making an argument either way, but sample size means something.

You keep talking about sample size but I feel like if you really respected sample size you'd want Pavelec gone. Am I misunderstanding you?

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
If we played Hutch more do we really think he'd suddenly win all these games? I mean he didn't prove he was any better the last half of last season. This whole wins and losses thing is just silly.

I believe we would win more if we played Hutch more, and the stats, numbers and such show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad