Value of: Ondrej Palat

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I could see this, maybe move Killorn to make room.
I think Jon Cooper loves both of those guys like his own children, but, gun to his head, he will advise JBB to move Killorn if it means we can keep Palat. And then we get a return rather than losing Palat for nothing.

To me, that seems like the way this will go.

Of course, if somebody throws 6x6 at Palat, that will obviously throw a wrench into things.

Even if they could find a way to make it work this year, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot next year when Serg, Cernak, and Cirelli all need extensions. I don't think Briesbois is that dumb.
I think we're trying to win as many cups as we can and the future can go fxxx itself.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think we're trying to win as many cups as we can and the future can go fxxx itself.
Seems the best method of prolonging your window wouldn't be to sign a 31 year old winger that'll cost you either your 26 year old center or your 24 year old defender, both of whom are better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes, I'd take Cirelli or Sergachev over Palat.

Especially when you consider both are entering their primes and Palat is in his early 30s.
For their career? Yes. But if you're trying to win a cup in a single season, and that's the position we are in, Palat is still the most important of the three.

I think we will find a way to keep the minimize our losses, the way we always do. But we also, especially in recent years, will ice the best possible team even if it's going to put us in a tough spot the following year.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For their career? Yes. But if you're trying to win a cup in a single season, and that's the position we are in, Palat is still the most important of the three.

I think we will find a way to keep the minimize our losses, the way we always do. But we also, especially in recent years, will ice the best possible team even if it's going to put us in a tough spot the following year.

That window prolongs nicely if you have a second wave core of Point/Sergachev/Cirelli in tact as Stamkos/Kucherov/Hedman age. Not so much if it just ends up being Point. And it's way easier to replace a winger than a defenseman or center.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That window prolongs nicely if you have a second wave core of Point/Sergachev/Cirelli in tact as Stamkos/Kucherov/Vasi/Hedman age. Not so much if it just ends up being Point. And it's way easier to replace a winger than a defenseman or center.
I think we will deal with that problem when it's on our doorstep, same as always. But the goal for next season will be to ice the best possible team.

Palat very well might walk. And I would congratulate him on getting the money he deserves. But I also don't think we're just gonna nod and wave and let him go. He's been such a key factor in all of our success.

I think we are going to see JBB do what he's been doing for a few years -- he doesn't pay for players in trades; he pays for contracts. So I think we will overpay for guys who aren't quite rentals on good contracts, like we did with Coleman, Goodrow, and Hagel.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Imo Tampa finds a way to keep him. I could see a long term contract that keeps his AAV down

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If he feels it's unlikely, it's a lot less likely with $5M tied up in Palat...
And they would then have a quality top 6 winger still for several more years, instead of 0. It's possible they've already decided to go the route of keeping all 4 main rfas after next year, but if not, keeping Palat and gaining several assets back in exchange for Killorn and let's say Serg can not only reload Tampa in some futures/young playable NHL talent, but helps them navigate the cap a little more easily until it starts to go up more than 1 million a year. I'm sure some of the decision will also come down to how much they believe Serg will want, as.if he's asking for more than 6.5 tops then he's likely getting moved. Tampa won't sacrifice other key young pieces to overpay Sergachev, much rather get 3 good assets/futures for him if that's the case.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Prolonging the window means going forward with the younger RFA's who have room to improve, not anchoring the team down for 1-2 good years of Palat. This might make sense if Palat was the only one we did it for but McDonagh is signed till his late 30's, Stamkos and Hedman will almost certainly be re-signed and those contracts will age in as well.

They're not going to give up their core of Cirelli, Serg and Cernak going forward for Palat, if that's the case they would've most certainly done so last year to keep the Gourde line which was gaining much more hype than Palat is right now. JBB clearly choose youth and a prolonged window over "win now" just last season so your example doesn't really make sense, or did you forgot Palat himself was exposed to Seattle last year?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Not sure what that center depth is like without Cirelli.

Tampa would be keeping Stamkos at center and hope both he and Point stay healthy while they continue to scrounge for two bottom six centers.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
He is the mortar of Tampa's brick wall. He was a monster on the boards and defending. Modern day Hossa. He covered down so Kucherov could cherry pick and spread out our coverage so Fox and Miller couldn't jump into the play on offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad