Value of: Ondrej Palat

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This was the sort of player who was getting 6x6 type deals in 2016, but teams have wised up about giving 31 y/o 50-point players retirement contracts.

I'd guess Palat gets 3-4 years at $4-5 million AAV. I doubt TB keeps him and I'd bet he goes to a middling team trying to turn a corner (NJ, Philly).

Reactions: CanuckCity

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That's kinda counterproductive and causes more cap issues next year. Honestly wouldn't hate moving Sergachev though, his talents are kind of wasted on Tampa's 3rd pair.
Not if you think Palat is the better player. Killorn is also UFA in a year so essentially your picking one over the other. Can they resign Killorn next year? Maybe do they want to? if you consider them even then Moving Killorn nets you an asset while letting Palat walk gets you nothing.
Sergachev is interesting situation. Do you think they'd consider moving McDonough to let him move up?

This was the sort of player who was getting 6x6 type deals in 2016, but teams have wised up about giving 31 y/o 50-point players retirement contracts.

I'd guess Palat gets 3-4 years at $4-5 million AAV. I doubt TB keeps him and I'd bet he goes to a middling team trying to turn a corner (NJ, Philly).
This is probably true, especially with the flat cap. As ducks fan Id offer him 3x5

Ledge And Dairy

Not if you think Palat is the better player. Killorn is also UFA in a year so essentially your picking one over the other. Can they resign Killorn next year? Maybe do they want to? if you consider them even then Moving Killorn nets you an asset while letting Palat walk gets you nothing.
Sergachev is interesting situation. Do you think they'd consider moving McDonough to let him move up?
You are missing the point. Tampa doesn't really have a cap crunch this year but next year they do. If the plan is to keep palat then yes Killorn will be gone but they will still need cap relief for next year. Killorn and McDonagh also have clauses. Sergy doesnt. I imagine quite a few teams would be listening if Sergy was made available. STL, NYI, and LAK seem like obvious ones, DET too.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
You are missing the point. Tampa doesn't really have a cap crunch this year but next year they do. If the plan is to keep palat then yes Killorn will be gone but they will still need cap relief for next year. Killorn and McDonagh also have clauses. Sergy doesnt. I imagine quite a few teams would be listening if Sergy was made available. STL, NYI, and LAK seem like obvious ones, DET too.
I mean sure, but they have kind of always addressed their cap issue on a year by year basis. Unless you're suggesting they let Palat walk and trade Killorn to make room in for the next year. You're probably right about Sergy. Didn't realize McDonagh was a full NTC. probably a good way to get an influx of some young talent too.

Ledge And Dairy

I mean sure, but they have kind of always addressed their cap issue on a year by year basis. Unless you're suggesting they let Palat walk and trade Killorn to make room in for the next year. You're probably right about Sergy. Didn't realize McDonagh was a full NTC. probably a good way to get an influx of some young talent too.
I think after his performance this post season they have to keep Palat at almost all costs. Moving Killorn is kinda just pushing the boulder down the road a bit further. Moving Sergy while his deal is still cheap would maximize value. I could see something around like Wahlstrom and S. Bolduc for Sergy being a good trade for both teams

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think after his performance this post season they have to keep Palat at almost all costs. Moving Killorn is kinda just pushing the boulder down the road a bit further. Moving Sergy while his deal is still cheap would maximize value. I could see something around like Wahlstrom and S. Bolduc for Sergy being a good trade for both teams
I can see the logic in moving Serg. As for killorn, I'd push the Boulder and see how things change next summer. Does the cap increase? How does the market change? Keep the guy you want more and figure out next year's cap next year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think TB will offer him a lifer contract. Something that will get him to retirement, but we will probably ask him to take a small paycut.

That doesn't make sense for either side, you don't hold onto and especially don't give out 7-8 year contracts to 31 year old non-core players. Palat would have to take a massive discount too considering how his last 2 years have gone, I can't see him taking under 5M on his last big contract in the league.

Trading Killorn to make room for 1 year of Palat doesn't make sense either, you hold Killorn for his last year considering the extreme value he brings at 4.45m (59 points this season) and then move on from both of them the year after. Tampa has 3 players making 9.5m or more next season and 5 players above 7.5m, while Cirelli, Colton, Sergachev, and Cernak come up for re-signing the year after.

Reactions: The Macho King

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

No cap crunch? I’m confused. They’re already 2 million over the cap next year without signing Paul or Palat.

Hedmonster Bolt

Les Paul Goon Life
May 8, 2018
Largo,Fl
I hope Pally stays, doubt it. I do think Sergy could go, Bolts are high on Perbix. Could he be packaged with Killer, that would help the cap issue and prospect pool.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think TB will offer him a lifer contract. Something that will get him to retirement, but we will probably ask him to take a small paycut.

I could see this, maybe move Killorn to make room.

Tampa finds a way to keep him

Even if they could find a way to make it work this year, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot next year when Serg, Cernak, and Cirelli all need extensions. I don't think Briesbois is that dumb.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Even if they could find a way to make it work this year, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot next year when Serg, Cernak, and Cirelli all need extensions. I don't think Briesbois is that dumb.
Not dumb at all. If JBB feels that keeping all of the rfas is unlikely after next year even with Palat and Killorn gone, better to trade Killorn for value this Summer, extend Palat(if be feels Palat is the better option between the 2 moving forward), and trade one of the big 3 rfas either now or after '22-'23(probably Serg but could be one of the others) for a great return. Tampa could trade/sign a 3LD, and with the assets obtained from the trades, likely have a young quality F ready to go and restock a couple draft picks. They could also let Palat walk this summer and Killorn the next while keeping all the rfas(provided they work with the team on numbers some); however, going this route will require Tampa to feel confident that at least a couple of Syracuse guys are ready to be regular contributors by '23-'24(certainly possible) or go out and find a couple more very cheap contracts to sign/trade.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not dumb at all. If JBB feels that keeping all of the rfas is unlikely after next year even with Palat and Killorn gone, better to trade Killorn for value this Summer, extend Palat(if be feels Palat is the better option between the 2 moving forward), and trade one of the big 3 rfas either now or after '22-'23(probably Serg but could be one of the others) for a great return. Tampa could trade/sign a 3LD, and with the assets obtained from the trades, likely have a young quality F ready to go and restock a couple draft picks. They could also let Palat walk this summer and Killorn the next while keeping all the rfas(provided they work with the team on numbers some); however, going this route will require Tampa to feel confident that at least a couple of Syracuse guys are ready to be regular contributors by '23-'24(certainly possible) or go out and find a couple more very cheap contracts to sign/trade.

If he feels it's unlikely, it's a lot less likely with $5M tied up in Palat...

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would love him on the Ducks. Would be a great line-mate for Zegras. Anaheim has the cap to outbid almost anyone. I know his name has been thrown out there by the Ducks writers.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
New Jersey makes too much sense here. They need wings and are a young team that could benefit from having a multiple Cup winner in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad