Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Bet the offer was the Paul deal. That leak about Palat being willing to take the Paul deal makes more sense if they had who wanted it backwards.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I gotta say I'm shocked we didn't bring him back. Had a great playoffs. He's been a important player on our top line for years. Stirs the drink as Cooper says. Wonder how he feels about this as pally was his boy. I understand his age but he is one of those guys who has life in him for a few more years in his 30s. Yea to replace him with names is just foolish unless they have another plan we are unaware of.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I feel that letting him walk and get his bag was the right thing to do for both the club and him. He is always a solid two-way player but really had a "meh" regular season. Sure, he stepped up in the playoffs but I can't tell you how frustrating it was to watch so many high danger offensive chances die on his stick throughout the year. I never let the recency bias of his playoff performance take away from what my eyes watched all season. I love Drej but it was just time to move on. He got paid a little more than what he's worth and I'm happy for him but any contract he may have signed with the Bolts wouldn't have even sniffed that amount.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Made a tribute to Palat today called "Ballin in the Club"

Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
Yeah

Uh girl I'm going crazy for ya
It ain't the way you walk
It ain't the way you talk
It must be the magic in the air

Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
Yeah

Yeah

@Stammertime91 lyrical genius bay bay.

Alright with that meme out of the way I'll do a real one soon

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah....Yeah I'll be gone but not forgotten
Shout to my boy T.
We ran that shit son

Uh... Yeah I went straight for the party
I came up with Coop but I ran with Marty
Me and T got it started
Gone but not forgotten, always regarded
I'll f*** up your night like a Star Wars sequel
They forgot about Drej becomes a paradox unequalled
The man of the hour the man of the people
I'm running with the Devil because he couldn't get enough of this evil

Move your hips and shake it a bit
Take a sip get this Sweet Caroline on your lips
Boat parades all day getting ripped
Pack your shit we going on a trip
I'll be spitting rhymes like pop rocks
Breaking your deadlocks
Breaking out the box, all unorthodox
I'll kick the shit nonstop

I'll be gone but not forgotten

After going back to back
I gotta make my fat stacks
Took the gravy train off the tracks
Took it to the max
Never gonna take this down
Together we made this town
They'll never take this crown
And if you can just look at me now

Just look at me now. We ran that shit son

@Stammertime91 alright maybe not my best effort but not bad for a lunch break. Was gonna bring up quantum physics and mechanics but ran out of time

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Yeah....Yeah I'll be gone but not forgotten
Shout to my boy T.
We ran that shit son

Uh... Yeah I went straight for the party
I came up with Coop but I ran with Marty
Me and T got it started
Gone but not forgotten, always regarded
I'll f*** up your night like a Star Wars sequel
They forgot about Drej becomes a paradox unequalled
The man of the hour the man of the people
I'm running with the Devil because he couldn't get enough of this evil

Move your hips and shake it a bit
Take a sip get this Sweet Caroline on your lips
Boat parades all day getting ripped
Pack your shit we going on a trip
I'll be spitting rhymes like pop rocks
Breaking your deadlocks
Breaking out the box, all unorthodox
I'll kick the shit nonstop

I'll be gone but not forgotten

After going back to back
I gotta make my fat stacks
Took the gravy train off the tracks
Took it to the max
Never gonna take this down
Together we made this town
They'll never take this crown
And if you can just look at me now

Just look at me now. We ran that shit son

@Stammertime91 alright maybe not my best effort but not bad for a lunch break. Was gonna bring up quantum physics and mechanics but ran out of time
Welcome to HLE Records.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know - I would believe it actually, seems reminiscent of McDonagh agent's remarks. How McDonagh didn't want to leave and at first wanted to fight it but it became clear accepting was only path forward. I have a hard time believing Palat wouldn't have re-signed with Tampa at lower AAV/term to stay with the only team he's ever known and with that article about his family and hometown that came out during the finals. This guy was Tampa through and through.

BriseBois doesn't seem the sentimental type, which is how I perceived Yzerman with his time here, or maybe he learned it from Yzerman.

Understand it's a business but when it's dealing with players that are fan favorites and still good and useful, it really sucks. And really gets frustrating when it seems like BriseBois wants to play hardball on one end and then is pretty accommodating on 2 of then 3 RFA deals when the cap isn't increasing substantially anytime real soon.
It makes no sense just continuing to subtract offense with no plan to replace it. . Any team has to bring brew young blood in. But the young guys he has concentrated on will not bolster scoring. Is he thinking he can have the best goalie in the world and put at good defense in front of him and expect a deep run he’s sadly mistaken. The secondary scoring is really weak on this roster. If we lose Kuch, Point or Stammer for a lengthy period there in trouble.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It makes no sense just continuing to subtract offense with no plan to replace it. . Any team has to bring brew young blood in. But the young guys he has concentrated on will not bolster scoring. Is he thinking he can have the best goalie in the world and put at good defense in front of him and expect a deep run he’s sadly mistaken. The secondary scoring is really weak on this roster. If we lose Kuch, Point or Stammer for a lengthy period there in trouble.

It's called a salary cap....why do you think we're losing talent in the first place, not sure why you think it's so easy to add young, cheap, scorers.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It's called a salary cap....why do you think we're losing talent in the first place, not sure why you think it's so easy to add young, cheap, scorers.
That is not what I mean. The point is we had committed too many huge contracts that is why we are against the cap and can not provide depth scoring. I am not say these players are overpaid either it’s just we have too many of them. We do not have players in the pipeline now that can fill the roster out depth scoring. Cap increases are not going to fix this nor is trading Killorn which will probably happen when the two on IR return to the line up.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
That is not what I mean. The point is we had committed too many huge contracts that is why we are against the cap and can not provide depth scoring. I am not say these players are overpaid either it’s just we have too many of them. We do not have players in the pipeline now that can fill the roster out depth scoring. Cap increases are not going to fix this nor is trading Killorn which will probably happen when the two on IR return to the line up.
Yeah, they're going to trade a 25 goal scoring, near 60 point player from last year in December, sure, that'll fix the problems....If they had wanted to trade Killorn, he would've been moved at the draft or soon thereafter. He had a terrible playoffs, but he's still one of the best secondary scoring options they have. Only chance he gets moved is at the tdl, and if that happens, Tampa's season is likely lost anyway.

Hockey4Life18

Jul 27, 2022
Palat was incredibly clutch last night. Playoff version activated. He was a monster all night, but especially on that PK during which he created magic. We certainly missed him tremendously versus Toronto. One wonders what our all-time playoff OT goal scorer would have done in the three titanic OT failures. Personally, I will be jumping on the NJD bandwagon to cheer for this Tampa legend.

Last edited:

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
As much as I love Palat, I'm not sure we get to the playoffs with him instead of Hagel in the line up, he was really bad during the regular season. Good to see him contribute now in the playoffs though, hopefully he can keep it up!

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
As much as I love Palat, I'm not sure we get to the playoffs with him instead of Hagel in the line up, he was really bad during the regular season. Good to see him contribute now in the playoffs though, hopefully he can keep it up!
Devils fan here. While it's true he wasn't good during the regular season (compared to expectations) he also got injured in October and had to get groin surgery. It always take time to recover from those things.

He more than made up for it with last night alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00