Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We get him at 3 million for this cup window though, 3 million is nothing to get rid of if he falls off a cliff in a few years.

Is that what we're gonna say about Paul? Dude's got the whole trade/movement clause thing loaded to the gills. I don't hate Palat. I just don't understand why a 3/4 year deal at $4-6 million has to be a unicorn contract unless you're a Tampa RFA taking a discount. Players either sign 1-2 years for nothing just to even get a meal on their table, or 8 year mega deals, or 30 year olds cutting a deal that lasts til they're 37.

Palat could have signed for Paul's AAV for 4 years any time he wanted. No one made him do otherwise and I get cashing out. He doesn't owe us any favors. But the way contracts are being done is breaking the system

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Is that what we're gonna say about Paul? Dude's got the whole trade/movement clause thing loaded to the gills. I don't hate Palat. I just don't understand why a 3/4 year deal at $4-6 million has to be a unicorn contract unless you're a Tampa RFA taking a discount. Players either sign 1-2 years for nothing just to even get a meal on their table, or 8 year mega deals, or 30 year olds cutting a deal that lasts til they're 37.

Palat could have signed for Paul's AAV for 4 years any time he wanted. No one made him do otherwise and I get cashing out. He doesn't owe us any favors. But the way contracts are being done is breaking the system

I'd say it about Paul, too. With the way you can hide contracts in the minors the closer you get get to league minimum the exponentially more easy it is to hide or find a willing trade partner.

I'd say just because it's standard to offer mega deals or 1-2 year barely hanging on contracts, doesn't mean that is the way we have to operate. A long term, low AAV contract gives Palat some financial security while also making it much easier on our short term AAV, and also gives us an out once it's time to move on.

In 4 years time, if Palat is making 3 million on our third line, is that going to cripple us? I don't think so

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He prefaced it saying it was a rumor and he heard it second hand so wouldn't put much stock into that.

Reactions: More 2004

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I didn't even realize that Palat has been basically healthy all the time for the past 3 years. I still thought of him as an injury prone guy and thus didn't like the term of that deal for the Devils.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
In no particular order Stammer, Hagel, Killorn, Paul, Names could all play LW. Stammer, Paul, Names also center with Cirelli out to start the season. It’s gonna be interesting what will stick.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm pretty sure jon cooper would double crotch chop JBB if that rumor were true. It might have been if we had offered him Nick Paul term, maybe at his current number, he would have stayed. There's just no way we would let Ondrej Palat walk if he were willing to settle for 3.15. Even if that contract goes bad... it's 3.15. But you get at least a couple more years of contention.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Palat got 30 million and that is what he earned man. He needs to get that one last big contract.

Now Palat has gone.

Your No 1. LW has gone.

What is the next step?

1) Sign a FA LW to replace him? (Vlad was signed but he is more like a RW)

2) Bump Stammer to 1LW?

3) Bump Hagel to 1LW?

4) Trust Barre-Boulet?
Honestly I would love to See Names Point Kucherov
Stamkos Celly Hagel/ABB if he proves he can skate with them
Kilhorn Paul Colton/Perry
Maroon Belly Perry/Colton
Nash/ABb extras

Imagine if we could have traded Kilhorn for Patches :P

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If that rumor is true, we did Palat dirty. Inexcusable.
I mean - Tampa doesn't leak so it didn't come from us. If it came from anyone it was Palat's camp.

I doubt it was a "Nick Paul" contract, but rather something in the 7 year range with lower AAV. Maybe it was 7 and 4.5 or some shit.

Don't really know. But I also don't think even if it was that exact contract we did Palat dirty. We know that there were discussions, which were probably in the vein of "what sort of term and dollars are you looking for and we'll see if we can make that work on our end." I doubt there was even a formal offer at any point.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

If you're going to knock $3M off a player's salary, you better throw them a bone on term.

I'm all for loyalty, but Palat would be a fool if he signed for $3M for 4 years.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly the system is fine. The system is basically "never sign UFAs for more than a year or two." When is the last UFA that Tampa signed to a 3+ year contract that wasn't just a re-signing? Stralman?

The UFA market is where bad GMs operate. The trade market/draft is where good GMs operate.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
If that rumor is true, we did Palat dirty. Inexcusable for a guy who has given so much to TB and still has a lot to give.
I don't know - I would believe it actually, seems reminiscent of McDonagh agent's remarks. How McDonagh didn't want to leave and at first wanted to fight it but it became clear accepting was only path forward. I have a hard time believing Palat wouldn't have re-signed with Tampa at lower AAV/term to stay with the only team he's ever known and with that article about his family and hometown that came out during the finals. This guy was Tampa through and through.

BriseBois doesn't seem the sentimental type, which is how I perceived Yzerman with his time here, or maybe he learned it from Yzerman.

Understand it's a business but when it's dealing with players that are fan favorites and still good and useful, it really sucks. And really gets frustrating when it seems like BriseBois wants to play hardball on one end and then is pretty accommodating on 2 of then 3 RFA deals when the cap isn't increasing substantially anytime real soon.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
In a recent interview for CZ newspaper, he said there was just one offer from Tampa, which was pretty bad. And based on that offer it was clear to him GM prefers younger players which he understands.
Thanks for the info, sound like that offer was never out there from Palat

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I just read Smith's article/interview on the Athletic, where Palat said "“I was sad, I’m not going to lie, leaving Tampa after 10 years,”, but that there wasn't any official offer for him, even if they looked into creative options and that both sides understood they couldn't fit him within the cap, so no hard feelings.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I just read Smith's article/interview on the Athletic, where Palat said "“I was sad, I’m not going to lie, leaving Tampa after 10 years,”, but that there wasn't any official offer for him, even if they looked into creative options and that both sides understood they couldn't fit him within the cap, so no hard feelings.
Make it stop. We're dead already.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
His statement from the Czech newspaper:
"I got an offer, just one, and it wasn't good at all. It wasn't even worth considering. So I understood from that that Tampa didn't want me and wanted to go another way."
Obviously very, very disappointed with Tampa's attitude..

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
His statement from the Czech newspaper:
"I got an offer, just one, and it wasn't good at all. It wasn't even worth considering. So I understood from that that Tampa didn't want me and wanted to go another way."
Obviously very, very disappointed with Tampa's attitude..
Source?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad