Olympics vs World Cup

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Uhm, tv networks?
I don't care about t.v networks or global audiences, I care about the best players playing.

Last olympics for hockey were meaningless without the best players and the last World cup was a joke.

I want top quality best on best hockey, that is all.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't care about t.v networks or global audiences, I care about the best players playing.

Last olympics for hockey were meaningless without the best players and the last World cup was a joke.

I want top quality best on best hockey, that is all.

It's a good thing that kind of thinking isn't popular, otherwise the concept of sport would be dead.

Reactions: adamnowek

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
A World Cup has the potential to be much, much better than the Olympic tournament could ever be. Prime time games played in hockey mad venues around the world culminating in a World Cup Final would be incredible.
prime time games

&

venues around the world

tenor.gif

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Olympics. World Cup is just a gimmicky money grab for the NHL.

Has to be the Olympics,the WC is a joke,like an all star game.

The only joke about the 2018 Olympic hockey tournament was Team Finland's play and coaching. It still got more worldwide coverage than the 2016 Joke Cup.
All the same criticism again. Canada Cup/World Cup has a long tradition and is far more worth following than nonsense tournaments like the World Championship or the latest Olympics.

Comparing the World Cup with an all star game is simply stupid. They should just return to the old format with 6 teams in a round-robin. No more Germany or Slovakia that even can't stand a chance.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
All the same criticism again. Canada Cup/World Cup has a long tradition and is far more worth following than nonsense tournaments like the World Championship or the latest Olympics.

Comparing the World Cup with an all star game is simply stupid. They should just return to the old format with 6 teams in a round-robin. No more Germany or Slovakia that even can't stand a chance.

World Championships and Olympics have a far longer history and tradition.

Come on just admit it, you'd rather watch US and Canada play 50 games against each other and wouldn't care if nobody outside of Canada watched a single game.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
A long tradition don't justify playing it with B-grade players. World Championships was de facto a European Championship until the 70's. Until late 80's/early 90's it stop being a something the Soviets won. Now it is just a dull thing. The same thing could be said of the Olympics without the NHL:ers.

Why would I want to watch US and Canada. I would like to see the Big Six face each other. The main thing is that best-on-best hockey comes back.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It's really absurd to see some NHL fan boys so concerned about the fact that the Olympics stop the NHL season for a couple of weeks once in four years.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think you're doing a great disservice to the whole idea of sports by saying it diminishes the value of competition if the best are not playing. That is the equivalent of saying the SC finals don't count because team X isn't playing there. Do you really not understand that people might actually want to see athletes competing for an Olympic Gold, no matter their names, no matter the sport? If I was an athlete, I'd slap you silly for undervaluing the nature of sports.

Bizarre post, but anyway it obviously diminishes the value of a competition if the quality of the players is low. Many defenders of the Olympics are aware of this however if they consider the status of the Olympic soccer tournament, but that is inconvenient to acknowledge so they ignore it or hand wave it away. Your comparison is horrible since the Stanley Cup has nearly all of the world's best players competing for it, first in the regular season and then with those results considered in the playoffs until the finals.

Your question of whether I can understand people wanting to watch something is irrelevant as to whether the tournament was a joke or not. People want to watch all kinds of things that are unimportant.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's a good thing that kind of thinking isn't popular, otherwise the concept of sport would be dead.
Talk about exaggeration and bleeding heart hyperbole.

I am not nor need to be the mother theresa of hockey fans, i don't care whether the game grows or not, it's been fine the way it is all my life.

I just want to see the best players compete, I don't want second tier and I simply do not care what some once every four year fan thinks.

You can think as you wish, I will think as I wish.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's really absurd to see some NHL fan boys so concerned about the fact that the Olympics stop the NHL season for a couple of weeks once in four years.
Is it any more absurd then European WHC fanboys telling North American fans what the N.H.L should do when the WHC is held in Europe every year?

And your players get rich playing in the N.H.L, if they want to play in the olympics so badly they are free to play in another league.

All this blame from European fans that is targeted only at the N.H.L when every single player playing in the N.H.L could be playing in the olympics if they so chose. But they don't because the biggest priority for them is the money, just like the N.H.L owners interest is about the money.

Cry me a river fellas.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Is it any more absurd then European WHC fanboys telling North American fans what the N.H.L should do when the WHC is held in Europe every year?

And your players get rich playing in the N.H.L, if they want to play in the olympics so badly they are free to play in another league.

Cry me a river fellas.

What's more absurd is North Americans complaining about the Worlds always being held in Europe despite several times being told by Europeans that neither US nor Canada want to host it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
What's more absurd is North Americans complaining about the Worlds always being held in Europe despite several times being told by Europeans that neither US nor Canada want to host it.

That's true, but I imagine a lot of established IIHF sponsors wouldn't like it either.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's been explained to death why they don't bid on it and they are legitimate reasons. I don't see Europeans complaining about it despite their protestations of "wanting to grow the game" and "concept of sport" and 'fairness"

They just rag on the N.H.L, it's a hobby for you guys.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
In over 40 years of following hockey I've never known a significant amount of North Americans to even care about the Worlds; this hasn't been evidenced every year for generations

The rabid nationalism over lesser tournaments is not something you in North America like you do in Europe/Russia

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
In over 40 years of following hockey I've never known a significant amount of North Americans to even care about the Worlds; this hasn't been evidenced every year for generations

The rabid nationalism over lesser tournaments is not something you in North America like you do in Europe/Russia
And yet Canadians are so "rabidly nationalistic" about an even lesser tournament, the World Junior Championship.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Come on just admit it, you'd rather watch US and Canada play 50 games against each other and wouldn't care if nobody outside of Canada watched a single game.
I've not seen this viewpoint among North Americans (they want "best-on-best" and they know that involves more than the US and Canada when it comes to hockey...it's more than two but it's definitely not the 12-16 teams that the Olympics/Worlds involves)

I have seen many Europeans/Russians express the viewpoint you're attributing to North Americans (many say they only care about their own leagues/international competition, they hate the NHL, they only follow players from their own country, etc) - you're projecting

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
And yet Canadians are so "rabidly nationalistic" about an even lesser tournament, the World Junior Championship.
I don't watch the Worlds myself (I don't recall ever watching it)

I've never understood the appeal of the WJC myself (I think in Canada it connects a lot to it's played during the holiday season when kids are not in school)

Also, for me there's a big difference between media hype and fans rabid nationalism

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
The idea that we don't see "nationalism" (your words) from Canadians when it comes to hockey is certainly a... ummm... interesting take.:huh:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
The idea that we don't see "nationalism" (your words) from Canadians when it comes to hockey is certainly a... ummm... interesting take.:huh:
I said rabid nationalism

IMO the takes of those I'm referring to (that I'm calling rabid nationalism) are exponentially more "interesting" to any reasonable rational person

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I said rabid nationalism

IMO the takes of those I'm referring to (that I'm calling rabid nationalism) are exponentially more "interesting" to any reasonable rational person
Okay, so Europeans are somehow rabidly nationalistic when they watch the World Championship but the same assertion does not apply to Canadians watching the WJC. Quite the double standard you've got there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad