Olympics vs World Cup

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Everyone is going to say Olympics.

Also - team europe and NA probably doesnt happen again in a new world cup.

Reactions: Stubu

Rob Bowen

Jan 13, 2019
Everyone is going to say Olympics.

Also - team europe and NA probably doesnt happen again in a new world cup.
I agree. You can't have Matthews and McDavid on the Under 24 team when theyre two of the best players on their respective national teams.

Rob Bowen

Jan 13, 2019
Olympics by far and away.

But if the league was smart and could put together a legitimate long-term vision for the World Cup, having them alternate every other two years would be most ideal.
Do you think owners would put up with every two years risking losing their players to injury before and during the season?
I know they split revenue from the world cup but the Olympics as far as I know doesn't give any financial reward to owners.

The risk seems to high without any reward.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Do you think owners would put up with every two years risking losing their players to injury before and during the season?
I know they split revenue from the world cup but the Olympics as far as I know doesn't give any financial reward to owners.

The risk seems to high without any reward.

That is certainly the biggest issue. The league will definitely want to receive concessions from the IOC in order to make it worth their while.

But in terms of growing the game, if they can pull it off like soccer does with two major tournaments alternating similarly, I think it would only help the league gain inroads internationally.

member 157595

As a hockey fan the Olympics, but I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I'd be furious if one of my team's key players get a serious injury during an international tournament.

f*** the World Cup, now and forever.

Rob Bowen

Jan 13, 2019
That is certainly the biggest issue. The league will definitely want to receive concessions from the IOC in order to make it worth their while.

But in terms of growing the game, if they can pull it off like soccer does with two major tournaments alternating similarly, I think it would only help the league gain inroads internationally.
I agree the more international play the better for growing the game. The issue is that the league and PA first need to agree in a CBA on the world cup and then the IOC comes in to play for the olympics.

At the current state I think the league wants one or the other.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
A World Cup has the potential to be much, much better than the Olympic tournament could ever be. Prime time games played in hockey mad venues around the world culminating in a World Cup Final would be incredible.

That will never happen though because the NHL is more concerned with their brand than they are with the game of hockey.

And therefore the Olympics is our only good option for international competition. :thumbd:

Reactions: Legionnaire

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
WC could have the potential of becoming better, if it would be done with cooperation with IIHF and organized during the summer. That of course, is not going to happen. Even if the Olympics have some flaws and it's in middle of the season (not just for the NHL but every league), it's still better than what the last WC was.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Olympics easily. The NHL World Cup is hardly a thing at all, even the IIHF World Championships are more meaningful.

Reactions: adamnowek

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah would have to say Olympics rather easily. The World Cup was fun but it just wasn't the same and loss some legitimacy with the whole team Europe thing.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Olympics.
If the World Cup replaced the Olympics, and it was run only by the IIHF, and it copied the format of the Olympics and NHL players were available to play, it was every 4 years, (no mater what the NHL and PA are fighting about), then it would be an acceptable replacement for the Olympics to me.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad